bee28 · 9 replies · 74 views
Optifast questions
Ipatton · 4 replies · 96 views
Date ? check !!!
jaxie77 · 18 replies · 158 views

liver enzymes

Monica9811
on 10/22/12 12:20 pm - Peterborough, Canada
 I have had all my appts and saw my surgeon to get my optifast-my date isnt going to be until February as I have 3 vacations in Mexico before that-yes it is crazy but tell my husband that! We went over my bloodwork and all was good but my liver enzymes were elevated-now I do like to drink and can hold my beer well-have been very good since I started this journey and only drink beer every now and then...that being said going to mexico I will drink lots and I am wondering if by having elevated liver enzymes if that will prevent me from having surgery...any thoughts on this. My doctor said he would retest during my PATT but I said I am sure they will still be elevated because of my trip and he just smiled-said "oh all inclusive" and I said yep. I never mentioned the 3 vacations-5  weeks in Mexico just the one in January...he never said anything else but I just wanted to know what others thought...and don't tell me not to drink haha.  I know I can't drink once I have this surgery and I am fine with that but in Mexico I will be living it up.

Robin H.
on 10/22/12 12:27 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada
my centre required us to be alcohol free for at least 3 months prior to surgery so unsure of your instance

Monica9811
on 10/22/12 12:37 pm - Peterborough, Canada
I have heard that from others but both the nurse and my surgeon know about my vacation and never said anything. 

CraigMacgregor
on 10/22/12 12:43 pm
I'm going to Guelph on the 6th for my appointments SW, Nurse & Nut.  Does anyone know if they require us to be 3 months booze free.  I too enjoy a drink but have cut it mostly out. But nowhere does it say you have to be alchol free for 3 months

Referral June 13 2012,     Meeting Dr Reed Sept 10/ 2012,    Orientation 9/20/12                            Nurse, SW Nut visit Nov 10/6/12    Post op class 1/22 /13   Surgeon appointment April 9/13  Surgery May30/2013

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/12 1:30 pm - Guelph, Canada
 i think with Guelph its booze free for 3 months before surgery... i am not a drinker so it really never came up.. give the clinic a call and ask them.. 
nata
on 10/22/12 12:45 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Elevated enzymes are mostly caused by fatty liver (Hepatic steatosis) and you won't see them normalizing until approximately two years postop, as rapid weight loss puts additional strain on your liver. The surgeon knows it very well.

However you'll see some (minor) improvement after optifast, as this diet specifically targets this liver fat, Sooo, they just want to see positive dynamics after opti. This would indicate that your problem indeed is fatty liver (like all of us had/have) and not something else going on.
Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
Monica9811
on 10/22/12 1:00 pm - Peterborough, Canada
Thanks Nata!  I was just curious-he didn't seem alarmed but I just wanted some reassurance. 

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/12 12:50 pm - Straford, Canada
 imo I would not take silence on the part of your doctor or nurse as a get out of jail card.  Did you talk with the NUT about your drinking plans pre op?  I don't know which centre you're working with but at TWH meeting the surgeon for me meant I had been discussed by the NUT, NP, Psych, and SW and on rounds with the surgery team as a good candidate.  If I brought up a vacation with the surgeon I would guess he would barely have noticed imo.  Did you ask the doc what would happen if your liver enzymes were elevated during your PATT?  Sounds to me like you're risking your surgery for some short term fun. But Gawd I'm wrong so often, ignore me!  Have Lots of Fun!
Monica9811
on 10/22/12 1:05 pm - Peterborough, Canada
Thanks Ian.  I didn't discuss much other than my journal with my NUT but like I said did talk to the nurse and doctor about going away and what i would be doing while on vacation.  We talked about it in both my sessions.  I was just not wanting any surprises (as I read about that alot on here) so I guess that is why I asked.  If it was really bad both he and my family doctor who just did full bloodwork for a physical would have said more.  I have always had a fatty liver and he said it wasn't unusual.

