Water intake question

4-Jane
on 10/3/13 2:22 pm - Canada

I am working to get as much water in as I can but it goes in and out way too fast,  My Auntie always said eating bread/toast would make you need to use the outhouse less often in the night.  Yes she is older but the trip to the O H was cold and very dark in the night, and the toast helped back then I think?

I feel like I'm not drinking enough just getting between five to six cups per day and that's counting skim milk and all.  My skin feels that it does not fit as well anymore and I have a dry patch on my back, signs that I think I need more water but any tips on getting my body to keep,conserve its water better. You know that youtube video about applesauce that is stuck in my mind as to water and  I know my body needs more because I wake up and drink in the night, which I never did before.  Just wondering if this is common for it to go in and out so fast

Respectfully Jane
(deactivated member)
on 10/3/13 8:24 pm - Straford, Canada

Try a little shake of salt on hot cereals, etc.  And try mixing a small amount of flavour in your water to try and increase consumption.  The colour of your pee should be clear to light yellow, darker means you need more hydration, also do the pinch test on your skin, if it stays pinched you need more hydration.  

Perhaps Auntie was experiencing a bit of water retention from the salt in the butter she put on the toast?  Maybe she imagined it.  Just a guess. 

Catw
on 10/4/13 12:28 am - Arnprior, Canada

The carbs do help absorb some water, not sure why, it could be the salt or that it slows down the water by blocking the path.  I'll let someone else spend the money on that study.

To increase your water, I agree with trying to flavor it, ether by adding fruit/veggies or crystal light/mio.  If you're working out, maybe try some G2 or something like that.  Not all day, but some might help. 

Also, what else are you eating during the day?  The rest of your meals could have a factor as well.

Cathy

Lorieliz
on 10/4/13 2:03 am - Canada

Silly I know, but one of my favourite things now is waking up in the middle of the night to pee - please note I say middle - 1 hour before get up time sucks.

As someone who struggles a bit - I just can't seem to get in the habit of sipping - if you don't get up at lease once to pee - you haven't had enough water. That's how I can tell right away. The skin and the hair tells me later.

Referral St. Joe's, Hamilton - Surgery May 28, 013 

Most Active
Recent Topics