Airplane travel within weeks of surgery?

Katiebear291
on 10/21/13 11:45 pm - Canada
RNY on 12/10/13

Spoke with my mother-in-law last night who wants to see us around  Christmas - My surgery is Dec 10th. And my In laws live in the Bahamas. 

I haven't asked my surgeon yet- thought I might see if anyone else traveled by plane after surgery.

RNY  - December 10 2013 Dr Lindsay Toronto's Saint Joseph Hospital Toronto

debralight
on 10/22/13 12:01 am - Canada

If you do go make sure you really ask questions about your travel insurance to make sure you are covered. You aren't going to be considered medically stable for travel in the month after surgery and all complications of your surgery are likely not going to be covered. A good insurance agent might be able to find you a suitable policy but will really have to do some research to find something that will ensure you have protection should anything go wrong.

Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

Chelsea1
on 10/22/13 12:47 am - Canada
Well I was set to travel 2 weeks after surgery (booked months before) and got really sick and ended up in the hospital during that time, I didn't end up going.

Everyone said it would be okay to travel so have SUPERIOR medical insurance!

pcgreatlakes
on 10/22/13 9:14 am - Canada

Because I live in Northwestern Ontario.....I stayed in a hotel the day I was discharged and then flew out home at 6am the next morning. I had a 4 hour drive that I did on my own..I reclined the seat a bit and only took one Percocet for the flight - told the flight attendant I had had surgery and she gave me a seatbelt extension for comfort and a barf bag just in case LOL...she kept coming to check on me.  I also asked to board earlier as I would be walking slower and didnt want to be rushed to sit down while others were boarding. They were very accomodating.  I stopped once for about an hour on the way home on the drive....to sleep a bit.  As I was tired...and took a percocet after settling in at home.  Friday night was my last pain med.  A bit sore still one week out on one incision, but that is to be expected.  Good Luck  - three weeks out. - you will be good for sure as long as you don't have other problems....but as for pain and comfort, I am thinking you should be off pain meds anyway and just tolerate it.  OUR BODIES HAVE A WONDROUS WAY OF HEALING. 

Referred June 2012.  Surgery Oct 15/2013 Dr. Irbach TWH VSG. Starting weight 287lbs. Started OPTI weight 260. Goal Weight 160lbs.

Monica9811
on 10/22/13 11:02 pm - Peterborough, Canada

Hi there.  I went to Mexico 3 weeks after surgery and made out just fine.  I also sell travel insurance and there is a company called Travel Underwriters and if you are under the age of 59 they only had a pre existing stability clause of 7 days so if you have no complications or issues in the 7 days prior to surgery you would be covered-unless you go against the advice of your doctor.  I hope this helps!

Katiebear291
on 10/23/13 1:46 am - Canada
RNY on 12/10/13

Thanks that is really helpful - I have never bought travel insurance for other trips, is it expensive?

RNY  - December 10 2013 Dr Lindsay Toronto's Saint Joseph Hospital Toronto

Monica9811
on 10/23/13 4:28 am - Peterborough, Canada

For a couple under the age of 59-it usually goes by the oldest person and it would be around $35 depending on how young you are.  Very reasonable and well worth it!

Most Active
Recent Topics