What I learned so far on Optifast.,(A bit long)

KarenHope
on 4/4/13 10:09 am
RNY on 04/15/13

Does your centre allow coffee? Do you have to switch to Decaf coffee? Do you even like coffee?

If you centre allow full caffeine coffee then skip the next paragraph.

I switched to decaf over a year ago when they suggested we do that at my orientation. I think that is why I have not had the headaches that some have complained about on Optifast. I would suggest you wean yourself to decaf now so you won't have that to deal with. I did it gradually, quarter decaf for a bit, then half decaf for a bit then finally full decaf over a period of a month.

Optifast is so much better blended with ice that just cold water.

So I made ice cubes with decaf coffee. I used my Magic bullet to blend the coffee cubes along with more cold coffee. It is delicious with either the vanilla or chocolate Opti.

I also bought some sugar free Torani syrups. They are sold in the coffee section at Target and Walmart and some grocery stores in the States. I have raspberry, chocolate, caramel and French vanilla. I found Davinci sugar free Khaluah and Irish Cream at Winners. Apparently you can order sugar free syrups at http://markcol.com/retail-locations  and (http://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com).You can also buy sugar free syrup at Starbucks. I had to ask the staff for them since they weren’t on the shelves with the ground coffee. You can also buy flavourings in little bottles at the Bulk Barn. They are near the vanilla. I bought peppermint oil and grape.

The raspberry SF syrup was great in both the chocolate and vanilla.

Be careful with the peppermint oil. It is easy to use too much.

I also bought some MIO water enhancers in the US as we don't have as many flavours here. I used the Orange tangerine in both the vanilla and chocolate Opti. I did not like the chocolate one but if you like orange and chocolate together you might.

I mixed my Opti at home in my Magic bullet and put them is my stainless steel coffee mugs to take to work. I tend to stick to having them at 8, 12, 4 & 8. That way I get them all in. So I take 3 to work.

As for the “Opti trots” I never really had them. I started on 1 Metamucil caplet per shake and move up to two the second day. That seems just right for me. Although Ian says “never trust a fart”, not a single untrustworthy fat to be had so far.

I just finished day 11 of 21. Had my pre-admitting appointment yesterday and I am down 8 pounds, which is 2 BMI points down.

Referral Oct '11 Orientation Ottawa Dec 9 '11 NP June 25 '12 Sleep Clinic July 27 '12 

Tr to Kingston Aug '12  NP/SW/Nut Oct 1 '12 Pre-Op class - Dec 12 '12 Surgeon  Mar 4 '13    Surgery Apr 15 '13     

HW 304 CW 175 GOAL 150  

RidingFan
on 4/4/13 10:11 am - Ajax, Canada
RNY on 04/29/13

Thanks for the great advice...I am only about 10 days away from starting Opti myself so am preparing now and all tips are appreciated!!

Referred HRRH Apr.  2012, Info. Session: Sept 12/12, Surgeon Consult: Dr L Smith Sept 19/12,  RD/SW/RN/ Nov 19/12.  Surgery Date:  April 29, 2013

willowraine
on 4/4/13 10:50 am - Guelph, Canada
RNY on 02/06/13
I did the same with the coffee, switched to decaf a month or so before I started Opti. I also didn't get any crazy headaches and figured that was why.

I also mixed all my Opti with decaf coffee granules with lots of ice mixed in the Bullet. It was actually pretty good that way.

Referral Aug/11, transferred to HRRH May/12, Orientation July 4/12, Surgeon July 17/12,     RD, SW  Aug 3/12, RN Aug 22/12, Dr. Glazer/Sleep Study Sept/12, Surgeon Nov 2/12, 1st surgery date (cancelled due to to sickness) Dec 13/12, Re-scheduled for Feb 6/13

esther_cyw
on 4/4/13 11:00 am - Canada
RNY on 04/26/13

Great advice...I'm soooo going out to Winners tomorrow to pick up some sugar free flavours! I'm also glad I have a magic bullet.  I officially have 12 days of "normal" food choices until my Opti starts.  I guess I best cut the caffeine out now.

Needanewbeginning
on 4/4/13 11:33 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I just got a magic bull it from my oldest son for my birthday the other day, I must say as weird as this sounds, I can't wait to use it for my opti, yeah ok, remind me when I am loosing my mind in a few weeks ok? Haha! enlightened I tell you this ipad and this site don't mix well, can't seem to correct my spelling mistakes, sorry folks!

Annette

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Darthmummy
on 4/4/13 12:02 pm
The iPad and this site do NOT mix well at all! I thought it was just me. I've been trying to decide what flavour of opti to get and I think I'll just get vanilla. It has more flavour options.
Lolabug
on 4/4/13 11:36 am - Canada
RNY on 07/23/13

Great idea about the coffee ice cubes. I'm going to do that when its my turn!

thanks and good luck!

KarenHope
on 4/6/13 5:03 am
RNY on 04/15/13

Thanks Lolabug. To you  too.

Referral Oct '11 Orientation Ottawa Dec 9 '11 NP June 25 '12 Sleep Clinic July 27 '12 

Tr to Kingston Aug '12  NP/SW/Nut Oct 1 '12 Pre-Op class - Dec 12 '12 Surgeon  Mar 4 '13    Surgery Apr 15 '13     

HW 304 CW 175 GOAL 150  

moniquesgettingft
on 4/4/13 12:02 pm - Scarborough Ontario, Canada

I've stocked up on Davinci syrups and got me some decaf instant coffee as well. and thanks for the suggestions for the decaf ice cubes!..great idea...I start Opti next thursday

RenaDawn
on 4/5/13 3:52 am - Canada

Thanks for the great info! I'll be adding the idea about the decaf ice cubes to my "Opti File" for when it's my turn. :)

Orientation June, 2013. Surgery May, 2014 at TWH with Dr. Jackson.
HW - 296  SW - 278 CW - 214

Most Active
Recent Topics