Annoyed

Mandalious
on 9/3/13 8:41 am - Canada
RNY on 12/03/13
Travel 1.5 hrs by TTC to get to this appointment. He is running 2 hrs late. I see him for maybe 2 mins. Don't get to ask a question. Then tells me to go to a sleep study in MARKHAM.
Hello, I told you I don't drive. How do you expect me to get to Markham for this sleep apnea test? I have NO signs of it anyways so why are you send me to it?
I don't even have the ability to ask him this question in his office I have to ask me in a crowd waiting room and he doesn't answer. 3 hrs of travel. 2 mins, no questions asked, no answers other then given a generic answer by receptionist. We only deal w this clinic in Markham. These doc offices have their head up their damn heads half the time.
Told me to go off birth control immediately. Then told me not to get pregnant in the next two years, considering I have no sweet clue when I'm having my operation why do I have to get of birth control this minute. I hear ppl say he is so kind and sweet. Well I guess he is when he isn't running 2 hrs behind

Referral May 17 '13 / Orientation June 17 '13 / Meeting w Dr Hagen June 26 '13 / RN,RD,SW July 31 '13 / Dr.Glazer Sept 3 '13/ Sleep Study Sept 5 '13 /2nd app w Dr Hagen Sept 16 '13 / F/U w  Dr Glazer  Sept 23 '13 / PRATTS Nov 14 '13/ Surgery Dec 3rd '13

Mandalious
on 9/3/13 8:43 am - Canada
RNY on 12/03/13
I feel completely like a number on a file. Not impressed

Referral May 17 '13 / Orientation June 17 '13 / Meeting w Dr Hagen June 26 '13 / RN,RD,SW July 31 '13 / Dr.Glazer Sept 3 '13/ Sleep Study Sept 5 '13 /2nd app w Dr Hagen Sept 16 '13 / F/U w  Dr Glazer  Sept 23 '13 / PRATTS Nov 14 '13/ Surgery Dec 3rd '13

Onward and
Downward

on 9/3/13 9:34 am, edited 9/3/13 9:34 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

I have no idea why you wouldn't be able to get a sleep study done anywhere that does sleep studies.  They shouldn't be allowed to tell you they "only deal with" one clinic.  Sleep studies are covered by OHIP, so I wouldn't think anyone could only accept sleep studies from one clinic.

I go to a sleep doctor at Yonge and Davisville (Dr. Hawke), had my apnea test done before I was even on the waiting list for surgery because I had the symptoms of sleep apnea, and the hospital accepted my sleep test results from there, as of course they had to since a sleep study anywhere is just fine for their purposes.

You can google my sleep doctor's number and give his clinic a call and see if they'll let you refer yourself.  (Or, get your family doctor to refer you - my family doctor referred me.)

Also: file a complaint with the hospital. It's unacceptable for your doctor to refuse to answer your questions or rush you through your appointment without answering any questions.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Mandalious
on 9/3/13 9:38 am - Canada
RNY on 12/03/13

Think today was a combo of everyone involved having a bad day.

I will figure out getting to Markham for this damn test. 

Completely resent the test in the first place.. URGH

jellyfishattack
on 9/3/13 6:31 pm - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

Hi again,

I'm sorry you have to go to Markham for your sleep study.  A word of advice though - York Region transit is peculiar. 

On Yonge Street, e.g., they define every stop which has an automated ticket machine as a "major intersection", even if you've never heard of the street and would never guess that that would be considered a "major intersection".  The same stop on both sides of the street don't have machines usually either, so it might be a major stop going one way, but not the other.  Major stops are pretty close together on Yonge Street anyway.  Some machines take debit or cash, others also take credit cards.  This info probably isn't a lot of help if you're going to Markham though...

Then, they sometimes use passes that are good for an indefinite number of stops for 2 hours, instead of tokens, like the TTC.  Not that that helps you any, but it can be handy if you have a few stops to go to and can get through your chores and get home just before your ticket expires.  -  http://yrt.ca/en/ridingwithus/howtosfaqs.asp#faresgeneral3  But, you can apparently buy regular type tickets as well, which I didn't know..  I  find the entire system confusing, I guess because of the number of independent contractors providing bus service in the York region, so don't take me as any kind of expert in this matter- I usually drive up there (99% of the time), I really just know enough to warn you that things may be peculiar, compared to the TTC.

