Has anyone had surgery at St. Joe's in Hamilton Ontario ?

FuzzyB
on 10/24/13 12:35 am - Sudbury, Canada

I have been transferred from St Joe's in Toronto to St Joe's in Hamilton and I would like to hear from people who are post op .Specifically how they liked the facility ,how the staff is , any concerns ??, info about surgeons and if anyone has any suggestions where my wife and I can stay while in Hamilton .Not very familiar with the area and I would like to be comfortable .Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated .

Member Services
on 10/24/13 4:46 am - Irvine, CA

Hello FuzzyB,

Congratulations on taking control of your life and weight loss journey.  Be sure and check out OH's home page, with great articles, blog entries, before and after photos and much more.   ​​ Here are some Weight Loss Surgery Resources.

About Obesity

About Weight Loss Surgery

Medical Necessity

Post-op Planner

BMI Calculator

Health Tracker

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/choice-of-bariatric-proc edure-a-philosophy-obtained-in-20-years-of-bariatric-practic e-2/http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/choice-of-bariatric-proc edure-a-philosophy-obtained-in-20-years-of-bariatric-practic e-2/

If you need any further assistance, please let us know at [email protected]

Regards,

Member Services

burg_vs
on 10/24/13 8:18 am

I had my surgery in Hamilton...there are a few hotels but the would be driving distance to the hospital.  You can check out the Sheraton which is downtown Hamilton and just by that hotel is the staybridge suites.  The staybridge was only built about a year ago,  I have never stayed there.  The Sheraton is your typical hotel.  I a. Sure there are others but those are the two I know about.

as for the staff, I found them very friendly and the nursing staff was excellent post surgery.  The surgeon based on my research was well qualified but really I had no contact with him other than just before in the or and for about 30 seconds in my room the next day.  

FuzzyB
on 10/24/13 9:01 am - Sudbury, Canada
Thanks Burg. Are you from Hamilton ? Did you get VSG or RNY ? Do you recall the surgeons name?
burg_vs
on 10/26/13 4:45 am

I live in Niigata and had Rey.  My surgeon was dr. Anvari

Chelsea1
on 10/24/13 9:27 am - Canada
Hey I had Dr Hong and an RNY. He is superior!!!! I only had one ****ty nurse but the rest were awesome. You are in great hands, they are all super knowledgable.

FuzzyB
on 10/24/13 10:47 am - Sudbury, Canada
That's so awesome to hear. How was your recuperation process. Any details will help put me at ease.
dragongirl_76
on 10/24/13 12:11 pm
I had Dr. Hong at St. Joes as well. You get put in a room on the 6th floor which is in an older wing of the hospital. Rooms are cramped, but only 2 per. Do NOT check semi-private room as your insurance will be charged, but only semis are available lol.
They do mixed gender rooming at this hosp.
The nurses were mostly great, i had one amazing nurse as soon as i came up from recovery.
The closest hotel is a walk away at Jackson Square Mall, as stated above. Not a short walk, but not too far either.
What else would you like to know?
Oh, i got in early too, which was a surprise. They want you there 3hrs early, but as soon as i checked in, he called down and said they were ready for me. Freaked me out to wake up in the operating room but this is normal.
sweets68
on 10/24/13 9:34 pm - Canada

I am from Hamilton and had surgery this past May with Dr. Hong, he is excellent and I was up walking within 2 hours of waking up from surgery.  The nurses that I had were fantastic and I have no complaints.  Very little pain after just took regular tylenol. The key is to get walking to get your gas moving and just keep sipping your protein and water.  You are in great hands at St. Joe's. Best of luck with your journey!!

Sherry

Gorgeous84
on 10/24/13 10:58 pm - Hamilton, Canada
RNY on 05/18/12
Hi, I had surgery May2012 with Dr Gmora for RNY.
I had no complications and the staff at the clinic and on the 6GI floor were phenomonal. Dr Gmora is genuine, takes his time with you- really outstanding and the bariatric clinic are happy to answer any question, fear that u have big or small- welcome to the Hammer!
There are risks and costs to a program; but they are far less than the long-range risks and costs of comfortable inaction. -JFK

Most Active
Recent Topics