Struggling I cant deny it any longer

truckingbride
on 4/16/13 12:10 pm - Harriston , Canada

At the end of the month I will be 8 months out RNY (Guelph) I am having such a hard time over the last month or so I dont even know where to start. I feel helpless that I can even continue with this lifestyle. This is way more work then I anticipated I guess but honestly I cant pin point what the problem is. I have a super senstitve pouch it isnt like I can eat too much really, turkey bacon and becel gives me a gut ache as an example. Just finally got rid of my ulcer. When I wake up in the morning and I step into the kitchen its like ahh I dont even want to eat breakfast because I just dont want to deal with the rest of the entire day of wanting to eat eat and eat, feeling hungry most of the time and staying at 700 calories. Last I was at the dietition she told me I was eating too much and told me to stick with 700 calories. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

renau2e
on 4/16/13 12:15 pm - Canada
RNY on 05/07/13

I am so sorry you're having such a rough time :(     I am still pre-surgery, but I think the only advice I can give is to take a step back and look at how far you've come ... you have done SO well!   Think about how you felt 8-9 months ago ... and how life feels now 123lbs smaller.   You can do this!!    Big hugs! 

Sarah

Referral sent-  Feb. 4, 2013   Referral received-  Feb. 14, 2013  Orientation- (HRRH)- Mar. 7, 2013   Sleep study-  Mar. 9, 2013   Meet Surgeon (Dr. Klein)-  March 21, 2013   SW/RD/RN- Mar. 26, 2013  Dr. Glazer-  Apr. 3, 2013 Surgeon Appt. (book surgery and pick up Opti)- Apr. 16, 2013  Start Opti- Apr. 17, 2013 PATTApr. 25, 2013   Surgery!!! May 7, 2013

Highest Weight- 345 lbs   Post-Opti/Surgery Weight ????    Goal Weight- 165 lbs

m1randa55
on 4/16/13 12:19 pm - Brantford, Canada

Thanks for reaching out and sharing your challenge.

Ask the experts, try to use your resources, and most importantly - never give up!

You have come so far, you can do this...life as its ups and downs...just like this process does.

Use your support network! You can do it

Bev from Brantford, Ontario, Canada RNY - Feb.27, 2014 @ St. Joe's Hamilton - Diabetes in Remission & Blood Pressure normal now. YAY!

HW - 303 lbs CW(pre op) - 274.5  at 5 months out 202.5 lbs Current weight on Aug.18/14 is 195 lbs May 2015 at goal - 160 pounds

Kathleen11
on 4/16/13 12:19 pm - Burlington, Canada

It's insane how the centres are so different.  Mine (Hamilton) at 3 months says to be at 1000 calories (including moderate exercise)

Are you still losing? Did the dietician take into consideration exercise? 700 seems low for 8 months out

2mar
on 4/16/13 12:19 pm
RNY on 09/20/12

Darn - so sorry you have to go through this.

You need some help. Do you have an option to go to a support group? You mention 700 cal. - are you getting your healthy proteins' in?

I am not always posting in the "what do you eat today" - but I will always read it. Do you find that that helps?

I also had a period were I had problems with certain proteins - but I was able to work around it. And even at this time I work with a dietician to help me with constipation.

Nobody said it was easy... I know.

But try to go back to the reason "why" you are doing this. You can do it! Go back to the basics and see if that makes a difference - that is what worked for me. Maybe there is a small chance it will work for you as well.

Best of luck  heart

Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

slrm2m2
on 4/16/13 12:22 pm - Canada

It's a tough learning curve and it will take practice, practice, practice to overcome the head hunger and other food issues that most of us have.  I'm struggling at 15 months out with the re-emergence of binge eating.  Don't give up on yourself...ask for support from your bariatric centre, attend a support group, read books about CBT and eating.  Good luck!

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

Marny B.
on 4/16/13 12:22 pm - Canada

You are going to feel like this from time to time.  I also had bouts of buyer's remorse.  But you know what?  Fat, skinny, it doesn't matter.  Taking care of your body (at any size) takes work.  It can feel exhausting at times.  Perhaps it is time to shake things up and try some new foods.  I often feel discouraged when I feel like I am eating the same thing all the time.  It can take some time, but why not pick a day to make some WLS friendly foods that motivate you to eat, but are "on plan", that you can freeze. That way, it will be easier for you when you are feeling frustrated.  Are you getting in your water?  When I am "on" with my water intake, I find that I don't get so hungry.  Also, if you are feeling hungry all the time, make sure you are eating proteins that are more dense, and not "slider foods" that leave you feeling empty too soon afterwards.  

You CAN do this, and really, you don't have a choice.  If you want to stay healthy, you have to live this way.  Find your inner strength, and get going.  You are stronger than you feel right now!

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

PaulaToronto
on 4/16/13 12:46 pm - Toronto, Canada

Are you still on prevacid or something similar? It sounds like you might need one if your tummy is acting up.  Stomach acid can feel like hunger.  I take two a day and probably will for life from what I have read and heard. I have a VSG but your pouch can be making too much acid too. 

There is no denying this is hard work and I was feeling just like you at around 8-9 months. I wish I could tell you it is better in maintenance but it isn't. It is still hard work for me and my caloric intake hasn't really gone up much in order for me to maintain.

You are doing great and this too shall pass.

You really shouldn't be feeling real hunger if you are eating three meals and a couple of small snacks.  That is why I am thinking it might be acid. Are you getting enough protein in to hold you between meals? What does your average day of eating look like?

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

time2changeme
on 4/16/13 1:11 pm

Big Hugs!!!  I understand and sympathize with you!  For some reason I am continuing to struggling as well.  (6 months out)

I have a very picky new stomach and find it hard to chose foods that I can keep down, when they stay down I get such a heavy feeling in my stomach and l think...why did l eat that!  My ultra sound recently confirmed that I have a gall bladder packed with stones, ( no stones were found on my pre op ultra sound) but the surgeon doesn't want to remove it right now as he doesn't think that it's causing my food intolerances and issues. He reminded me to eat slower and less at a time. Geesh, if l ate any less l wouldn't be eating! What keeps me going is looking at my before pictures and being able to move and do things better then l could before, but I hear you, sometimes it's so frustrating!

Have you tried getting any tips from your dietition regarding your issues?  Depending on what kind of exercise your doing, I would question that 700 calories is enough, but l am no expert. You have done incredibly well with your weight loss and must feel good about that, but it would be nice to get feeling better too!

Delicious_Delilah
on 4/16/13 2:02 pm - Ottawa, Canada

I'm sorry you're having all these issues.  I'm eight months out too. The 700 calories seems too low. At my six month appointment was told to up my calories to closer to 1000 to 1200 on days I don't work out, and closer to 1500 calories on days I do work out. So 700 seems too low unless you aren't very active.  Either way, don't get too discouraged.  It will take some and you got some good advice iincluding making use of the clinic team to help you work through this. 

Good luck!

DD

Most Active
Recent Topics