Why NO Peanut Butter at the Purée Stage?

KerryF.
on 10/25/13 2:36 am - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

I'm reading week 3 & 4 in the binder from TWH and it says things to avoid during Purée is 2% milk, all hard cheeses and all eggs (other than poached) and peanut butter.

Why no peanut butter?

I start the Purée stage next week and will do the shopping tomorrow for it  WooooHooo!! I think I will just eat melba toast and soda crackers for 2 days just for CRUNCH!!

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

Katie M.
on 10/25/13 2:55 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Maybe it's the fat and calories, and the thickness/stickiness of it? 

Hurray for purées!! I am dreaming of soda crackers at night at 7 days out (wish I was kidding, lol) Hope purées go down well for you :)

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Derek C.
on 10/25/13 3:03 am - North Bay , Canada

Peanut butter is way too heavy for the puree stage - you will enjoy that first poached egg - that first piece of melba toast that you have to chew 623 times before you will swallow it - straight peanut butter is just too heavy 

Surgery Date - AUGUST 22, 2011 - Ran first 5KM Race - Oct 14, 2012 (28 min)  - Currently maintaining a healthy 190 lbs and training for my first half marathon in the summer of 2013

KerryF.
on 10/25/13 3:14 am - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

Awww crap that all makes sense..... but it would be ok to have the P2P peanut butter powder at least. I bought both the P2P powder and Kraft all natural peanut butter(can't wait to make that one of my protein products)

Derek C.
on 10/25/13 3:25 am - North Bay , Canada

Kerry - take your time - ease into everything - there have been people that havent recieved the puree stage to gracefully - its one day at a time to a new life - baby steps for your new pouch - 

Surgery Date - AUGUST 22, 2011 - Ran first 5KM Race - Oct 14, 2012 (28 min)  - Currently maintaining a healthy 190 lbs and training for my first half marathon in the summer of 2013

Catw
on 10/25/13 3:33 am - Arnprior, Canada

PB is still thick at the puree stage.  And there is a lot of sugar and fat in PB which could cause tummy trouble and dumping.  Careful with eggs as well, I still have problems with them at 2+ years out.  I'm not familiar enough with P2P to advise on that.

Cathy

KerryF.
on 10/25/13 3:43 am - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

ok the word dumping scares the crap out of me.. devil  got the message loud and clear kiss

the P2P peanut butter is a compressed powder with 85% of the fat removed not sure about sugar so best to avoid that too.

I really hope Purée stage goes okay.

(deactivated member)
on 10/25/13 4:03 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

If you mean PB2 then you could use a bit on pureed.  It doesn't mix up as thick as peanut butter at all. You could easily mix a tsp in some runny oatmeal or put a bit in your shakes.  I wouldn't try to reconstitute it to eat on crackers yet but mixed in other liquids to just give it the flavour would be fine. Even when you do reconstitute it with water it is nowhere near the texture of regular peanut butter since the fast is removed and it's the fat that makes it like glue.

KerryF.
on 10/25/13 4:44 am - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

that's what I've been waiting to do is mix it in my protein shakes. I think reconstituting it might be a bit nasty

(deactivated member)
on 10/25/13 4:47 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I used it on full fluids in my shakes and my clinic was fine with it.  It's no thicker than other protein powders.  It's actually not too bad when you reconstitute with water. Gives you some satisfaction of peanut butter without all the fat and calories.  I prefer it in shakes and it's also good in oatmeal.

Most Active
Recent Topics