digestion

Can_Lil_Saint
on 11/3/13 11:37 pm - Georgetown, Canada
Hello......thanks for all the warm welcomes and I am looking forward to putting names to posts at the Brampton get together LOL.

Quick question about my pills. I have a birth control pill that is daily and my time released Effexor. With food going through us faster will these 2 become ineffective?

Thanks
EternalEx
on 11/3/13 11:51 pm - Canada
Not sure about Effexor, but I was advised to come off my BC pill a month before surgery (due to blood clot risks) and to use an alternate method post-op. It is difficult to predict how effective a hormone based birth control will be post-op. Some do ok, some end up pregnant. I was told to use a barrier method for 1-2 years after.
pcgreatlakes
on 11/4/13 12:13 am - Canada

I take Depo Provera (3 month injection) for birth control.  My Nurse Practioner said that it would still be effective even thru the extreme weight loss because it's time released into the muscle.  Not sure if that is an option and some people experience side effects but it has been wonderful for me and I don't even get a period anymore.  I have only been on it for 7 months.  I have a bit of spotting for a couple days at times, but that is supposed to completely subside after a year.  I took Depo Provera when i was breastfeeding my kids also as it was the only safe method. I went off it after my husband had a vasectomy, however being separated since March, and my impressive dating schedule - I need something reliable! LOL I started dating in April and haven't stopped and I only had my surgery on October 15th.  So you can try the Depo - as my NP said that the pills are NOT effective.

Referred June 2012.  Surgery Oct 15/2013 Dr. Irbach TWH VSG. Starting weight 287lbs. Started OPTI weight 260. Goal Weight 160lbs.

dragongirl_76
on 11/4/13 2:07 am

food has nothing to do with making those two meds ineffective.

the docs do suggest an alternate method for birth control after surgery tho.

Most Active
Recent Topics