dr. cyriac

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/13 1:40 pm
Anyone had doctor Cyriac do their surgery care to share their experience? I am booked to have my surgery on october 16 and since I have not met him yet (meet dr Aarts). Just wanted to get feel for what I should expect.
jellyfishattack
on 9/19/13 9:11 pm - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

Hi,

I met Dr. Aarts, but had Dr. Cyriac do my RNY.  He's a really nice, likeable man and sent me home with a prescription for stool softener and 30 Percocet - and the instructions were to take one or two at once.  I didn't need to finish either Rx, especially the Percocet.  Dr. Cyriac seemed like an excellent surgeon, and I have had absolutely no complications in over 6 months since the RNY.

I only met him about 15 minutes before they came to lead me into the OR, but he did offer to answer any questions I had then (but by then, I didn't have any, as I'd asked Dr. Aarts them all).

Dr. Aarts said that he was as experienced at doing the surgery as she is, and when I asked her how many people's RNY laparascopies had to be converted to open surgery, she said, "none, never", speaking for both of them.

He did come to see me in the TEGH later on in the morning after surgery, but I was so out of it on morphine that I remember little about it, except that I told him that the crushed regular multivitamin pill (not a chewable) nearly made me vomit & they had to hang gravol.  He told me that I didn't have to take any more of those in the hospital, but to start taking my palatable Bariatric Advantage chewables when I got home.

His secretary, Lorraine, was really very nice and kindly offered me a cancelation for my surgery, moving it to March 11th, instead of mid-June, so I was able to swim all Summer.

I did write up my TEGH experience when I was home for a few days, you might want to read about it here: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ON/4612953/My-Surgery-Went -Really-Well/page,3/#38262278

One last thing, I don't think that the TEGH has anything but semi-private rooms for bariatric RNY patients, so don't let the ignorance of the PATTs nurse or lady at admitting fool you into signing a form requesting a semi-private (or private) room like I did.  Although I ended up alone in a semi-private room and that's all they had, I still had to pay all that money (was it $365/night ?) for a semi-private room because I'd requested one... :(

Good luck, I think you're in good hands!

Jenn.  :)

1st appointment - Feb. 23rd, 2012. RNY Dr Cyriac Mar. 11th, 2013.

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/13 6:41 am
Thanks
Julia P.
on 9/20/13 8:08 am - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12

I had Dr. Cyriac, on October 16th of last year.  He was great!  I had no complications and found his beside manner to be very good.

Good luck to you!

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

Curious.George
on 9/21/13 11:41 am - Canada

I had Dr, Cyriac on July 17th. He was wonderful. Really nice man. I had no complications and all my incisions healed very quickly. He's the best!

Referral Date: May 29, 2012;  TWH     Orientation: June 19,2012;     Nurse Practitioner Group Session and Social Worker Initial Assessment: September 25, 2012;     Nurse Practitioner One-on-One and Psych. Assessment: January 18, 2013;     Met with surgeon: March 8, 2013;     Pre-Op scheduled: June 20,2013;   Surgery scheduled: July 17, 2013!    Surgery Completed!

(deactivated member)
on 9/21/13 12:41 pm
Thanks to all for the replies.
Most Active
Recent Topics