Home made broth question

4-Jane
on 8/31/13 3:08 pm - Canada
So I am making some home made broth for after surgery, but am wondering can I purée the chicken and vegetables or do they need to be thrown away after they are strained from the broth?
 Respectfully Jane
jellyfishattack
on 8/31/13 8:19 pm - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

I don't think you can eat pureed stuff until the puree stage.  Unless they would freeze well once pureed in cheap ice cube trays which you could then throw frozen into a Ziploc****il that stage, you'll have to throw them away. 

I would try the ice cube tray trick though, puree the chicken and some of the veggies, and freeze them.  It works very well for chili, and also decaf coffee (the cubes don't dilute your homemade iced decaf as they melt).  The frozen cubes can be defrosted - one or two at a time - in the microwave when you don't want to make something for lunch or dinner, or when you want something different, but don't want to cook, or have time to cook.

Jenn.  :)

1st appointment - Feb. 23rd, 2012. RNY Dr Cyriac Mar. 11th, 2013.

Laurie C.
on 8/31/13 11:10 pm - Collingwood, ON, Canada

Like Jenn said, freeze them in ice cube trays, I even made beef burgundy and chicken stew and pureed and froze it for the next stage and it was awesome, the flavour was terrific.  We can still have flavours just have to be careful with textures.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/13 11:11 pm - Straford, Canada

the solids can be pureed, add a touch of broth for freezing and you can add it to more broth once past the liquid stage (I think I was a tad early for each stage).   kiss

4-Jane
on 9/1/13 12:23 am - Canada
Thanks I was not comfortable tossing all that food out, as I made really nutritious broth so what is left after the liquid is gone would still be very good for you. I think I will purée it by adding some of the broth and some mild spices. I bought extra ice cube trays just for this purpose. I'm hoping to be back to work by the second or third week so want to have a jump start on ensuring that my dietary needs are planned for.
 Respectfully Jane
Most Active
Recent Topics