Questions

one-last-chance
on 11/22/11 8:49 am - Teeswater, Canada

While I have been considering WLS for some time.  I am hoping to be soon placed on list.
I am 327 lbs at 5foot 2 in
I have had some serious health problems including pumlonary embolli, or clots in lung twice.  I habe been waiting to be put on list 6 months post emboli.  So I am hoping to see myself on list.
I have had success with WW in the past but not in recent years.  I am a member but I find it hard to even complete one day on program.  Mobility is increasingly difficult and painful due to wt, knee problem and a connective tissue disorder.
I am just wondering will this work for me?
What is the right attitude.  I see posts about regain and it scares me.
I would love comments from people,
Were you worried about the risks of the surgery?
Have many of you had complications?
My mom asks me if I could do that shake for 4 weeks preop, then why couldn't  I just adopt that attitude and loose the weight?  I do not have the answer to such questions.  
I'd love any feedback.
Thanks

Sher1ock
on 11/22/11 9:42 am - Canada
Some questiions can only be answered by yourself, of course - and even those answers may change from day to day.

Will this work for you?  Depends on whether or not you treat it as a window of opportunity to make some real changes and don't treat it like a magic solution to heal all your woes.  It does have a greater likeliehood of giving you a fighting chance than anything else you have tried.

Some people regain.  Many don't.  If it scares you just enough to encourage you to do whatever is required to succeed, then your fear is a good thing.

Was i worried about the risks of surgery?  Not as much as I was worried about the risks of untreated obesity or the idea of emergency surgery after my stroke, or heart attack or diabetic crisis or joint replacement...or whatever else was waiting for me down the road.

At four months out, I have had no issues, no complications.

Your mom's question is a based on assumptions that are false, but easy to make.  First of all, it is easier to do something for a few weeks when at the end of it, there is a dramatic change in store.  Secondly, the optifast period creates a process in your body that results in most people not really having hunger.  Hunger is both a physiological response to chemical messages to your brain and an emotional response to whatever triggers you, including the simple force of habit.  On optifast, and post surgery, you may  experience a temporary reprieve from physical hunger which will afford you the opportunity to examine emotional hunger for what it is.  Many people ask me how I can deal with eating only small portions.  They can't picture it, but it is as if my "food libido" has disappeared.  The desire is just not there, so it's not a big issue at this time.

It is hard to understand, but it's kind of a different reality.  Sort of like when your ears pop and you all of the suddden realize you weren't hearing very well before, at the time, you thought everything was fine.

Keep reading, keep posting and start your process of change - one moment at a time.

ToNewBeginnings
on 11/22/11 9:45 am, edited 11/21/11 9:46 pm
These are good questions.
I guess a general answer to what is the 'right attitude' would be a 'positive one'.
I think it is important to be motivated enough to want to make changes for life.
And to realize they are for life. Taking vitamins daily, no eating and drinking at the same time. Making conscious efforts to choose healthier food, lower in sugar and fat and processed carbohydrates.

I would ask yourself why you find it hard to complete one day on the WW program. Is it because you feel like you are starving, ...is it because you have tried to lose weight so many times you believe it won't work anymore, that you will fail and so why bother?...or is it some other reason?

Having had success in the past means you can follow guidelines. This is good. This is what a nutritionist will look for

As for regain, I believe we can all regain. We have to adopt a healthier lifestyle, and make better choices for the most part. It is easier with the help surgery.

Yes I was worried about the risks from surgery and I waited a while before deciding to have it. What made me sure? Another fail diet and more weight gain. To the point that I couldn't stand it anymore. I was killing myself anyway.

There are those who have had complications and some serious. My complication was major constipation. It's under control.

Many people think like your mom. It's not just about attitude. Our bodies are complicated machines. We "'diet" and they say "what the heck is going on?"..."are you starving me?" and they make us eat. That's very over-simplified and it's a vicious circle. I know others will have advice to help you answer your mothers questions. Glad you posted.

Good luck with you decisions.
-Yvonne
PatXYZ
on 11/22/11 9:54 am
Hi One-Last-Chance - I'm a fellow pre-oper about to have surgery in the new year. Here is what I've learned over the past year that might be of use to you.

I think most people manage the 2-4 weeks of optifast only because they see the light at the end of the tunnel - otherwise it would seem futile because the weight will just be gained back once you go back to solid food. But in the case of RNY surgery, you have 2 things assisting you; 1) the ability to feel satisfied on a much smaller amount of food because your stomach has been dramatically reduced in size, and 2) the temporary calorie malabsorption that means your body does not absorb all the calories you take in. So there are two ways the surgery helps you lose weight, plus you get the assistance of nutritionists and social workers to help you learn about nutrition and deal with your issues with food, if you have any.

