how long after surgery can I go back to using tanning beds?

racerchick_68
on 4/1/12 12:18 pm
Just curious how long after surgery can I start going back to the tanning salon?
Im 6 days post op btw,

Thanks Amy
Referral: Sept 21, 2011   Info HRRH : Jan 26, 2012  Nurse: Fe b 6, 2012   SW: Feb 6, 2012  
Nut class: Feb 3, 2012    
Diet/Nut:Feb 6, 2012     Surgeon: Feb 8, 2012   Surgery Date:
March 27, 2012

PatXYZ
on 4/1/12 12:28 pm
Preferably never so you don't get skin cancer.
Monica M.
on 4/1/12 10:36 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
lol. nice, Pat...

sam1am
on 4/1/12 12:55 pm
I think they are dangerous too (coming from someone who has had a melanoma), but in my humble opinion I think that as long as your incisions are covered I can't see anything stopping you, besides the danger.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

JJ_
on 4/1/12 2:19 pm
I would certainly wait until I had enough fluid intake each day.  My concern would be if you were sweating and becoming dehydrated.

Megan M.
on 4/1/12 9:52 pm - Canada
Go to Sephora and buy yourself some St. Tropez tanning mousse and a mitt applicator.  You'll never believe how fabulous that stuff is.  I just gave myself a going over last night, in fact!  Now I'm a lovely natural colour.  And you'll never have to expose yourself to the nasty rays of a tanning bed ever again.  And it doesn't smell bad either!

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

Mary A.
on 4/3/12 12:45 am
On April 2, 2012 at 4:52 AM Pacific Time, Megan M. wrote:
Go to Sephora and buy yourself some St. Tropez tanning mousse and a mitt applicator.  You'll never believe how fabulous that stuff is.  I just gave myself a going over last night, in fact!  Now I'm a lovely natural colour.  And you'll never have to expose yourself to the nasty rays of a tanning bed ever again.  And it doesn't smell bad either!
I have never been a supporter of tanning beds and last year I inquired about spray tans and think this year I will try it out. 

(I like your suggesiton)..so no melanoma for me

Dr. Marlis Shapiro was on Canada AM this morning talking about this VERY topic.!!

http://healthblog.ctv.ca/post/Dramatic-rise-in-skin-cancer-i ncidence-in-US.aspx

The study found the incidence of melanoma increased eightfold among young women and fourfold among young men. The lifetime risk of melanoma is higher in males than females, but the opposite is true in young adults and adolescents according to their data.

Studies have reported that people who use indoor tanning beds frequently are 74 per cent more likely to develop melanoma, and we know young women are more likely to use them than young men according to this report.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

racerchick_68
on 4/2/12 12:05 am
Everything causes cancer these days and everything is harmful to your body so i dont think alil extra vitamin d is gonna do much damage for all the times i do go tanning
Referral: Sept 21, 2011   Info HRRH : Jan 26, 2012  Nurse: Fe b 6, 2012   SW: Feb 6, 2012  
Nut class: Feb 3, 2012    
Diet/Nut:Feb 6, 2012     Surgeon: Feb 8, 2012   Surgery Date:
March 27, 2012

PatXYZ
on 4/2/12 3:10 am
You don't get vitamin D from modern tanning beds. If the place you go has really old ones, you might get a little, but then you're getting extra ultraviolet light. Much safer to simply take a D3 supplement.

Not everything causes cancer, but going into a tanning bed is no different than laying out on a beach in 30 degree weather with no sunscreen. Not only do you risk cancer, but ugly, leathery and wrinkly skin when you are older. Just ask my sun-worshiping grandmother who has consistently looked about 15 years older than she is since she was 50!
birdiegirl
on 4/2/12 8:26 am

Agree completely with Pat here....NBC news carried a segment a few nights ago re putting a safety warning on Tanning Parlours....similiar warnings that are on cigarettes packages

Also - this may have been mentioned in this thread already....but scars do not tan well....they can go very dark

Most Active
Recent Topics