"Barretts Esophagus"

mermaidz
on 2/16/13 9:05 am - Brampton, Canada

I wrote about this after my scope  Jan 25. Turns out I do have Barrett's Esophagus

".....occurs at the junction of your esophagus and stomach, and usually those with GERD get it .  The tissue that lines your esophagus is replaced with tissue similar to tissue that lines your intestines This tissue has a low risk of developing a kind of cancer called esophageal adenocarcinoma"  Requires close "surveillance"   Esophageal adenocarcinoma is frequently not detected until its later stages when treatments are not always effective.

I also have GERD but I never feel anything like heartburn at all. The treatment for the GERD is Prevacid and Sulcrate which I'm on anyhow. I'm a bit confused about having something that doesn't cause me pain but Dr Huynh said some people do and some don't.

I'm feeling kind of "Zen" about this whole "could develop into a cancer" idea. There's a very long lineage of colon cancer on my maternal side so I go get "scoped" for that once a year. My Dad died of lung cancer and I know I have benign polyps in my lungs.

I'm going to die some day. Hopefully of natural causes and not too soon but... it just doesn't bother me.

Am I missing something? I'm just very peaceful about this not being an immortal superhuman (that was traumatic finding that out lol)

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

P_Floyd
on 2/16/13 9:48 am - Canada

Before surgery I was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus and my doctor switched me from Prevacid to Dexilant. I have since my last scope been free of Barrett's and well healed from the damage. Maybe you should ask your doctor about it.

Transition from that immortal self of youth to the end is coming and too damn too time of life is a little like getting a mortgage. You know the bill is in the mail. Still, what better reason to make the most of the time you do have?

Long you live and high you fly 
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry 
And all you touch and all you see 
Is all your life will ever be.

DSOTM

mermaidz
on 2/16/13 9:49 pm - Brampton, Canada

"You know the bill is in the mail".... damn near snorted my coffee thru my nose,  Pinkie lol

That's an awesome way of putting it.. and YES DAMMIT I'm gonna have a good time while there is time!

Dexilant...you don't say.. I'm seeing my family Doc Wed and I'll add this to the list. One less item on my "bill" would be fine with me lol

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

Most Active
Recent Topics