How bad would it be to take Advil/Aspirin?

NorthernStar
on 11/5/13 4:09 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12
I know we are not supposed to take NSAID drugs but here is my predicament. I rarely need an OTC painkiller and take Tylenol as needed, Tylenol 1s with codeine if I have a bad headache.

I am in Florida right now on my dream/goal/NSV vacation and stuck in my hotel room. I have a migraine that is killing me. Tylenol is not touching it and I can't get codeine over the counter.

Can I take an NSAID just this one time or should I tough it out? I'm torn. The migraine started yesterday.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/13 4:28 am

I'm not as far out as you are but my surgeon (Dr. Sullivan) told me if I took it a few times per month it would be fine but if I started needing it a few times per month every month then I should get on a PPI.  From what he said, this one time should be okay since he said it was for me.  If you have given the Tylenol a full day to work already without success then likely it isn't going to work.

ALOA2013
on 11/5/13 4:38 am - Brampton, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

First I would make sure you are not dehydrated and then if you have drank all your water and still nothing then I would take the Advil. I met with my family doctor two weeks ago and we chatted about NSAIDS post surgery as that is my go to choice for pain relief as well.  My family MD said to me "oh a couple once in a while will be fine, I have other bariatric patients post surgery that take them and have had no problems at all, as long as it's a once in a while thing." So just my personal opinion I would take it to help just make sure its not a habit.

Good luck and hoping you are out of pain soon (I used to get migraines daily so I know your pain well!).

All the best,

Leslie

Height 5' 5" HW: 244  SW: 226  CW: 128    

KristieA
on 11/5/13 4:40 am - Orillia, Canada

I take Advil/ibuprofen once and a while and I have been fine.  Not that I am advocating going against what we 'should' do, but I am pretty sure you should be OK.  If you have a Prevacid or can get your hands on a Prilosec, that may be an idea to take with it.

Hope you feel better soon and can enjoy your vacation.

Kristie

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

TammyS74
on 11/5/13 6:13 am - Canada

I am allergic to tylenol so I am glad to hear that the odd set of advil won't hurt I was worried about what I would  do if I got a headache 

NorthernStar
on 11/5/13 7:45 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12
Thanks for the replies. I did end up taking Advil, still not feeling great but hopefully by tomorrow I will

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

4-Jane
on 11/5/13 8:03 am - Canada

Might try going to the hospital and ask for some help

Respectfully Jane
Most Active
Recent Topics