Less than a week after surgery and I have a question about the incisions

csmith74
on 9/2/13 4:34 am

Hello,

I seem to be progressing well and haven't had too many problems yet. I am still on clear fluids until later this week. My question is I over did some walking this weekend (went a little too far and my stomach had pulling sensations) but I went and relaxed after and did not go walking for that long again...I did swell a bit in my stomach area which I knew was from over doing it. A couple of my incision areas started to leak a bit but have stopped....is this something I should worry about as I didn't have it until then. I don't have pain or any redness around them but i don't want to not do something if its something I should worry about (if that makes sense lol). Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Connie

daisies109
on 9/2/13 5:27 am

Hi Connie, I am no means an expert, but I do have experience as a medical/surgical nurse. If the fluid that is draining is green/yellow, creamy or has a smell to it, it can be a sign of infection. If the fluid is clear, pink, pinky/red its usually ok and you are probably right that you may have overdone it a bit. I'm a firm believer that you know your body the best, and if you have any lingering concerns, please don't hesitate to notify your health care professionals. As a nurse, I have told many a patient that I would rather you call with a simple question then to return to me in a crisis because you were to nervous to reach out! Best of luck!!

Amy

Daisies

csmith74
on 9/2/13 8:41 am

Thank you Amy...you have put my mind at rest as its clear and pink/red with no smell

JJ_
on 9/2/13 8:37 pm

It is called serous fluid....yes google and read about it.  Perfectly normal.  It may leak a whole lot on some days.  Be prepared to change your shirt or pjs.

Judy

Most Active
Recent Topics