Many people think surgery is the 'easy' way out. It's not easy. There is sacrifice and work. But it is an advantage that can make losing weight possible where it seemed impossible before. It's also important to have realistic expectations. You are not likely to lose 100% of your extra weight. Statistically, you are likely to lose and keep off in the long-term about 65% of your excess weight with RNY. That is enough to give you a significant improvement in a lot of health and mobility issues. Most people hit a lowest weight and then 'bounce-back' a few pounds and settle into a more permanent weight. People that regain significantly usually have some sort of complication, or have abandoned the eating plan required of people post-op (protein first, moderate healthy fats, lower in carbs).

At your BMI, you may also be eligible to meet with Dr. Hong at St. Joseph's in Hamilton to discuss the DS surgery, which may help you to lose even more weight than the RNY. It does require more protein, vitamin and mineral supplementation than the RNY though, so I'd recommend you read up about the different surgeries and the benefits and potential complications of each.

WLS can work for almost anyone... if you want this, have reasonable expectations and understand what you need to do to be successful - you almost certainly will be.
StevesGal
on 11/22/11 10:02 am - Hamilton, Canada
As others have said, it's all individual.  As Myke H. is fond of saying, "Your Milage May Vary".  You get out of it what you put into it.

Personally, at nearly 5 months out, I have had no complications (other than finding out my eating limits the hard way - throwing up).  I feel much better, the joy of fitting into smaller clothes, or seeing current ones getting too big, is beyond belief.  And there are many other victories that don'tinvolve either food or clothes.  (NSV = Non Surgical Victory.)

I feel that I am more successful with WLS than just on WW is because on WW, you can fall back into old habits without any repercussions (aside from weight gain).  With WLS, if you eat too much, your pouch will 'punish' you for it - and you'll think twice about doing it again.

Yes, your food attitude will change - for the good and for life.  But oh, what a life you will have!!  And a longer one, too!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

sam1am
on 11/22/11 11:19 am
 An NSV is a Non Scale Victory   :)

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

smiley_k
on 11/22/11 10:43 am
Hi One-last-chance,

First off welcome to the forum and congratulations on taking the first steps into making your life healthier, wether you go through the surgery or not, because I think that just going through the process, becoming more mindful, will help overall, but the surgery itself is the biggest tool in helping to achieve your weightloss goals. I can't answer all your questions because I'm only four months out and don't have experience in certain areas, but I will try my best with my understanding. 

First off, on attitude, being positive always helps, but it's more understanding that the pouch is a tool not an instant fix. It's up to you how you use it. I personally believe this is why regain occurs. From what I've read on the forums, the first year or two are the honeymoon phase. The weight comes of quickly, you go shopping in smaller stores, rediscover yourself and come out at the end of your vacation looking like a brand new person. Then, about two years out, it's like being back home after the honeymoon and you realize all the routines and things waiting for you back home to take care of. It takes some work to maintain what you've accomplished, but if you stay pretty regimented and stick to the plan, it's not too bad. Again, I'm only four months post up, but this is my understanding that it only gets harder (or stays the same), not easier. That being said, at four months out, I still think it's worth it. 

Will it work for you? I don't know, statistically, the odds are in your favour, most people have a fair amount of success with bariatric surgery. I have conditions working against me that made traditional weightloss methods pretty useless to me and I found information online and from my doctors about other patients like me who underwent bariatric surgery to see their results and set a guideline for myself. I recommend doing this for you as well. Google Bariatric surgery and some of the issues you mentioned you had and see what comes up. Be mindful that not everything on the internet is supported by fact and you must be critical of what you read, read multiple articles and develop your own understandings based on that.

Of course I was worried about the risks of surgery. I wanted to be prepared, so I read and researched as much as I could. With everything I read, I began to understand a bit more, but the back end of that is I got freaked out by the whole process a bit more. I looked at it logically, weighed the pros and cons and found that most of the things on my con list were superficial (like missing foods) or were about not making it out on the otherside. I spoke with my doctor (well more the secretary because my surgeon wasn't available) openly about my concerns, they validated them, saying I was completely normal and gave me more specific stats that were again hard to take in, but helpful in easing my mind when I looked at it rationally. 

