Is it normal to have second thoughts about the surgery?

taniagirlca
on 10/23/13 10:26 am

I am well underway with all my appointments etc. Some days I cant wait to have the surgery and then the next day I have second thoughts because it is so permanent, is this normal? Anyone else keep swaying back and forth before having the surgery?

Amarachi
on 10/23/13 11:33 am - Canada

I too have second thoughts, I think it is normal to think twice.  It is major surgery and I have discussed it with my husband and family at length the pros and cons. 

It is individual for each person and you can back out at any point up until the date of surgery. 

I am using this time between appts to eat as clean as i can, see how much i can lose on my own hoping that the motivation of a major surgery will help me stick to a proper eating plan and exercise schedule.

Deep down in my heart i know i have tried everything but this last ditch effort is to prove to myself that i truly have tried eveything.

The more weight you lose on your own before surgery will only help you.  Someone in orientation actually asked if the criteria for surgery is a BMI of 40 or 35 with 2 comorbidities and they lose weight, will they still qualify for surgery and the lady said yes, it goes by the amount listed on the application and questionaire from the referring Doctor.

Search your heart and take your time to make this decision, only you know if it is right for you.

Orientation HRRH Oct 21,13 / Surgeon Nov 1,13 / SW,RD,RN, Internist Dec 3,13 / PATTS Jan 14,14 / Surgery Jan 20,14

Crystal82
on 10/23/13 11:35 am - Canada
RNY on 01/06/14
Omg lol were u at the same info session as me on Monday in toronto lmao!
Amarachi
on 10/23/13 11:42 am - Canada

Probably, lol I was at HRRH Keele site with my husband.

Crystal82
on 10/23/13 11:43 am - Canada
RNY on 01/06/14
Lmao! Yep we were at the same one!
Crystal82
on 10/23/13 11:33 am - Canada
RNY on 01/06/14
I am dealing with the exact same issues! I just posted a lengthy post lol.
EternalEx
on 10/23/13 1:03 pm - Canada
Absolutely! Right up til they knocked me out on the table! Lol

It's a major surgery, and life after will change, so yes, it's normal to flip back and forth for many of us. It's a weird feeling, because i was fully prepared and was confident in my decision, but then would think "holy crap!". I was more afraid of the actual operation than anything - not because i think it's more risky than others, but because giving up control is difficult for me (and others).

In the end, i had to release that control to the universe. And now, 4 months later, no regrets whatsoever! I walked almost 2kms today without breaking a sweat, i don't crash every evening from exhaustion, and i eat food that makes my head and my body happy - makes it all worth while!

Hang in there - talk to people, do your research and then let it all go and enjoy the ride!
BluIzGal
on 10/23/13 1:37 pm - Canada
RNY on 07/10/12

Absolutely!  I was put under sobbing debating in my head if I was doing the right thing. 

reenie33
on 10/23/13 1:55 pm

OMG! Bluzgal, I cried as well as the doctor himself wheeled me into surgery. I remember him telling me as he wheeled me into the surgical suite that everything would be alright, and that he would call my daughter as soon as we were done, which he personally did. Second thoughts are completely normal

dragongirl_76
on 10/24/13 12:19 pm
On October 23, 2013 at 8:37 PM Pacific Time, BluIzGal wrote:

Absolutely!  I was put under sobbing debating in my head if I was doing the right thing. 

Me too :-/
Im about 5 weeks out and i still have buyers remorse at moments but i gotta have faith in the end result.
Most Active
Recent Topics