More Risky. :(

Cottagenanny
on 10/19/13 2:33 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 02/03/14

I went to see surgeon yesterday afternoon to get the results of my CT scan - I had a bicycle accident when I was 8 years old, I'm now 51,  that injured my pancreas, so I have a surgery scar the goes completely across my stomach just above my waist, and they were worried about scar tissue and such being in the way for the bariatric surgery.  Well although the scan shows that they removed half my pancreas it doesn't show if there is a lot of scar tissue that might be in their way.  So at this point Dr. Urbach says that he is willing to go ahead with the procedure but I am at an increased risk that others would not be.  They could go in and have to stop after finding something that didn't show, or could puncture the bowel with the instruments, or they could go in and everything is where it should be and goes fine, it is up to me to decide if I want to continue with this process.  I have only the appointments with the psychologist and last nutrition class to go to before my chart goes to rounds.  They also said that when my chart goes to rounds the other doctors could have another opinion and say I'm not suitable for surgery.

The intern did tell me if I decide not to continue or they decide not to do the surgery there is a program - non surgical -  of medically monitored weight loss program I can apply for at another of their hospitals (Humber I think) but you can't do both at the same time.  Has anyone heard of this? 

After talking with my husband (who I have to say is more than leery about the surgery now that their could be even more risk than normal) I have decided I might as well finish the appointments and hear what they have to say - but is the risk worth it if I am putting myself in more danger of illness??

Nanato2
on 10/19/13 2:40 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

I think they are talking about the Optifast program. I know some people have done a optifast program instead of the surgery so that what they might be talking about.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Sunny123
on 10/19/13 3:33 am
RNY on 12/05/13
My daughter will be doing that. It's a medically supervised diet. You have optifast and they educate you on proper eating habits etc.

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

kayakgirl
on 10/19/13 6:46 am - Canada

You must be feeling both frustrated and frightened. I'm sure that you will make a good decision when the time comes. Good luck!

Initial referral: March 21, 2013; Orientation: April 26, 2013 (OWMC); Nurse Practitioner: July 10, 2013; Nut/Beh: July 15, 2013; Pre-op Class: September 18, 2013; Internist: September 18, 2013; Surgeon: October 1, 2013; Surgery: November 25, 2013 (Dr. Yelle)

highlandbear
on 10/19/13 11:05 am - Canada

They were concern when they did my surgery because of scar tissues and not know how bad it was. I am very grateful to my surgeon for going ahead. Yes it took her way longer than ever to be expected. I went in at 8 and it was after 1 before she finished. I knew I was going to be high risk but I went for it. For me the risk was so worth it. I would continue with the appointments and think about it in the main time what you want to do 

GirlSassy
on 10/20/13 3:08 am - Kingston, Canada

The program they are talking about is the 12 week optifast program. It will cost approximately $1200.00 and it is not covered by any insurance plan that anyone is aware of.

It involves classes, shakes and real food.

Orientation - April 25, 2012, Nurse - May 16, 2012, Social Worker - May 25, Dietician - May 25, 2012, Abdominal Ultrasound - June 29, 2012, Cardiologist - August 1, 2012 Pre-Surgical Education Class September 19, 2012, Meet with Surgeon September 27, 2012, PATTS November 9, 2012, Surgery Date November 16, 2012 (Dr. Mamazza)

Most Active
Recent Topics