OSA people, I just don't know

Darthmummy
on 9/16/13 2:39 am

Those of you who use CPAP, I have a question for you.  I've been doing great on my machine for well over year now.  But over the past couple of weeks, I've been getting up with the driest mouth ever!  I know I'm a mouth breather and I use a chin strap with my nasal pillows.  Any ideas?  Could it be, just maybe, that my setting is too high now?  I've only lost about 40 lbs to date and I can't see that being the difference.

(deactivated member)
on 9/16/13 2:44 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

My sleep doc used to adjust my pressure down with every 50 lbs lost so it could very well be that it's too high now.  I would call your sleep doc or your cpap provider and ask them for direction.

Darthmummy
on 9/16/13 2:47 am

Well, thanks for that.  I was thinking every 100 or so pounds.  Glad I asked.

Hennagirliegirl
on 9/16/13 3:42 am - Canada

Perhaps your chin strap needs to be tightened...40 pounds is enough to change your face shape

Darthmummy
on 9/16/13 4:19 am

I did tighten it on the weekend to no avail.  It was the first thing that came to mind because I also need my glasses refitted.  They keep falling down now...

Zizzler
on 9/16/13 7:32 am

I have been using a cpap machine for over a decade now so I may be able to help.  I was told by my sleep doctor that even a 20lb weight loss or gain can effect the pressure needed, so maybe you need another sleep test? Also, make sure you have your water filled and humidifier set high enough to provide the amount of moisture needed.  I have a face mask rather than nasal pillows but I think the machine is the same.  It took me 3 months to get an apt for a sleep test last time so you may want to book one sooner rather than later.  Good luck!

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

Darthmummy
on 9/16/13 8:18 am
I'll call the Bariatric clinic here. They have a sleep doctor on the team.
(deactivated member)
on 9/16/13 8:36 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I wouldn't rush into another sleep study yet as you can only have one every 2 years.  My sleep doc had my CPAP provider send me an oximetry machine and I'd wear it at home for one night then they'd check the data and he'd have me adjust my pressure down as needed.  We did this with every 50 lbs lost and then had a sleep study when I was done losing to see if I still needed the machine or not.

KarenHope
on 9/16/13 9:00 am
RNY on 04/15/13

I called my sleep clinic after my first 30 pounds lost and they lowered my pressure from 11 to 9. I have lost nearly 80 pounds and my pressure is down to 7. Your respiratory therapist can loan you an autoset machine that adjust to the pressure needed as you sleep. I borrowed one for 5 days and it showed that my average pressure was 7. 

Definitely call your sleep clinic.

Referral Oct '11 Orientation Ottawa Dec 9 '11 NP June 25 '12 Sleep Clinic July 27 '12 

Tr to Kingston Aug '12  NP/SW/Nut Oct 1 '12 Pre-Op class - Dec 12 '12 Surgeon  Mar 4 '13    Surgery Apr 15 '13     

HW 304 CW 175 GOAL 150  

Most Active
Recent Topics