Failing :(

Angie L.
on 9/17/13 9:57 am - Canada

Hi everyone,

It has been 4 years since I had my RNY. I started out at 340 lbs and at my lowest I was 169 lbs. I have gain 18 pounds in the last year and half and feel like a total failure. I am now 187 lbs. I need to get back on track and loose this weight again. My original goal was 150lbs and I still want to get to that goal. Is it possible. How do I get back on track. Any advice would be appreciated. Is anybody else in the same situation I am in that would be willing to share there struggles this far out of surgery.

Thank you

Angie

Mandalious
on 9/17/13 10:25 am - Canada
RNY on 12/03/13
You aren't failing. You are just having a hiccup.

Go back to basics. Do the pouch test. Reach out to your center for help.
Maybe see the social worker?

Join a new activity?

Have faith in yourself.

Referral May 17 '13 / Orientation June 17 '13 / Meeting w Dr Hagen June 26 '13 / RN,RD,SW July 31 '13 / Dr.Glazer Sept 3 '13/ Sleep Study Sept 5 '13 /2nd app w Dr Hagen Sept 16 '13 / F/U w  Dr Glazer  Sept 23 '13 / PRATTS Nov 14 '13/ Surgery Dec 3rd '13

GirlSassy
on 9/17/13 10:34 am - Kingston, Canada

How is going from 340 to 187 a failure? 

First of all don't be so hard on yourself! Make an appointment with your centre's dietician, and start writing down what is going in your mouth, every BLT (bite, lick AND taste)!!!

Orientation - April 25, 2012, Nurse - May 16, 2012, Social Worker - May 25, Dietician - May 25, 2012, Abdominal Ultrasound - June 29, 2012, Cardiologist - August 1, 2012 Pre-Surgical Education Class September 19, 2012, Meet with Surgeon September 27, 2012, PATTS November 9, 2012, Surgery Date November 16, 2012 (Dr. Mamazza)

hynesj85
on 9/17/13 11:48 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 10/02/13

YOU HAVE NOT FAILED!!!!!!!!!

You are a beautiful, strong woman....you went 4 years threw this process, you are a veteran & you rocked it. So what, you had a set back...everyone does. Get up, dust yourself off and try again 

Referral Sent June 03 2013////Orientation @ TWH July 08 2013////Nurse Practitioner July 10 2013////Sleep Study July 20 2013////Social Worker July 23 2013////Nutrition Class August 20 2013////Dietitian August 13/21 2013////Psychologist August 13 2013////Sleep Study Results August 21 2013////Surgeon Appointment Sept 06 2013////SURGERY @TEGH October 2 2013    

Diminishing Dawn
on 9/17/13 11:49 am - Windsor, Canada

See mysignature for my Facebook group.  :-)

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

roxytrim
on 9/17/13 9:03 pm - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Not being anywhere any vet on this matter, in fact I'm a WLS baby but I think everyone spends too much time beating themselves up for not being thin after working with the tool for a number of years.  From what I have read, and what my surgeon explained is that studies show WLS will deal with 60% -  maybe 80% of excessive weight (EWL).  We have really abused our bodies to get morbidly obese for a number of years, why do we all think that we know better than all the long term stats?  Maybe best long term efforts are to manage our obesity at a point that we can maintain on a daily basis without going into a total tail spin which will only get us back to where we started?  WLS is only a tool, not a miracle, that is what the science tells us.  When I first met with the surgeon he was very clear to explain that no... I won't be in the middle of my BMI, in fact I will most likely be in the overweight zone in the long term. 

Based on the formula, your excessive weight was about 190lbs, so 80% of that is 150lbs, which means that  340-150 = 188lbs, which is right where you are.  I hope when I am 4 years out I can say I am maintaining 80% of my EWL and living a physically active and nutritionally balanced life, not obsessing over my body and allowing it to overpower me to send me back to MO (morbidly obese) land. 

Catw
on 9/17/13 11:02 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Hi Angie,

You are not a failure, believing that is the first step.  Next, look back at what you were doing 2 years ago, and look at what you are doing now, what has changed?

To get back on track, go back to basics.  Start measuring and tracking.  I'm not saying to limit what you eat, at least not yet, but to be honest with yourself as to how much and what you are eating.  Either write it in a journal, or use an online tracker, whichever is better for you. Make sure you also include a few nutrition tidbits, like calories, fat, carbs, protein.  Make sure you are getting the right proportions.  When you are eating, go back to your order, protein, veggies then carbs.  Once you have a handle on what you are eating, see if you should be cutting some things back.

Also, if you've stopped, get back to exercising.  Or join a sport/exercise group.  If it's hard, get a buddy.

You can lose it, just have to take it in steps.

Cathy

PepperBB
on 9/17/13 11:04 pm - Canada

You are not a failure!!!

I think the first step you did was this, I find this site super supportive and that is what anyone who is trying to lose weight, no matter how much, needs.

Good luck!!

Katie H.

Referral January 2013 - Orientation at TWH March 4  -  Social Worker May 27 - Nurse Practitioner July 11 - Nutrition Class August 26 - Dietitian September 4 - Psychologist September 4, Meeting with Surgeon September 13 - Surgery October 28

Angie L.
on 9/18/13 7:59 am - Canada

Well today, I took out my small french vanilla from Timmies and cut my snacks by half and wrote down everything I ate. I think this is a good start. Now if I can get through the evening without munching, this is the time where i seem to eat more.

Most Active
Recent Topics