Vitamins!!!

Yoyo4life
on 10/19/13 8:57 am - Brampton, Canada
RNY on 01/08/14

Dont know if there is a post on this already but I am pre-op I only have my nutrition class left and was wondering what brand vitamins you all are taking or if there is a preferred brand out there. There are so many kids and so many brands out there, how do you know which one is the one???

Thanks in advance Yoyo

Referral sent: Aug/30/2013 Orientation: September/24/2013 Nurse Appointment: September/30/2013 Social worker Appointment: October/7/2013 Psychologist Appointment:Oct/11/13 Dietician Appointment:Oct/21/13 Nutrition Class: Oct/29/2013 Surgeons Appointment: Nov/22/2013 PATTS: December/13/2013 Surgery date: January/08/2014

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/13 9:08 am
All your questions will be answered in nutrition class they tell you the strength of each vitamin you are expected to take and also some examples of good brands. Hope that helps when is your class?
(deactivated member)
on 10/19/13 9:25 am - Straford, Canada

The brand is not that important, as long as you like them.  The liquids taste different, you need to find one that's OK for you.  The tablets are different prices, sizes, etc.  You need to find your own preferences.  The blood from my Scottish ancestors requires I buy ones that go on sale, esp 2 for 1 sales often so I have ended up with Shoppers and Jameison brands for the most part, but you'll find folks who swear by bariatric advantage etc.  As long as you're taking calcium citrate, the multivitamin has the right concentration of elements and your D3 and B12 are taken at the right times, pick a brand, any brand imo.  If the NUT tells you something else, listen to them.   

Laurie C.
on 10/19/13 10:09 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

Ian: 

The scottish blood in my veins dictated that I only buy from Bariatric Advantage 'cause I won't waste anything.  I don't mind the Bariatric Advantage and if I like it, I'll take it.  Check into these carefully.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

Mary A.
on 10/24/13 11:32 pm
On October 19, 2013 at 5:09 PM Pacific Time, Laurie C. wrote:

Ian: 

The scottish blood in my veins dictated that I only buy from Bariatric Advantage 'cause I won't waste anything.  I don't mind the Bariatric Advantage and if I like it, I'll take it.  Check into these carefully.

Laurie

I agree 100% with you Laurie..my surgeon said if you are willing to do this surgery the very least you should do is buy a multi-vitamin that is formulated for bariatric patients

..don't go for OVER the COUNTER vitamins that are for pregnant women etc, over 50 etc etc..because those companies have not invested time or money to create something specifically for bariatric patients

I am almost 5 years post-op..and still take my bariatric multi-vitamins faithfully...sure they are a bit more expensive than Centrum or those other brands...BUT I AM WORTH IT!!!

(p.s. and I actually find them tasty)...which probably helps in my making sure to take them

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Yoyo4life
on 10/19/13 10:21 am - Brampton, Canada
RNY on 01/08/14

Thank you all...and mommabearh my nutrition class is Oct/29th

Referral sent: Aug/30/2013 Orientation: September/24/2013 Nurse Appointment: September/30/2013 Social worker Appointment: October/7/2013 Psychologist Appointment:Oct/11/13 Dietician Appointment:Oct/21/13 Nutrition Class: Oct/29/2013 Surgeons Appointment: Nov/22/2013 PATTS: December/13/2013 Surgery date: January/08/2014

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/13 11:09 am
Awesome! You are almost there! The class is awesome. They give you a binder that lays out all the information you need, with handouts for each vitamin you need and explaining dosages and the different formats available. Good luck
reenie33
on 10/19/13 2:20 pm

I think we all got a big package pre-op , If you look in it, somewhere there are charts that will tell you the stregnth as well as what common brands are available, and where to buy them. I found it helpful. Also trumping all else is your surgeon, he will be sure to advise you before you go home from hosp. Mine told me to follow the guide and to take 2 mls of fer-in -sol daily

G_mama_d
on 10/19/13 11:08 pm - North Bay, Canada
I found the appointment with the dietician really helped clarify this information, she recommended prenatal vits to me as they have higher iron. Costco will be my go to place to shop or walmart specials. Love Ian's comment, i too am Scottish so have to try and save a buck!!!!

RNY - Dec 18/2013

HW- 333 lbs. Approved for Surgery- 285.4 SW- 272.  GW-160-180

Leanne1
on 10/20/13 9:28 pm - Newmarket, Canada

I also am with Ian on this one...  scottish blood mixed with irish AND german, lol!

I take the:

-Vita-vim chewable multivitamin, it's a wild berry flavour. I get it from Walmart for about $11/$12

-B12 (1200mcg/tablet), I also get it at Walmart, when on sale, it was about $5/bottle

-D3 I also got it at Walmart for about $6

-Iron supplement- I just found out I have to take this; I will get it at Costco, 100 capsules for about $55

When I was early out, I took the vita-vim chewables (from Walmart), liquid calcium (from Costco, white bottle w/pink label, $10), D3, I got a B12 shot once a month from my Dr, I now take a small tablet a few times per week.

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Most Active
Recent Topics