Bone Mineral density test

CCs_mum
on 9/19/13 3:53 am

Has anyone had a Bone Mineral density test ?  How long after surgery did you have one scheduled?

Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) regulations stipulate that a routine (or low risk) BMD examinations must be a minimum of 3 years plus a day from a previous baseline (first) BMD, or 5 years plus a day from any second or subsequent BMD. A high risk BMD exam must be a minimum of one year plus a day from the previous BMD.

Have learned that I can't measure my journey only by what I've lost.  I've gained health and extra time on this earth ... that is most important

Member Services
on 9/19/13 4:12 am - Irvine, CA

It's a good idea to have one before surgery as a base line to monitor your bone density after surgery. See if you can get one before surgery  

CCs_mum
on 9/19/13 4:14 am

Was probably a good idea but I had surgery 8 months ago.  I was looking to see how far out post-op people were getting it done since the follow-ups are many years apart.

Have learned that I can't measure my journey only by what I've lost.  I've gained health and extra time on this earth ... that is most important

Member Services
on 9/19/13 4:15 am - Irvine, CA

OH sorry did not notice that. Get one as soon as you can  

KristieA
on 9/19/13 5:47 am - Orillia, Canada
HRRH suggested I have one done around pre-op or just post-op time, but I kept forgetting to ask my family physician for the requestion. I am now 2.5yrs out and just got it done. Probably should have done it sooner than now. I have not been diligent in taking my calcium as it is very constipating for me and I can't drink milk. Since the test (and the fact that I have been having charlie horses) I have been much better at keeping up with my calcium supplements.

Definitely something to do so they have a baseline.

Kristie

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

Most Active
Recent Topics