pre-op visit at twh today

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/13 12:59 pm

hey everyone. 

so i went down to twh for my 3 hr pre-op appt.  

it went well for the most part.  i guess.

i had a surgery once before.  it was sort of last minute.  no pre-op appt, no screening, just basic questions and come on in.  

as some of you may know (and others may not), twh gives you this lovely binder with neatly typed sheets taking you STEP BY STEP on everything that will happen to you during your surgicial experience at the hospital.  much of this was echoed during this appt..

i don't know folks -- but for me, the more i heard, the more nervous i got.  

then again, i live with anxiety - so perhaps i am just having a bad day and need to pop a lorazepam before i go to bed.

i have always been one to believe that KNOWLEDGE IS POWER and the more i know the more at ease i will become.  Today, it worked the opposite.  The more I knew, the more nervous I became.  Like ...

- being woken up at the end of surgery while still in the OR and then having to help myself off the OR table and onto the recovery table. 

- nausea is a definite occurrence upon waking up after surgery (i've been warned).

but on the plus side, each room has a locker and the nurse told me that "all bariatric patience gets single rooms" (shrug).

maybe i need sleep, maybe i should go for a massage this week, maybe i should try and kick-up the physical activity to try and burn of some of this anxiety.

on another plus side, i was able to RUN up all the stairs at Bathurst station to streetcar level on my way to the hospital.  I guess the OptiFast is working, since I don't think I have been able to do that in at least a year.

the journey continues ... .

gwynnkitty
on 10/18/13 2:13 pm - North York, Canada

Maybe I'm an eternal optimist, but aren't those things that are scaring you worth it? Look at the big picture. :) Yes, those things suck. I remember waking up after my first surgery (I had an open VBG in 2001) I was in pain, and I felt like there was a 600lb man sitting on my chest. And I'm doing it again. It was worth it. It's like childbirth - the labour SUCKS. But it's WORTH it. :)

You're going to rock this. WIthout question. And WTG on running up the stairs. :)

Referral to Surgeon: February 12, 2013 Appointment with Surgeon: April 24, 2013 Endoscopy: April 30, 2013 Referral sent to Bariatric Registry: May 2, 2013 Orientation Appointment: May 27, 2013 Dr Klein Appointment: June 6, 2013 Second Upper GI Series: June 11 Dr Glazer: August 12, 2013 RN/RD/SW: August 29. 2013 Follow-up With Dr Klein: September 23, 2013 Start Opti: October 23, 2013 Surgery Date: November 14, 2013 

4-Jane
on 10/18/13 2:16 pm - Canada

I was at TWH in September and requested a private room but had to have a semi private, try not to worry and congrats on the stairs.......

Respectfully Jane
Nanato2
on 10/18/13 8:48 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

It is normal that the closer you get to surgery date the more nervous some of us are.

I was never woken up at the end of my surgery to move from surgery bed to recovery bed or maybe I was but sure don't remember anything like that. The only thing I remember is waking up in the recovery room.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

KerryF.
on 10/18/13 9:02 pm - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

I just had surgery at TWH  4 days ago and while I realize I was pretty out of it after surgery BUT I'm pretty sure I did not get myself off the OR table and onto the recovery bed. (can you imagine how weak my knees would have been? I can only imagine this big ass lump crashing to the floor)  I didn't wake up until in the recovery room and they were tapping my face to wake up.

And I had a private room but was walking and talking with others who were in semi private rooms and saw 2 rooms with 4 beds full. I was on 9B and some are put on 9A but on both sides of the 9th floor they have mixed surgery recovery patients not just bariatric.

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/13 9:56 pm
Ya, I hear ya. As I said, the nurse seemed semi-air cadet so I was thrilled that we discussed the room situation before on this site so when she mentioned that I just sat there and stared at her.

-shrug-

I am feeling a wee bit better this
Morning. I think I am just going to relax this week as much as possible.

My flat has been cleaned and tidied - new drapes, my sons room in tip top, all my old *small clothes* sitting in my closet waiting for me. All teas and soups purchased. Liquid versions of my main med ready and all instructions clear. Extra money in my account to activate any contingency plans needed. Finally figured out how to use Netflix for those days when my energy may be running low. Prune juice in the fridge. Bag almost packed.

Thanks for the 'grounding', ladies. It means the world.
gwynnkitty
on 10/19/13 12:07 am - North York, Canada

Sounds like you're all set - awesome! :)

Referral to Surgeon: February 12, 2013 Appointment with Surgeon: April 24, 2013 Endoscopy: April 30, 2013 Referral sent to Bariatric Registry: May 2, 2013 Orientation Appointment: May 27, 2013 Dr Klein Appointment: June 6, 2013 Second Upper GI Series: June 11 Dr Glazer: August 12, 2013 RN/RD/SW: August 29. 2013 Follow-up With Dr Klein: September 23, 2013 Start Opti: October 23, 2013 Surgery Date: November 14, 2013 

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/13 10:15 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I've had over 10 surgeries and apparently we are always wakened in the OR to help move ourselves onto the recovery bed but I have never remembered doing it once.  Worrying at this stage is completely normal for many.  Nausea can happen but just make sure you tell them if you even feel the slightest bit nauseated and they'll give you something fast. You don't want to be barfing right after any surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/13 10:29 pm
Thanks, Tracy. Yes - the dr said that people don't usually remember but that is what they do (in case I am one of those that do and get freaked out). Knowing me, I'll remember.

Hey - on the more humerus side (I try and find humor in things I am nervous about - to help take the edge off): at your preop appt., did anyone at TWH get the 6'7" anesthesiologist wearing scrubs and a surgical cap? While his counterpart (an average height "gent" with a rediculosly loud voice and British accent wearing a woolen sport coat and khakis)? What a dynamic duo! I am glad I got the skyscraper as he truly was a gentle giant with a lovely manner.

DanaStClair
on 10/19/13 5:08 am - Canada
VSG on 08/15/13

Hi :)

I had my surgery at TWH, and did not move myself onto the recovery bed. I didn't wake up with nausea, but I did end up having two very small quick puking sessions (more like dry heaving that brought up a small amount of fluid and blood that was left over from the surgery) but immediately following that I felt like a million bucks and got better and better by the hour!! I was booked for a ward, but they don't put bariatric patients in wards at TWH so I was in a semi-private room both nights. The first night I was in a room with a lady who had a broken arm, and the second day and night I was in my semi-private room alone lol It was fine both nights really.

As for the anesthesiologist appointment, I had the gorgeous Dr. David (was British) but was of average height and wearing scrubs lol I had a different dr for the surgery though. Nothing to be nervous about, but if you have any questions, you know where I am :)         Dana                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Positivity, Positivity, Positivity + Protein, lots of protein ;)

Most Active
Recent Topics