Opti in Ottawa: Decisions, Decisions

Jiliana2
on 10/30/13 9:55 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

In less than two weeks I go to meet the surgeon and get my prescription for Optifast. (YAY!!! Sooooo beyond excited!)

Question 1: Do I have to buy only one flavour of Opti or can I buy half chocolate and half vanilla in Ottawa?

Question 2: I'm not a coffee drinker (ick!) so what else could I mix with the chocolate Opti to change up the flavour a bit?

Question 3: What syrups/flavours did you mix with vanilla to make it palatable? When I buy protein shakes (Bio X), typically I tend to go for the cookies and cream, strawberry and the orange creamsicle. What flavours did you like in the vanilla?

Question 4: Through these forums, I've seen that DaVinci sugar-free syrups are possibly available at Winners. Is there anywhere else in Ottawa you found SF syrups? Or should I try to order online?

Just trying to decide whether I ought to go with all one flavour or the other and how to get some flavour variety for the three weeks I'll be taking it.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

jen1016
on 10/30/13 10:27 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 09/19/13

You can buy a mixture ... chocolate and vanilla here in Ottawa.  

I only got the chocolate ones - and I mixed SF Caramel that I picked up at StarBucks and I also used SF Banana syrup that a friend of mine gave me.  Starbucks has different flavours, but I know a lot of people ordered from LowCarb Canada for their syrups   I would mix the optifas****er, lots of ice, with syrup in a magic bullet.  

Good luck ... I am 6 weeks out today and loving my RNY!!  What surgeon are you meeting with ? 

Jiliana2
on 10/30/13 11:12 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Thanks Jen! I hoped to buy a mix of both, assuming they would permit me to do that.

Caramel sounds great; I'm not a StarBucks customer but I'll make an exception for this. I have a blender at home (both a full size and an immersion); would you recommended a magic bullet too?

I'm meeting with Dr. Yelle on November 12. *gulp* Getting nervous but I'm super excited! I'll likely be having VSG because of my arthritis but I'm eager to get this show on the road! So glad you love the RNY. I expect I will love my sleeve just as much. :)

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

LilyBugsMommy
on 10/30/13 10:41 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

If you decide to get vanilla, you can add flavour extracts (from the baking aisle) to flavour it. I used lemon, banana and orange for mine. Also, if you decide that you really prefer the chocolate taste, you can add baking cocoa to the vanilla and it tastes very good!! That was what I ended up doing in the end. I got tired of the other flavours and I didn't like the taste of the vanilla, so, I made it chocolate!

I don't like any of the SF syrups, can't stand the after taste. But, I have seen them at Liquidation World, Bed, Bath and Beyond, Home Outfitters, Starbucks, lots of places.

Good luck!

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

ladyjane71
on 10/30/13 10:47 pm - Canada
I also got 1/2 and 1/2 when I picked up my shakes in Ottawa. I must be in the minority cause I liked my shakes and didnt buy any syrups. I couldnt find the metamucil capsules they say to take, but I could find the sugar free powder orange flavoured metamucil. I added a heaping tablespoon to the vanilla shake and it tasted like a creamsicle.
Deborah
JuleseyB
on 11/6/13 9:47 am - Ottawa, Canada
OMG DO NOT GET VANILLA!!! ... Unless you like the taste of crayons!

I don't know about others but I found them repulsive, no amount of flavouring would help that!

Good luck with everything!
Mandalious
on 11/6/13 10:10 am - Canada
RNY on 12/03/13
I am day two. I bought half and half

First thing. GET A CUP WITH A LID! The smell!!

Once you put syrup in them they don't soooo much.

Crap loads of ice!! I have to smash my ice up a bit before putting into my magic bullet.

Drink lots of water.. Cause the headaches are coming!

Okay. I'm going to bed at 9 pm, orginally was going at 8:30 but got stuck reading here. I can eat in my dreams.. And everyone is safe. Hahaha.

Good luck!! It's a journey.. I keep picturing myself walking for hours and hours on vacation with my little nephew who is my world. My size robbed my of what could have been amazing trip plast year. Food isn't worth it.. Living my life to the fullest is.

Referral May 17 '13 / Orientation June 17 '13 / Meeting w Dr Hagen June 26 '13 / RN,RD,SW July 31 '13 / Dr.Glazer Sept 3 '13/ Sleep Study Sept 5 '13 /2nd app w Dr Hagen Sept 16 '13 / F/U w  Dr Glazer  Sept 23 '13 / PRATTS Nov 14 '13/ Surgery Dec 3rd '13

Missy_w8
on 11/6/13 10:49 am - Canada

I used a bit of sugar free Jello powder to flavour my Opti...and always blended them with ice.  I found that I liked all the flavours with the vanilla shakes (orange and lime were the best, though), and strawberry and raspberry tasted good with the chocolate shakes.

Referral Sent: Jan. 2012, Orientation: Oct. 2012, Post Op Diet Class: Aug. 2013, Surgeon: Sep. 2013,  SURGERY: Oct 23th 2013!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics