QUESTION about post op

hockeydad2013
on 10/3/13 11:12 pm - Canada

I am going in next Friday for Surgery. And have been told unless any complications will be leaving Sat at 4pm. Can I get some ideas what people ate the first two weeks, how they felt . Also what did you consume the first couple days , when to soft foods and what felt good what made you sick.

thanks.

on a good note for me, I had my pre surgery appt yesterday and the nurse told me I had one of the best blood pressure she has seen going into this operation and oxygen intake, also the Pharmacutical person could not believe I was on no meds only tylenol the first two days of optifast . Then the anesthesiologist came in and said it should be  straight forward with what he saw so make me feel better. 

Foy
on 10/3/13 11:40 pm, edited 10/3/13 11:41 pm - Canada
RNY on 08/30/13

Hey Hockey,

I am only 5 weeks out and I can vaguely remember the first two weeks :)

I was lucky as I really didn't need the pain meds when I got home, I was feeling ok. I was slow in my movements because of my war wounds on my stomach but I felt OK.

The first few days I was still getting gas out so a burping and farting up a storm. I remember I was really focueds on getting my first BM to make sure everything was in working order but that didn't come until 4 days after surgery.

As for eating...... well drinking really. Lots of water - trying to get pills in the first few days. Time management was huge, it was and still is a full time job.

SF pudding

Greek Yogurt

Cottage Cheese

Strained cream soup

All of these with protein powder mixed in.

Protein Shakes

That worked for me for the first 2 weeks. I can't look at cottage cheese anymore but I am sure that will change again. I can't look at protein shakes 5 weeks out but that is because I lived on opti then shakes for 6 weeks.

Look at the literature your centre gives you, try things and see what works for you. Each of us are different and when one person can try cottage cheese it makes other people sick.

Referral: July, 2012 Orientation TWH: November 12, 2012 NP/SW: March 25, 2013 Sleep Study: April 15, 2013 Nutrition Class: April 16, 2013 Dietitian: June 19, 2013 Psych: June 25, 2013  Dr OkrainecAugust 2, 2013  PATTS: August 9, 2013 Surgery Dr. Urbach: August 30, 2013

mispysmom
on 10/3/13 11:50 pm - elliot lake, Canada
wht kind.of.protien.powder?? im on my wau to sudbury to purchase post op supplies

Amanda

Leanne1
on 10/3/13 11:55 pm - Newmarket, Canada

This is what I ate too.

Don't buy alot of stuff tho!! It will go to waste! 

1 protein shake lasted me all day

a can of soup lasted a week

You will likely only be able to eat about 1/4c of cottage cheese at a time

Get the source yoguart for now, it is the perfect size (or something else in the singlw serve cup.. activia, silhouette... there is also greek yoguart in single seve cups too but make sure there is not alot of sugar in it)

Definitely keep water near your side at all times!! in hands reach so you don't forget to drink it... SIP SIP SIP... WALK WALK WALK... walking gets the gas moving.... (happy farting!!!) LOL

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Catw
on 10/4/13 12:09 am - Arnprior, Canada

Each center seems to be a bit different on their schedule.  I was on full fluids once I got home,and man, did cream of mushroom soup taste good!  Actually, you appreciate food more after the surgery, when you have to wait patiently to start the next stage.  As for what makes you sick and what you can tolerate, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's all trial and error.  And you can't go by pre-surgery tastes either.  Basically, the more dense a food is, the harder it is to eat.  Such as you can have apple sauce, but I still have a hard time with apples.  And nothing too dry. Dry food isn't good.

You'll fly through this, and land on the bench beside us.

Cathy

burg_vs
on 10/4/13 4:47 am

I'm just into the soft foods, so I still have not find memories of opti loL

I survived on protein shakes for Costco, the premier nutrition.  Took me a while to be able to manage two shakes plus vitamins and the other fluids you need.  I don't drink tea or coffee or fruit juice so basically it was water.  Once I was able to get my two shakes I. I added some cream soup, sf pudding and jello, and sf, fat free sugar free yogurt, and sf Popsicles.

good luck!

hockeydad2013
on 10/4/13 4:48 am - Canada

thanks

truckingbride
on 10/4/13 6:27 am - Harriston , Canada

what centre are you with hockeydad

reenie33
on 10/4/13 7:28 am

I had a tough time with getting much into myself. Took 4 days to get a can of campbells cream of mushroom soup all in. I had a few weider shakes for the 2 weeks (like a four pack) and a few silhouette greek yogurt.. I was ill and dehydrated, I couldnt drink much water, even though I craved it, and needed it, I pretty much stopped peeing for 3 days, I was not well at all. BUT...lets hope you do better , just try to get your fliuds in. Worry about food later, you likely wont be hungry anyway.  SIP SIP SIP... I didnt put much heed into those words, but trust me take them and SIP 

Most Active
Recent Topics