4 weeks post op - counting cals, fat & carbs

sabrinastrength
on 8/28/13 9:48 am - Canada
Hi All.... so I've been wondering this for awhile, but realized today that maybe I'm not doing things right. Are we supposed to be counting our calories, carbs, fat at 4 weeks post? I'm counting my protein for sure and making sure i'm having low-fat low carb/cal foods, but I'm still not sure what numbers I'm supposed to be at. For example today these were my counts:

715 calories
40g carbs (damn those bran buds)
23g fat
95g protein
8g sugar

I always seem to fall between 650 - 750 calories per day... does that sound normal?

Highest Weight Pre-Op: 346lbs;. Surgery Weight: 330lbs; Current Weight: 204lbs
Surgery: Aug 2, 2013

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/28/13 10:08 am - Windsor, Canada

Yes sounds normal.

I like how you are double your protein to carb ratio (I find that's the formula for me to lose after 7 years!).

I think the numbers look good.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

kristaeb
on 8/28/13 10:34 am

It looks great to me ...Your protein is really good..kiss..Krista

Refered Jan 15/13..Surgery June 27/13 , Dr Hagan.

Lolabug
on 8/28/13 12:16 pm - Canada
RNY on 07/23/13

You are very close to how I'm doing and I'm five weeks out. My protein is a bit higher than yours. You are doing great!

Tammy B.
on 8/28/13 9:59 pm - Canada

Im six weeks out...and had to order a calorie counter online....I worry about my protein and would like to know how yours is so high...yes im having a shake worth 30g and i try to eat lots of protein but I worry that the quantity gives me a false number....how much can 1 lean meatball be lol..otherwise your calories are equal to mine....Im mostly losing inches this week whoohoo

Lolabug
on 8/28/13 10:34 pm - Canada
RNY on 07/23/13

I have three premier protein shakes a day. Spaced throughout the day. They are mostly my snacks between meals. My surgeon gave me the go ahead in the hospital to drink as much liquid as I could tolerate so that's what I've been doing since I got home. My feeling is that the more I have the amount of protein that my body needs, the less chance I have of losing what little hair I have!

i still eat other foods but always have my shakes at this point. I will cut back when I can replace the protein a mounts with actual food.

ToNewBeginnings
on 8/28/13 10:42 pm

I went through St Joes in Hamilton. Our guidelines did not ask for us to count calories carbs or fat.

I also wondered if I was doing things right because many people on OH were doing so. I just focused on eating a minimum of 60 grams of protein from lean sources and getting in all the required liquid. I didn't eat bread products or fruit or vegetables though, and I'm not sure if that was what I was supposed to do or how healthy that was but I'm still standing and feeling great! LOL.

I started using an online nutrition tracker when I was  close to goal to help get those last pounds off. I have to say that's when I started driving myself nuts with all the calculations. So, at  4 weeks personally I wouldn't start getting into all the math.

Good Luck!

sabrinastrength
on 8/29/13 2:41 am - Canada
Thanks everyone for the replies... glad to hear you are all at similar spots. To answer the one question - right now I have 2 x 30g protein shakes per day which is where most of my protein comes from. I've been trying to choose high protein foods to eat at breakfast, lunch and dinner because I know the protein shakes aren't gonna cut it forever. Tuna is a great source with tons of protein and I've been having soy stuff too which can be high in protein. I've been able to tolerate everything I've tried so far so I'm super excited about that, but the real test will be this weekend when I start my next stage of soft foods.

Highest Weight Pre-Op: 346lbs;. Surgery Weight: 330lbs; Current Weight: 204lbs
Surgery: Aug 2, 2013

Member Services
on 8/29/13 2:48 am - Irvine, CA

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

On your surgery!

Most Active
Recent Topics