Complications? Yes, while in surgery, the staple gun they use to create the pouch misfired and my doctor, not wanting to risk missing any part of my stomach, decided to remove the staples in that portion of the stomach and hand sew the pouch to ensure a tight seal. Then after surgery, while recovering in the hospital, I was sent for an xray test that checked for leaks to ensure that eberything was okay. I wasn't even aware of this until the day after surgery but my surgeon took care of it and it wasn't a big deal. I also ended up back in hospital, days after being discharged for dehydration. It was hard, but because I was prepared presurgery, I was able to identify what was happening pretty quickly and get the treatment I needed. It ended up more of a pain (because by that point I just really wanted to recover at home in my own bed then be in the hospital anymore) than a major problem. 

Whatever you choose, do your research, know your options, discuss with your doctors and know that you have the power to change your mind right up until they put you under. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Katie  ♥     

one-last-chance
on 11/22/11 12:50 pm - Teeswater, Canada
Thanks for the replies every one.  Great advice.
Karen W.
on 11/22/11 9:39 pm - Canada
Success is more likely with WLS than with WW.  Personally, I felt like I was starving on WW, which led to binge eating and general non-compliance with the program.  I also got very frustrated watching the rate of weight loss of my WW colleagues, as my loss was extremely slow.  Now I get hungry a couple of hours after eating, but a very small snack takes care of it.

I had a lot of fear about the surgery.  I researched it like crazy; I was mostly afraid of the risk of mortality, as I have a young son who needs me.  In the end, I decided to have faith and go through with it. I was more afraid of the life that was ahead of me without WLS than I was of the risks of WLS.  I also thought about being there for my son through a longer part of his adult life, helping him with his kids, stuff like that.

I had minor complications (my bladder wouldn't "wake up" and function, so I had to stay in hospital for 2 extra days and get cathetarized until I could pee on my own - TMI?).  Since surgery, the only issue I've had is constipation (which is managed with colace and milk of magnesia).

I can eat pretty well whatever I want... but most of the time I don't.  I'm committed to long-term lifestyle change.  You may want to ask yourself what you are willing to change for life before you commit to WLS.

good luck with your decision.

RNY April 11, 2011       

Monica M.
on 11/23/11 2:49 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
Congratulations on coming here for advice! There are lots of friendly, knowledgeable people here.

I had surgery March 2 of this year, no complications, able to tolerate any food i've tried so far (just some nausea when i eat too fast, or the chicken isnt moist enough).

As others have said, the right attitude is a positive one. Also, an attitude that says "when i need help, i'll ask for it".

One thing that's made the biggest difference for me, was reaching out for help from others. I'd suggest that you find a support group in your area. Also, come back here and read people's posts, questions, answers etc. It might be helpful for your mom to come to a support group as well, or log in here and ask her own questions from people who have been there. Its understandable that our loved ones are concerned, and want the best for us, and are concerned that surgery is a huge step.

Regain is a real problem. It takes ongoing committment to stop that from happening. Keeping in touch with your support group, participating on here, in such threads as "what are you doing/eating today". My success so far, i attribute to keeping track of everything i eat on the website livestrong.com. I use the myplate application,w hich tracks my calories, protein, carbs and fat intake. I can also log in my exercise. It gives me a calorie limit to work within, according to my weight loss goals. That's something you can even try now, while you're waiting to be referred.

Your mom's got a valid question. Remind her that Oprah lost a significant amount of weight on the Optifast diet, but she regained it. (remember that episode where she came on stage in size 6 jeans, dragging a wagon full of fat?). Reassure your mom that you've got a bit of a wait ahead of you, so you can look at other options for weight loss while you're waiting for your appointments to happen. And she can use that time to learn more about why this surgery is so successful. She can come to your appointments with you to learn more, so she can be a good support for you, and so she can reassure her fears.

Optifast is a good way of losing a bunch of weight quickly, but the risk of regain after completing that is huge.

Complications happen, but they're usually minor, like a stricture or something like that, that can be resolved quickly. Keep in mind that the surgeons don't want to mess up, they're going to do their very best work. It looks bad on them, and reduces the chances of further funding for their program, if they have a lot of complications. The death rate of the surgery is, i think, 1 in 100, but i believe that's based on the US. Here in Ontario, at the bariatric centres that rate is way less than that.

I had my surgery this year, after 20 years of being obese. I wish i had done it 15 years ago, and not wasted so much of my life being obese and hating myself for not having the right attitude  about weight loss.

I have so much energy now. I can run for 20 minutes, i do the elliptical for about 45. I can bend over and tie my shoes, i can get into a car normally, i fit into the seats at the movies with no problem at all. I love me, now. I love my life.

Most Active
Recent Topics