Where to buy Opti

kathycantwait
on 8/29/13 7:16 am - Canada

Hi

So I'm getting a little impatient waiting for surgery and want to get a head start using Opti now, If anyone knows of a reason why I shouldn't yet please let me know. My next problem is where other then the hospital/doctor where can you buy it? I am in the Barrie area but in the Newmarket area a lot too. Please help, Thanks

(deactivated member)
on 8/29/13 7:41 am
From my orientation last night I was told that optifast is not a meal replacement but strictly for weightloss. Doctors want you on it just immediately prior to surgery so that your liver shrinks and therefore makes it easier to work on you. Also, once you are on the optifast diet, you are closely monitored by the surgeon's team for electrolyte balances and such. From hearing this info, I personally would not start this diet until I am in the final stages before my surgery and under the care of my bariatric team. Hope that helps!
roxytrim
on 8/29/13 8:43 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

hold your horses kathycantwait.  The Opti is a very important step, and makes the most sense  to do it just before your surgery.  Are prepared in the other areas of your life?  Are you chewing each bite 25-30 times, drinking 8 glasses of water a day, cut out all caffeine and pop, stopped smoking, if applicable, eating at least 70-80 g of protien daily, tracking everything that goes into your mouth on a tracker, and starting some sort of physical programme????  All these steps will serve you very well both before and after surgery.  Really the Opti is the easy part and is like finishing school..  crying

Armyguy1976
on 8/29/13 10:32 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 09/10/13

I will second that great advice, 

Remember Opti is a medically controlled aide and therefore requires a prescription,  feel free to take this time to sample post op protein sources and maybe if your content with kick starting the weight loss process try replacing a meal or two with adequate protein shake? 

Referal Feb 2011, Orientation Dec 5 2012, Nurse Prac Jan 8th 2013, Dietitian Jan 9th 2013, Social worker Jan 10th 2013, Ultra sound Jan 20th 2013, CT scan Feb 4th 2013, Scope Feb 5th 2013 .... Surgeons apoint June 12 2013, Pre Op Class June 26 2013, PATTS Aug 20 2013, RNY surgery Sept 10th 2013

Delicious_Delilah
on 8/29/13 10:36 am - Ottawa, Canada

Opti is a prescription. You can't just buy it off the shelf. Your Centre may have an opti programme, but it's a commitment and involves education/nutrition classes.  Can't get it any other way as far as I'm aware. As others have said, there are other things you can do to prepare.

Most Active
Recent Topics