Struggling @ 5 weeks post-op

jen1016
on 10/19/13 11:45 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 09/19/13

I am just close to  5 weeks out and struggling with my protein and liquid intake. I keep hitting stalls so I am not sure if it's because I am not getting enough protein, or eating to many carbs. It's very frustrating!!!! I CANNOT drink any kind of protein drink, I gag and spit up after my first sip - no matter what it is. I have also tried adding unflavoured protein powder to my yogurt and gag after my first bite as well. The only carbs or rather starch I am eating is things like a few crackers ( Melba toast, triscuits that are on my approved list) with cheese or humus, or a bit of mashed potatoes with dinner.  I know I am not getting in all my liquid either. Has anyone struggled at this stage and how did you get through it?!! I have lost 26 lbs in 7 weeks ( 3 weeks liquid diet and then 4 weeks post op). Maybe I am on the right track? I am a "light weight" ... any insight would be helpful!!

LilyBugsMommy
on 10/19/13 11:57 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

I couldn't stand any protein shakes or unflavored powders either. At about 4 weeks post-op I started eating the protein bars on days I couldn't get enough protein from my food.

I use the Premier bars from Costco & only eat half a bar at a time. At this point, I only have them a couple of times per week.

My other sources of protein are cheese, eggs, tuna, salmon, deli meats, chicken, beef, pork, yogurt, peanut butter, hemp seeds (can add to many food items to boost the protein content), milk, high protein cereals like Kashi Go Lean.

Hope this helps :)

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

jen1016
on 10/20/13 1:08 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 09/19/13

Yes it certainly does. I was going to get a box of the Premier bars, because I knew they had 30g of protein in them, but someone said they were high in calories.  I never thought of splitting them up though!!  I will certainly get some next time. 

I picked up some of the Special K cereal with protein and have been mixing it with my yogurt, and it seems good. 

Thank you :)!!! 

Curious.George
on 10/20/13 1:26 am - Canada

You can get these "Pure Protein" bars at Costco also.  They have 21g of protein and 180/200 calories instead of 280 in the Premier Protein Bars and you can eat the whole bar.  It is on my "approved" list from TWH. I can't find my list of other bars but just look for under 200 calories, 16 or higher grams of protein and no more than 8 sugar. Hope this helps.  By the way, you are doing great!

Referral Date: May 29, 2012;  TWH     Orientation: June 19,2012;     Nurse Practitioner Group Session and Social Worker Initial Assessment: September 25, 2012;     Nurse Practitioner One-on-One and Psych. Assessment: January 18, 2013;     Met with surgeon: March 8, 2013;     Pre-Op scheduled: June 20,2013;   Surgery scheduled: July 17, 2013!    Surgery Completed!

LilyBugsMommy
on 10/20/13 1:39 am, edited 10/20/13 1:53 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

No problem :)

I know at 4 or 5 weeks out, calories were the furthest things from my mind. It was all about getting the protein, water & vitamins in. 

I can share with you, at my 3 month post-op appointment, I was told to aim for the following & I have been following these rules since then & have been consistently losing weight (so far, lol):

At least 90g of Carbs, 14-25g of Fibre and 60-90g (try to get closer to the 90 if possible) of Protein per day & 900-1200 cals per day, depending on whether or not I was able to exercise that day (900 on a non-exercise day, up to 1200 on an exercise day). 

I do exercise 5 days per week, at least. 3 of those days are weights and cardio & the rest is strictly cardio. Even with using the protein bars, I barely ever reach 1100 calories in a day, so, you probably don't really need to worry about them so much right now :)

Good luck!

I thought I would add-I only eat half a bar at a time because that is all I can eat, not because of how many calories are in it, or any other reason :)

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

jen1016
on 10/20/13 2:36 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 09/19/13
Great thanks. I don't even think I hit the 60g yet for protein !!!

I will pick up some different bars and go from there.

It's good to know those guidelines as well .

I am going to start at the gym in a week or two, so I am sure that will help things along as well.

reenie33
on 10/20/13 2:22 am

edamame and chick peas are really good toasted in the oven with spices, Do you like cottage cheese? 14g of protein.

jen1016
on 10/20/13 2:46 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 09/19/13
Where would I get the chick peas and edamame? I have heard they are good roasted!

kayakgirl
on 10/20/13 3:41 am - Canada

Chick peas are canned in the bean aisle of the grocery store and edamame are in the frozen veggie section. 

Had you been able to drink the protein drinks before surgery? If so, I wonder what changes?

Initial referral: March 21, 2013; Orientation: April 26, 2013 (OWMC); Nurse Practitioner: July 10, 2013; Nut/Beh: July 15, 2013; Pre-op Class: September 18, 2013; Internist: September 18, 2013; Surgeon: October 1, 2013; Surgery: November 25, 2013 (Dr. Yelle)

jen1016
on 10/20/13 6:59 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 09/19/13
No, I didn't try them prior to surgery. I have heard our taste buds can change after surgery as well or even just day to day.

Most Active
Recent Topics