Anyone denied surgery due to mobility issues?

NewMe2.0
on 9/19/13 6:55 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Hey...So I am going through Guelph and have cleared every hurdle so far.  Had the internist today (final obstacle) who tells me that I am fine medically for the surgery, but he is recommending that the surgeons think twice about approving me as I am limited in my mobility/ability to exercise....and may not be able to successfully keep the weight off.  WTF!!!?? (sorry)....both nurse appointments addressed my limitations, as did nutritionists (lower calorie intake).....

Without going into a long explanation of my health issues....I basically suffer from chronic back pain, failed back surgery, deg.disc disease, osteo arthritis...etc.  I am only 47 and use to be extremely athletic.  I am not immobile, but I walk with a limp, and not able to walk very far without stopping.(due to pain)..I usually try and get a bit of a walk in while shopping- use the cart for support and walk the store.  I was doing some light swimming last year, but had a minor surgery this year that kept me out of water, hurt my knee, and well, the whole not wanting to put on a bathing suit in public issue.  I do plan on getting back into the water soon, and my centre is aware of this.  And I am sure my knees will feel better once I lose 100lbs or so!  I try to do a little every day- but apparently that was not enough for the internist.

Thoughts?

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)

NorthernStar
on 9/19/13 7:02 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12
I have not heard of anyone being denied for that reason. The internist sounds grumpy and I cannot imagine the surgeon denying you because you have mobility issues. Every movement is that much more difficult when you are obese and I agree with you that movement will likely be easier when you lose some weight.

There are many people here that have lost weight without exercise. Being active doesn't mean you have to be 'hardcore' and powerlift or run marathons either. Walking or other gentle movement is great for the body.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

NewMe2.0
on 9/19/13 8:03 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Thank you Lindsey.  Its just so disheartening when you get to the final hurdle (and Guelph makes you go through many many hurdles)...to have this happen.

I guess in the end its up to the surgeons.  But I will fight for my chance, as I have no other option.  

I mean who is to say that someone with no mobility issues will actually exercise after their surgery?

All I can do is hope,....oh and wait.

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/13 7:13 am

replied to your email ~L

Delicious_Delilah
on 9/19/13 7:54 am - Ottawa, Canada

I agree with others. Your mobility can only be improved with the weight loss. If that's not an argument for the surgery, I don't know what is!  

I would push this one to the limit!  Good luck!

DD

NewMe2.0
on 9/19/13 8:05 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Thank you...and I agree. 

Also congrats on your great weight loss...what an achievement..you are an inspiration!

zillah
on 9/19/13 8:22 am

I am also going through Guelph.  The internist is giving his recommendation, the Surgeon has the last say but you also have a say in this.  Guelph respects someone who is determined they have said this to me several times, "well I see your determined"  they will take into account what every professional has had to say about you.  Show the Dr. that your determined and that you can make this work.  Write out a plan for yourself so you can present it without being flustered or too emotional.  He will ask you questions be ready.  Start some form of exercise so you can tell him that you exercise even though you are hurting.  Go back to exercising in the pool before you see the surgeon he will be impressed with you.  Doing these things will give you confidence and the surgeon will have a better idea about whether you can handle this or not.  Good luck.

NewMe2.0
on 9/19/13 1:27 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Thank you for your great advice.  I am very determined, and prepared to fight for this.  I guess I just have to swallow my pride, put my bathing suit on and get back into the pool.  

Thank you again..

zephie
on 9/19/13 10:31 am - Moose Factory, Canada

WOW...sounded like I was reading about myself...I use a cane, arthritis bad, herniated discs in lower, have hard time standing in one place for long, walk only short jaunts...and on top of that I'm almost 65...weight loss can only improve my abiliity to move, walk and exercise.  Nobody even suggested that I'm not  good canditate for the surgery!!!...You're so young...WLS can give you a new lease on life...Oct 22 I start to take a kick at the can of life..can't wait...best of luck to you!!!

Orientation - Feb. 19 & 20/13 - NP,Nut, Psych, - Mar. 14/13 - Sleep Study - Mar. 24/13 - OTN with Dr. Sullivan - June 28/13  On my way!!! Preop Sept 25/13  -  SURGERY OCTOBER 22/13!!!!!!!!

It's not how you start this life...it's how well you finish it...& I plan to finish it with gusto!!!!

NewMe2.0
on 9/19/13 1:36 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Thank you for your reply.  I was taken aback because neither of the nurses, nutritionists or social workers indicated that this could be an issue..and we talked about my health and my ability to exercise.

And judging from what I have read on this forum, there are people out there like me (and you) who are approved and successful.  Like I responded to a previous post...how can they tell that someone with no mobility issues will actually exercise after wls surgery?  Why condemn me before even giving me the chance?  Also, if I could exercise now, I wouldnt be in the trouble weight wise that I am.

Anyway, thank you again, and good luck on Oct. 22nd.  I will be looking out for your posts and updates. 

Most Active
Recent Topics