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/12 2:15 pm - Straford, Canada
sorry Monica9811,  I reread my comment and sounded holier than thou and I didn't mean to!  I was so paranoid about everything pre op if someone made an offhand comment I would rush home and research it like crazy to make sure I was on the thumbs up side of any issue that could potentially effect my surgery.  sorry for my tone, I never mean to sound all knowing (because I know so little) nor mean.  
Nanato2
on 10/22/12 12:59 pm, edited 10/22/12 1:01 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13
This is only my thoughts but  elevated liver enzymes can indicate there is something going on with your liver and not just that your liver is fatty there are other things that cause liver enzynes to be elevated. So if during your PATT and depending on the doctor if they are still elevated they may choose to hold off doing your surgery until they figure out what is going on.
My surgeons appt. is in Dec so my surgery will be sometime in 2013 and I am going away to all inclusive resort in 2013 for a weddiing and everyone has asked me what are you going to do about drinking and I have told them I have made the choice to have this surgery to be healthier so there is no issue I will not be drinking even if I had not had the surgery by then as I want to have a healthy liver.
I know you say not to tell you not to drink but what is important to you the drinking or you having the surgery to be a new healthier you. 

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

CraigMacgregor
on 10/22/12 2:05 pm
I dont know, maybe its just me but I had no idea about alchohol.  It really isnt a problem for me but wouldnt it be easy to say at orientation "oh ya by the way no booze 3 months prior to surgery"
I'm not trying to be a dick but I'd be some pissed if surgery got delayed cause I had a glass of wine and wasnt informed it was a no no

Referral June 13 2012,     Meeting Dr Reed Sept 10/ 2012,    Orientation 9/20/12                            Nurse, SW Nut visit Nov 10/6/12    Post op class 1/22 /13   Surgeon appointment April 9/13  Surgery May30/2013

sam1am
on 10/22/12 2:38 pm
I'm not a doctor and don't play one on TV, so take this with a grain of salt.  It was suggested to someone on another board, to take milk thistle for high liver enzemes.  Mine have been great since I started taking it.  Please don't take my word on this, do your own research, just something to look into.  If anyone has any comments, about milk thistle, I'm more than open to hear them!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

gardeninggal
on 10/22/12 3:00 pm - Midland, Canada
 Great thread....I read in the airplane magazine on a flight to the DR that coconu****er is a natural liver detoxifying drink.  You could have one drink and chase it with coconu****er and it all sounds great.  Happy planning and happy vaca  but most of all hope all goes well for your surgery criteria.

msheavyhearted
on 10/22/12 7:38 pm - Marathon, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
OK... I know you said you didn't want anyone to tell you not to drink but I'll do it anyway....

Don't drink!! (Or at least don't plan on being inebriated 5 weeks just prior to your surgery.)

All-inclusive doesn't mean you have to over indulge - whether it be food or alcohol.

Here's the thing. Your liver is uber important. If your enzymes are elevated it may signal that you have an underlying issue. Many people know that one of the livers' functions is to detoxify. Did you also know that it is responsible for making the clotting factors that help prevent bleeding during surgery? It also plays a huge role in iron storage. If I was about to undergo major abdominal surgery I'd want to make certain my liver was functioning nicely, thank you very much.

Ask yourself this question: What if I go for my PATTS and they find I'm anemic or my blood is taking longer than normal to clot? (And they do check!) What if they cancel my surgery?

I think you already knew that perhaps you weren't making the best choice. You say "that being said going to mexico I will drink lots" and " I never mentioned the 3 vacations-5 weeks in Mexico just the one in January". Is going to Mexico going to be one long 5-week drink-fest? You do realize you can have a good time while drinking in moderation, right?

BTW, you CAN drink post-op. Not right away but you can incorporate it back into a healthy diet - I just wouldn't advocate an "all-you-can-drink" attitude for anyone - be they pre- or post-op.

Want to join the CRAZY TransCanada Challenge?? Just message me. Here's a link to the rules: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4570778/REPOST-The-CRAZY-TransCanada-Challenge-Rules/

CoffeeLady1975
on 10/23/12 6:17 am - Canada
also there are many factors that can increase your liver enzymes.  Any medication that is excreted from your liver such as tylenol will elevate your enzymes.

Be careful drinking on your vacation - we have to drink Opti for 2-6 weeks prior to surgery to help "flush" the fat from our liver to reduce tearing during surgery.  Alcohol in excess, because it is processed by your liver, can cause the liver to be friable (causing tears).    turning your nice laproscopic procedure into an open procedure to repair your liver.  Enjoy the sun, not the bar 

Monica9811
on 10/23/12 11:25 am - Peterborough, Canada
Thanks!!