Massage?!

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/13 1:17 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 04/04/13

Do you think its ok if i go to the spa and get a swedish massage?!

My back and shoulders are really tense and would love to have a personal day of pampering...

thoughts?

MellissaAnn
on 4/27/13 1:36 pm, edited 4/27/13 1:36 pm - barrie, Canada

when did you have your surgery? my only concern would be laying on your stomach if you are newly post op other than that I don't see why not it you can lay on your belly without pain, you deserve a little pampering.

I would just let them know at the spa that you have had surgery not too long ago and I am sure they will be gentle.

patience let's be realistic here, you won't drop two jean sizes in one day, you won't lose fifty pounds in one month, you're going to binge every now and then, you will go a day or two without working out, your weight is going to fluctuate here and there, you're going to try new techniques and they're not always going to work, you're a human being, you're going to fail from time to time but nothing great is ever accomplished without a few obstacles, JUST KEEP GOING.   

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/13 1:53 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 04/04/13

Just over 3 weeks ago had surgery but i am lying on my belly now on my bed whilst i type....been on my belly for about a week now...

MellissaAnn
on 4/27/13 2:14 pm - barrie, Canada

I would go for it, just let them know about the surgery (you dont have to give them details) and if it becomes uncomfortable you can always have them stop.

patience let's be realistic here, you won't drop two jean sizes in one day, you won't lose fifty pounds in one month, you're going to binge every now and then, you will go a day or two without working out, your weight is going to fluctuate here and there, you're going to try new techniques and they're not always going to work, you're a human being, you're going to fail from time to time but nothing great is ever accomplished without a few obstacles, JUST KEEP GOING.   

Kathleen11
on 4/27/13 10:17 pm, edited 4/27/13 10:17 pm - Burlington, Canada

I was also laying on my stomach around 3-4 weeks post op.  I went for a massage about 9 weeks post op.  no issues except don't eat or drink before it.  Lol  laying on my stomach and slightly tilted down = lots of pouch gurgles and burps coming up.  Next time no issues.  

Im down around 66lbs now and having upper back pain.  I guess from the weight shifting or my posture not changing after weight loss.  Massages are definitely helping! Enjoy!

Moselle
on 4/28/13 12:46 am - Athens, Canada

I opened the post thinking you might be offering a massage. But alas you are just thinking of enjoying one yourself.  Woo is me! lol

Enjoy it - I think we all deserve a little pampering from time to time.

Muriel

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out." -Robert Collier
Join Kingston Ontario WLS Support Group - Online @ OH 

HW: 267         SW: 248       GW:155       LW: 132      CW: 143-148      

NorthernStar
on 4/28/13 3:54 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

If it helps you relax and feel good, I would think this is a good idea. It's all about your comfort though, I'm sure if laying on your stomach got uncomfortable, the therapist could accommodate you and have you sit up in a chair instead.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Nanato2
on 4/28/13 7:15 am, edited 4/28/13 7:16 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

I had one about a month out it was so good. My massage therapist was great if she I felt it was too much on my tummy all I had to do is tell her but I was okay.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

katzmeow13
on 4/28/13 10:27 am

As a Registered Massage Therapist I say go ahead. Even if you couldn't lie on your stomach there are always ways to modify a treatment. You could lie on your side if not comfortable on you tummy. As long as there are no complications from surgery there is no reason not to go. Be sure to tell them about recent surgery and any meds... But you can just say you had abdominal surgery if you don't want to give details. enjoy!

HW:282      pre-opti W: 268       CW: 172.       SW:255.5

Surgery: RNY   Jan. 17, 2013   Dr Raiche   OTTAWA

Monica M.
on 4/28/13 10:31 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

yes, please... right there between the shoulder blades..

oh... you weren't offering?

shoot....

kk carry on then.

if you can lay on your belly for however long your massage lasts, then yes, go for it.

Most Active
Recent Topics