Loaf · 2 replies · 108 views
phishing, be careful of a Kadi8
roxytrim · 4 replies · 144 views
Coming home!
Gohopchick · 2 replies · 84 views

Documenting rashes, infections after surgery

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/12 8:38 am - Canada
In order to qualify for OHIP assistance to remove excess skin (panni)... I have read in previous posts about documenting rashes, infections, etc.  that are a result of rapid weight loss.  Does this mean physically reporting each rash with your doctor directly?  What is the criteria for documenting?
Monica M.
on 10/18/12 8:39 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
i believe it means physically reporting each and every one to your doctor, and having it examined.

depends how cooperative your doctor is.

Mary A.
on 10/18/12 11:25 am
On October 18, 2012 at 8:39 AM Pacific Time, Monica M. wrote:
i believe it means physically reporting each and every one to your doctor, and having it examined.

depends how cooperative your doctor is.

exactly...I didn't do that I chose to look after my rashes and open wounds myself..getting into see my doctor is a chore, but then again maybe I didn't want to lift my pannus to show him..not sure.

but yes...have it checked and if if necessary keep going back

one of the criteria I believe for any hope of having it covered is that it has to be medically necessary...doctors have more clout than we give  them credit for...

just my personal experience after all I had to go through to appeal my original denial of a pannilectomy from OHIP

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

dana8221
on 10/18/12 9:43 am - Canada
I had 3 c-sections and where my scar was I was prone to rashes and infections. I made sure I went into the doctor to get examined and get new anti fungal cream. When my PS apied to OHIP for my panni removal my family doactor wrote a fantastic letter ( he has been amazing through all of this) and detailed all the dates and times I had been in. My PS was actully surprised OHIP approved it but based on the rash/infection history it could not be denied I needed it.

Do what you think is necessary. I knew that having proof was one way OHIP could not say no.

Pats jan 18th to today 106lbs-Surgery jan 27th to today 96!!
cutekatie
on 10/18/12 12:09 pm
RNY on 05/16/12
What about going to a walk in clinic? I have the exact same question and have struggles getting into seeing my PCP - like it takes two weeks for an appt.

HW 282     OW 273     SW 247    CW 183

dana8221
on 10/18/12 1:18 pm - Canada
I think they send the reports from the walkin to your family doctor anyway.  it is all registered with your health card so it should be ok?
cutekatie
on 10/18/12 4:48 pm
RNY on 05/16/12
Yes it is a walk in clinic that I have to go to when my regular physician is unavailible.

Good to know.

HW 282     OW 273     SW 247    CW 183

Mary A.
on 10/19/12 6:00 am
On October 18, 2012 at 4:48 PM Pacific Time, cutekatie wrote:
Yes it is a walk in clinic that I have to go to when my regular physician is unavailible.

Good to know.

the only possible difficulty with walk-in clinics, if you go to a variety of them your records could be lost..all the OHIP billing or records show is that you had a visit forXXXX

it doesn't keep any definitive type of record for what the patient was actually seen for

I know because I took OHIP billing in College

...and if you pay attention, during your walk-in visit...the doctor will have a sheet that just states what you are requesting to be seen for.  At any walk-in clinic I have been to you do not have any previous information or a medical file and although they ask.
"do you have a regular doctor or do you have a doctor), please know that your files do NOT always get where they need to go.

The plus side to that is that you can take a photocopy of any cream prescribed or the receipt and informaiton from the pharmacy and keep it in a folder.

Your best bet is to try and go to the same walk-in clinic as frequently as you can and keep track of the dates and then on your next visit to your regular doctor ask him/her (did you receive the reports from my visit(s) to the walk-in clinic regarding my rash in the pannus area?.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary

Mary A.
on 10/19/12 6:01 am
On October 18, 2012 at 1:18 PM Pacific Time, dana8221 wrote:
I think they send the reports from the walkin to your family doctor anyway.  it is all registered with your health card so it should be ok?

the visit is registered as a 1st consult....and then hopefullya s I posted in this thread your record of yoru visit actually makes it to your regular GP...but be proactive and make sur ethese things get done.

Mary