Back to work and can't focus

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/13 4:53 am - Burlington, Canada

Hey all. So I'm back to work after being off for 6 weeks post op.  I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the same issue as me. I can't for the life of me focus and concentrate as easily as I used to. In order to read long emails etc... I seriously have to force myself to focus and concentrate. Maybe it's just me since I've been off so long (add 4 weeks vacation pre-op) and my brain isn't used to it? But I was wondering if the surgery could have anything to do with it?

Laurie C.
on 9/20/13 5:07 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

The dietician told me that I needed more carbs to keep my brain going, maybe you're having something the same??

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

aidan
on 9/20/13 6:00 am - Canada

I felt like I was in a fog for about 3 months....then I upped my carbs and felt so much better. Carbs give you brain power but in the beginning we are kind of scared of them!

zephie
on 9/20/13 6:57 am - Moose Factory, Canada

Question...how many grams of carbs should you being eating to keep the fogging brain away??

Orientation - Feb. 19 & 20/13 - NP,Nut, Psych, - Mar. 14/13 - Sleep Study - Mar. 24/13 - OTN with Dr. Sullivan - June 28/13  On my way!!! Preop Sept 25/13  -  SURGERY OCTOBER 22/13!!!!!!!!

It's not how you start this life...it's how well you finish it...& I plan to finish it with gusto!!!!

kellybelly333
on 9/20/13 10:38 am - Toronto, Canada
I couldn't read a book for a year!! And I'm an avid reader!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

LilyBugsMommy
on 9/20/13 10:48 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

How are you getting your B12?

If you are only taking it orally, you may not be absorbing any. Generally, we need to get our B12 sublingually, by nasal spray or injections. When I had low B12 I couldn't concentrate, had foggy brain and couldn't handle stress very well at all.  I started out with a pill & switched to sublingual and now I feel a lot better :)

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

squidget
on 9/20/13 12:43 pm

Great thread!  I still feel unfocused and I had surgery 7 months ago.  What kind of carbs and how much do you eat per day? 

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences!kiss

solongtubby
on 9/21/13 12:20 am
My nut said that we need 100 carbs a day, minimum. I know some folks will think that's a lot but that's what she told us.

Nora

RNY with Dr. Huynh June 5, 2013.

sabrinastrength
on 9/21/13 2:17 am - Canada
Thanks for the great responses! To answer some questions, I take my B12 sublingually and at most I might have between 40-50g carbs daily. I couldn't imagine trying to eat 100g, as funny as that sounds, but some days I'd love to eat a bowl of pasta because it smells so good! lol...

It's such an odd thing to encounter, the brain fog, but maybe I'll try playing with my diet a bit and see what happens. I've been thinking of getting the B12 injections too so it's one less thing I have to worry about remembering to take.

Highest Weight Pre-Op: 346lbs;. Surgery Weight: 330lbs; Current Weight: 204lbs
Surgery: Aug 2, 2013

caiguise
on 9/21/13 8:38 am

Thank you for coming out and saying this.  I am 10 days out and time seems to pass strangely.  I was wondering if I was getting a bit spacy, but hearing from others that they had trouble concentrating for months is both scary and reassuring. I started keeping a closer eye on my blood sugar, but the ide of checking glucose levels one hour after eating is kind of a joke when you are sipping protein shakes for so long.  Still you've given me things to think about, examine, and chart.  That year without a book comment someone made was terrifying, however.  BEST WISHES

Most Active
Recent Topics