Bypass Application Question.

Amarachi
on 10/21/13 9:12 am - Canada
So today was the information session which was great, very informative. On the application it said do you have an eating disorder?
Am I crazy to think we all have some issue with food if we became obese, morbidly or otherwise? I did not get to this size from pregnancy or medications alone.

I handed it in being honest with myself but was worried because the literature I picked up said you are not a candidate if you have an active eating disorder. I sought help through surgery because I 've exhausted all other methods. I am afraid of being denied because I answered honestly.

(deactivated member)
on 10/21/13 9:22 am
Well hopefully they can give you the help you need so that you can have success with this surgery. Which hospital are you going through? I don't recall having to talk about eating disorders other than I the psych assessment and I think at my hospital, thy will work with you until they think you are ready. At least, that is the Impression I get.
Amarachi
on 10/21/13 9:57 am - Canada
I am not sure which hospital, the lady at orientation said it can be St. Josephs or HRRH, I asked how they determine which hospital and she said randomly.

The application was 20pages, that was one of the many questions and I answered as honestly as I could.

I hope they give me a chance to work with them until they feel i am ready because i know i am and am willing to put in the hard work.
(deactivated member)
on 10/21/13 10:21 am
I think so. You have to remember that these steps are here for a reason. To ensure that you get a fair shake at using your new tool to it's maximum potential. No one, especially your bariatric team wants you to fail. So I was told at orientation, that you may have to see one of the professionals more than once, but that is only because they want to work with you to get you into the right mindset. I would hope that they wouldn't just write you off without trying up help you. Good luck in your journey!
daisies109
on 10/21/13 9:29 am

Hi there, I totally understand your explanation of feeling like you might have an eating disorder because of the current weight issues you are facing. Like you, I felt that heading into this process I was confused about what was truly causing my weight issues. I thought a lot about emotional eating, an eating disorder, a type of addiction, etc. Thoughts I'm sure have crossed your mind as well. So when I was filling out my paper work after orientation I as well felt that I must have an eating disorder because I have been unable to maintain a healthy weight. When I met with the SW/NUT/RN my feeling was that they were most concerned with an actual diagnosis of an eating disorder. Don't get me wrong, they all discussed in great detail why I felt I have battled weight issues my whole life, but we talked more about coping skills, healthy body image, educating myself about what my body truly needs to be an effective healthy body. Do not be afraid of being rejected because of your honesty. I am still pre-op myself and have been approved for surgery on Nov 15th, but I truly feel that finally being honest with ourselves about why we carry extra weight is a huge positive step towards this new lifestyle. Going through this process and meeting with the health care team and being honest about my eating habits have shown to them and myself that I am finally ready to face my issues, work each day to be aware of what I'm eating and WHY I'm eating.  Does this make any sense?? All the best to you in this exciting journey

Amy

Daisies

Amarachi
on 10/21/13 10:07 am - Canada
Congratulations Amy on your surgery date and the information on your visits with the team. I am relieved to hear that they worked with you to understand your issues. I just want someone to give me a chance, i have strong willpower but need the tools. Ahhh long day, but informative.
Zizzler
on 10/21/13 9:31 am

I also worried about that same thing - I would say the majority of people have or have had eating disorders in their life.  Also worried as I have had issues with depression.  But I think it is best to be honest about your health anyways so that you are as ready as you can be when you have surgery. Best of luck to you!

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

Amarachi
on 10/21/13 10:18 am - Canada
Thank you Zizzler,
I guess i can't go wrong being honest, i know in my heart that if i had the tools then I wouldn't need surgery, what would be the purpose if I had the ability to stick to a reduced calorie diet and exercise regime.
I can barely make it up the stairs to my room, my knees hurt and swell, i am constantly short of breath and my back is breaking under the weight. Going down is no better, i go one step at a time so i don't trip. I did this to myself and if i had an off button I'd be the first to pu**** and lock it. Thank you for your response, it truly does make me feel better that i answered the way i did, otherwise i have a larger battle if i can't admit the cause of my super obesity and continue to live in denial saying all i eat is lettuce and skinless chicken breast.
Sorry for my rant,
J

Charlene Straus
on 10/22/13 2:56 am - Mississauga, Canada

My favorite question was, "Do you feel fat?"

WTF....

Most Active
Recent Topics