The farther North you go, the more it costs, too.  I think the least costly ticket is $3.75. 

Try to find out where you can get off the bus here - http://tripplanner.yrt.ca/hiwire?.a=iLocationLookup  I hope this helps because I'm only vaguely familiar with York Region's Yonge Street lines. TTC ticket booth attendants at the Finch subway station are usually not familiar with the York Region transit system either.

1.5 hours to get to the HRRH isn't that bad, it can take me well over 2 hours to get from my Mom's in Toronto to just a downtown subway stop on the TTC, even when I walk out to a busy street, instead of waiting for the bus that comes periodically at the end of our street, which would be so much more convenient.  In general, the TTC & York Region Transit both = :(

At least you won't be going to your sleep study in rush hour - that's a blessing!

Jenn.  :)

1st appointment - Feb. 23rd, 2012. RNY Dr Cyriac Mar. 11th, 2013.

(deactivated member)
on 9/3/13 9:49 am

They probably use that sleep clinic because they take their patients in quickly and get the results back quickly.  My sleep clinic you wait forever and then you wait another 3 months for the results.  My best guess is that they don't want to delay you any further and they know this specific clinic.  It's not right that they don't at least tell you why nor should you be treated that way.  I would guess your starting weight alone is enough to warrant a sleep study since most obese people have symptoms of OSA let alone SMO patients.  It's another hoop to jump through to get the final okay.

EternalEx
on 9/3/13 11:00 am - Canada
Not totally sure which doctor you are talking about, but I'm guessing it's Dr. Glazer. He was late on my appt too, but I didn't feel rushed, I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

Like Lynn said the sleep clinic could be specific due to wait times. My bf had a sleep study done (not WLS related) and waited 6 months for the results! I would ask for specifics of why they want this clinic.

In regards to BC, I had to come off it 30 days prior to surgery, but it depends on other factors. The pill can increase risks for blood clots and other complications, so please take that advice. The 2year pregnancy "ban" is standard.
hibbyangel
on 9/3/13 11:10 am - Canada
RNY on 07/17/13

That sucks a lot. He was way behind when I met with him..I drive a little over 2 hours for 5 mins of his sweet time. I got to sit half naked in a closet for quite some time to have my ECG done..that was fun and then they wonder why my blood pressure was outrageous. He wasn't having a bad day obviously when I went because he didn't order any additional testing but he was training some noob and he was speaking to her the whole time...while he sucked the life out of my arm again and again trying to get a good blood pressure reading (yeah that's gonna happen)..no questions for me either..in fact he was fairly short in the hospital as well...I could go on and on

any ways you are almost there..only a few more visits before you will know when you have your surgery!  Onward you go! 
~Brittany

NewMe2.0
on 9/3/13 11:31 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Hi....I hear you on frustration....having issues myself with the Guelph Clinic.  But in regards to your sleep study...I never had symptoms, and only met 2-6 of the criteria for having it done....I thought I would be proactive and get it done just in case.  Turns out I have severe sleep apnea..stopped breathing 67 times a minute...(277 times over the 4.5hr sleep test where I didnt even think I fell asleep)...Just after my study I ended up having day surgery, and boy did my oxygen levels drop.  I had to have 2 anesthesiologist consults as one refused to put me under..wanted to do an epidural.  Luckily for me, the second consult went better and came through with flying colours..and that was just for a minor day surgery.

Sorry to hear you have to travel and don't drive...but better safe than sorry.

Good Luck with everything.

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)

gonna_B_thinner
on 9/3/13 11:40 am

I just had my sleep study done last night....my family doctor ordered it and it was  much close than going all the way to Guelph which is about 2 1/2 hours from here.  I only had to travel about 40 min for mine.  I would call your family Doctor and ask if they can refer you to a closer location.  I booked mine about a month ago and they said it will take up to 10 weeks for the results.  Good luck finding something closer for you. 

Most Active
Recent Topics