Curiosity Questions

KenGaus
on 10/30/13 3:03 am - Kitchener, Canada

HI all, from the Kitchener area (moving soon my not sure when)

I have been a lurker on here for a few weeks but have some questions for my Ontario compatriots, and anyone else that wants to weigh in (get it,  see what I did there . 

My referral was sent to Guelph sometime in the spring and has been forwarded to Humber, Dr. John Hagen. Has my first appointment with him on Sept 25, 2013, had my info sessions on Sept 30, 2013 and have all my appointments scheduled for Nov 28, 2013, DW, SW, NUT etc.

Question 1 - How was your experience with Dr. Hagen? My sister had Roux-en-Y in January is having great results and she swears by Dr. Hagen but wanted some other opinions.

Question 2 - I know it varies a lot but when do you guesstimate I can expect surgery to happen, I am hoping for February or March, this being a slow time for me at work, although this is not a deciding factor at all. Sooner would not hurt either. My job is sympathetic and will let me work from home for a few weeks after the surgery.

Question 3 - does anyone know if we can buy pre-made protein shakes in Ontario? What's the best protein shake you have had success with. The website for Premier says Costco sells them but I cannot fin any evidence of this.

I'm am running the gamut of emotions. fear, excitement, anticipation, terror. One minute I'm thinking, "You cant do this, it is too restrictive, and too much work", then the next minute my pride says, "oh yes you can, shut up and suck it up buttercup". One thing I am sure about is that I am ready for this, just the waiting for it is killing me sometimes. Some days I am one giant overweight ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH running around trying to look normal.

Thanks for your time and I intend to start doing blog entries as soon as I get a surgery date. I am impressed with all of your progress rates and am (off and on) looking forward to making this move myself. 

Thanks and talk soon, I hope.

HW 400, CW 295 Referral Spring 2013 - Info Session 9-30-13 - DW, SW, appts 11-28-13 PATTS 3-20-14 Surgery 4-15-14

EternalEx
on 10/30/13 3:15 am - Canada
I had surgery with Dr Hagen in June and I adored him. He's busy, so sometimes he might seem rushed, but he was very kind, patient and a good sense of humour. He saw me everyday in the hospital. I called once post op with a concern and he called me back within hours and made arrangements to see me at the clinic for a urgent exam. I couldn't be happier with him. And he's one of the most qualified surgeons on ON so you're in great hands.

Timelines vary, but Humber does seem to move quicker than others. My referral was sent in Feb, and I had surgery end of June.

I don't use premixed shakes, but there are tons. I believe Premier from Costco is a common one.

By the way, welcome and enjoy the ride!
Robyn R.
on 10/30/13 3:57 am - Bowmanville, Canada

I will be having my surgery with Dr Hagen in January.  I have been very impressed with what I have seen of him pre-operatively.  I have worked with many surgeons during my career and it takes a lot to impress me.

I attended the classes in June and am having surgery in January.  I found the biggest hold up was waiting for my appt with Dr Glazer (internal medicine who must say that you are safe for surgery).  Other than that, 7 months total.  I could be done earlier if I wanted to switch surgeons, but like i said Dr Hagen has impressed me.

Good luck in your journey and enjoy the ride!

Referral Summer 2012, Orientation June 10/13 HRRH, Dr Hagen July 3/13, Dr Glazer, RN/RD/SW September 19/13, Dr Hagen October 10/13, Surgery January 21/14

http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/370613/tickers/robynrne2b9ddd6b097c6ab0185ec57651b7f22.png?1392080601

HW 290  Opti Start Weight 280.9  Surgery Weight 264.8 CW 207

pcgreatlakes
on 10/30/13 4:10 am - Canada

The Life Brand Chocolate pre mixed protein shakes from Shoppers Drug Mart are good.  I like them blended with ice when I can.  

Referred June 2012.  Surgery Oct 15/2013 Dr. Irbach TWH VSG. Starting weight 287lbs. Started OPTI weight 260. Goal Weight 160lbs.

hibbyangel
on 10/30/13 5:01 am - Canada
RNY on 07/17/13

I had surgery at HRRH but with DR Huynh..he is awesome, but I cant weigh in on Dr. Hagan..though I have heard a lot about how good he is. I was referred in November last year..got a call in March for my orientation, surgeon, RN, NUT, SW..saw Dr Glazier in late April, saw surgeon again in May..I had Surgery in July. But it varies as you probably already know. 

Pre Made premier drinks- I get them at costco all the time. Though I have been and they were out of stock. I have also seen premade shakes at GNC but they were pricey and only came in a 4 or 6 pack something like that. I enjoy the premier ones so that's what I buy and they really are easy. 

Lots to learn but you can do this..it really is mind of matter..Good Luck! :)

Leslie W.
on 10/30/13 9:38 am - Cobourg, Canada

You can find the Premiere protein at Costco near the pharmacy. It comes in a case of 18. Look for the other protein. Sometimes it is piled up at the end of a row

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Most Active
Recent Topics