OT-sorry - dog lovers - remove band aid??

Jennifer D.
on 1/1/10 8:41 am
I apologize for the OT topic but does anyone know how to get a band aid off a dog painlessly? Last night my son called me to come home because my dog got her elizabethan collar off, ate through her bandages AND her stitches. I panicked and taped the wound together with band aids - dumb move!! I only used the sticky part and it's over the open wound and stitches that were left. Stressing out : | Any ideas?
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
Riceroni
on 1/1/10 8:47 am - London, Canada
 use cotton balls dipped in baby or olive oil.  or q tips

Jennifer D.
on 1/1/10 10:05 am
Thanks. I was panicking and everything I read said to use alcohol.
                                      Jennifer
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
(deactivated member)
on 1/1/10 10:26 am - Canada
Pull it the way the hair grows.....as opposed to against the hair.
Good luck!!!!
(deactivated member)
on 1/1/10 10:00 pm - Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
Stop!  I know this post may be too late but if the she ate through her bandage and stitches, she NEEDS TO GO TO THE VET!  My daughter is a veterinary technician and she says that is the best (safest) thing to do.

NEVER use alcohol on a wound as it kills cut tissue and then you have a whole other set of issues.  Baby oil is also not a good thing to put on a wound as it's meant for external use only. 

During the surgery there would have been a sub-cutaneous layer of stitches, so there is no risk of her wound opening up all the way.  The problem here is that of doing damage to the skin layer of the wound.

If many stitches were chewed out and it's a large wound, then leave the bandaid and get her to the vet.  If it's just a very small wound then you can have someone hold the dog and, using gentle pressure, hold down the skin with one hand and GENTLY work the bandaid loose.  Take your time and try not to pull the edge of the wound any more than you have to.  This WILL be uncomfortable for the dog so be warned that she may react.

In the meantime, you can try putting an old piece of clean clothing over the wound and replacing the eliz. collar....just keep a close eye on her.

If you need anymore info pls PM me.  My daughter lives with me, so she's available to answer your questions.

Goodluck
Mo
Ruth E H.
on 1/1/10 10:42 pm - Renfrew, Canada
Probably too late for my 2 cents, but............take her back to the vet for sure.

Miss Belody
on 1/1/10 11:17 pm - Keswick, Canada
I would also take her back to vet, but if you aren't going to I would just use plain water to help get bandage off painlessly.  Good Luck whatever you do.
  www.missbelody.com-My Website  Current Weight 137, 13 pounds below Target

paula-37
on 1/2/10 12:21 am - brantford, Canada
 Hi Jennifer i would take her to the vet. my friends dog ate through his bandages and his stitches so
she took him and they checked out the wound all was fine.i hope this helps i am sorry i did not see the post earlier.good luck and let us know how  she is.
SINCERLY YOURS YOUR OH FRIEND
PAULA(paula-37)

Jennifer D.
on 1/5/10 10:53 am
I know this thread is old, sorry to bump it up but I just wanted to thank everyone for their help. I took my little monster to the vet yesterday and as Mo said, the lower level of stitches was intact. I also searched the city and found her a better collar that she can't get out of. Thanks again : )
                                      Jennifer
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
Most Active
Recent Topics