Swimming

Michele T.
on 8/29/13 10:48 pm - Canada

Morning all,

I am 3 weeks and 1 day post op today and would really like to go swimming.  I know they say aquafit should be 1 month post op but what about a light swim would that be ok?

Thanks and happy Friday :)

Referral from GP October 2012  Starting Opti July 15th  Surgery with Dr. Jackson @ TWH on August 8th, 2013

2mar
on 8/29/13 11:26 pm
RNY on 09/20/12

I would not go in a pool when ALL your incisions are not 110% healed and closed. frown (all that dirty water - cannot risk a chance for infection). Keep in mind as well that your inside stitches are still "working and dissolving". 

I would check with my surgeon first - just personal opinion. I did wait until I received the go ahead from him. 

Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

Michele T.
on 8/29/13 11:32 pm - Canada

OK thanks for the advice.  I did leave a vm with the hospital to have a nurse call me back I guess we will see what she says but maybe I should avoid it :)

Referral from GP October 2012  Starting Opti July 15th  Surgery with Dr. Jackson @ TWH on August 8th, 2013

DanaStClair
on 8/30/13 12:25 am - Canada
VSG on 08/15/13

Every surgeon is different of course... my surgeon allowed me into my private pool one week after surgery. I am only 2 weeks and 1 day post-op and I am swimming about 25 laps daily. But like I said, check with your surgeon...

Best of luck :)

Positivity, Positivity, Positivity + Protein, lots of protein ;)

Michele T.
on 8/30/13 12:34 am - Canada

Thanks Dana for letting me know :)

DeidreB
on 8/30/13 12:55 am

If your incisions look good.  Get in the pool, there aren't many days left for the outdoor pools.  There is so much chlorine in the water, I don't think you have anything to worry about.  The water won't affect your internal stitches at all - just be careful with the activity.

I was 'swimming' yesterday with the kids; playing ring around the rosy and tag - as soon as you feel any muscle discomfort in your abdomen STOP!  I'm 4 weeks out and would have gone at 3 weeks if not for lifting something I shouldn't have and hurting myself. You want to be able to play another day.

Have fun!

Most Active
Recent Topics