Musings of a new post op!

(deactivated member)
on 10/24/13 8:21 am, edited 10/24/13 8:25 am

So I thought I would analyze the last two weeks since surgery!

Let's dial back to Opti, well the first shake was horrible. Like BAD. But then as I learned a working recipe I became very yummy and I looked forward to it. (Wish I had gotten the SF syrups from Starbucks though, YUM!) My only advice about opti is get a cup with a lid or a straw, and add ice ! Funny enough, i'd do anything for one of those damn shakes right about now (Center doesn't allow protein shakes on full fluids)

My surgery went very well, It was my first ever and I was terrified. My BP going in was very good (unusual for me as I have high BP) but during surgery it spiked VERY high, they don't know why (No I didn't wake up during! enlightened) I woke up after 2 hours very confused but the first thing I said was "I made it!". Even through struggling with gas, walking, sick roomates, ALOT of bruising and blood I was happy to be alive. I cannot say enough good about the nursing staff at guelph (I think Patti and Lindsey are angels truly) even though, they come in your room ALL the time (sleep was not an option, but that's okay). I went home two nights after surgery, got prescribed T3's havent taken ONE.

I guess a nice way to wrap this up would make a list of things I like so far and annoying things.

Things I don't like

- Constipation! I didnt have a proper movement in a week and boy oh boy after my twice daily stool softeners and two doses of MOM I got my wish. I had to pray for strength, I swear angels sang when it was all over with.

- Being scared of everything.. Even small sign of any ailment or something out of the normal and i'm ready to write my own obituary. Example.. "Oh dark pee, I'm dead!" It's silly but thankfully we have this forum and I can always call a nurse.

- Not being able to take certain meds, I've had a flu and my monthly in the first two weeks, I want ALL the medicine but I know I can't!

- Everything revolves around food. TV commercials, society, life. I am already finding it hard to find activities that don't revolve around food.

- Cravings are BAD, I'm okay with buying and watching my friends eat junk food. I watch them, think about hurting them and stealing their food but once the food is gone I get less stabby. I do think about pre op food 24/7 , the HUNGER isn't there but the feeling is.

Okay now the good

- The weight loss! I started this journey at 360, surgery date I was 297 and I am now 280 13 days post op. I'm at a mini stall and I'm okay with that. It's my fault, I am not eating enough and not walking enough. I want to think the monthly also has an effect.

- Loose pants! Things keep falling down, and I LOVE it!

- Starting to feel and look like myself again , I am motivated to do things like cleaning and my face is trimming down alot, I can start to see "me" again.

- The snacks!! Even though I am so sick of liquids I have found yummy stuff to eat (adding cottage cheese to cream soups, Greek yogurt with SF vanilla syrup, and SOMETIMES I will add a little bit of low sugar no fat strawberry jam.. it's to die for.) I also get to eat pudding, apple sauce and popsicles all I want like a KID!

I actually thought they did nothing to me, I don't feel pain, I drink up to 2 liters of water a day, rarely get stuffed but ONE day I pushed it and lawrddd I felt so sick, you'd have thought I ate 5 hamburgers. I just wanted to throw up I was so full.. guess they MIGHT of cut my tummy! I still have my doubts.

Anyways sorry about the long post, I just want to do this journey honestly , I am very lucky so far and I hope it continues to be uneventful so I have stupid things to rant and rave about. Anyone with questions please feel free to message me. I am only 13 days post op but I am here for you. Even if you need a friend or someone to rant to I'll listen. We're never alone !

gwynnkitty
on 10/24/13 8:55 am - North York, Canada

I cannot possibly tell you how much I needed to read this today. I'm on Day 2 of Opti, and while I don't mind the taste, or the not-eating...I feel like crap. Eye on the prize....eye on the prize.

I'm glad to hear you're doing so well. :)

Referral to Surgeon: February 12, 2013 Appointment with Surgeon: April 24, 2013 Endoscopy: April 30, 2013 Referral sent to Bariatric Registry: May 2, 2013 Orientation Appointment: May 27, 2013 Dr Klein Appointment: June 6, 2013 Second Upper GI Series: June 11 Dr Glazer: August 12, 2013 RN/RD/SW: August 29. 2013 Follow-up With Dr Klein: September 23, 2013 Start Opti: October 23, 2013 Surgery Date: November 14, 2013 

(deactivated member)
on 10/24/13 9:11 am

Awwww you made me feel so so warm inside! The first few days of Opti made me want to rip my hair out! But it does get better! And seriously, it's worth it! Congrats on being on Opti you are SO close holy!!!

taniagirlca
on 10/24/13 9:46 am

Thanks for the post, I am always interested to read what its like so soon after the surgery as I am still waiting for my date. Keep up the great work !

(deactivated member)
on 10/24/13 9:57 am

so happy to read this.  thanks for sharing the good, bad, and ugly with us.  sometimes all people do is talk giddy and la-di-dah.  all the best as you move forward. keep posting!!

smallisland
on 10/24/13 2:28 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

Oh Sabby :)  I am so thankful for your post.  The nerves have set in and this was the right medicine :)  I love your sense of humour about it all and I hope I get your nurses at Guelph when I am there.  Sounds like you are well on your way and the weight loss is fabulous. Great to hear from you :) I just finished day 9 of Opti and boy did i have a rough time the first week but it is going much more smoothly now.  Take good care of yourself, hugs Sue

Referral Feb 2012, Orientation at Guelph Nov. 29/12, RN, SW and NUT Feb. 13/12, 2nd RN, SW and NUT April 26/13, Dr. Agarwal May 7/13, SW May 22/13. HW 334lbs, CW 269 lbs. Post-op nutrition course August 1/13, Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Sept 9/13, PATTS Oct 9/13, Opti Oct 16/13, Surgery Oct 30/13.

nani911
on 10/24/13 7:35 pm - Canada
Wow! You are doing great! Your positive attitude and obvious sense of humour will bring you to your goal! Question? Gwhat does SF stand for?
Vickie    
(deactivated member)
on 10/25/13 4:02 am
Sugar Free ! And thank you so much
Most Active
Recent Topics