Lump in throat? Can't burp?

fetisha
on 11/3/13 2:16 am - Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Hey guys, I don't come in here too often so I apologize if this subject has been discussed before.  I am about 7 months out (RNY) and down 110 lbs.  Everything seems to be good so far but there's just one thing that's been bothering me.  Does anyone else get the "lump in throat" feeling?  This happens to me often and it doesn't matter how slowly I eat or how much I chew my food.  Sometimes it happens a long time after eating or only after drinking which gives me an indication that it's not food getting stuck.

Secondly, I'll get this full kind of feeling in my throat and need to burp A LOT to get it out.  Problem is, more often than not, I either won't burp and it feels awful and hurts or I will burp and it's so tiny and strained that it doesn't relieve the symptom.  I talked to my surgeon about this a few weeks ago and he thinks it's probably just some reflux.  I still take the Prevacid daily.  I don't drink any carbonated beverages either.

Lastly, I barely EVER get the full feeling in my pouch.  I have to purposely stop myself from eating more than I should because I never get that feeling.  I absolutely hate not getting the full feeling.

Has anyone else experienced these symptoms and found out what it means or if it's anything to really worry about?  Any advice would be amazing.  Thank you!!!

March 2012Referral, Oct 15, 2012Orientation (St. Joe's), Nov 21, 2012Transfer sent to HRRHNov 26, 2012Orientation (HRRH), Nov 28, 2012Surgeon Consultation (Dr. Hagen), Dietician, and SW, Dec 20, 2012Endoscopy (Dr. Hagen), Dec 21, 2012Registered Nurse, Dietician, and bloodworkJan 10, 2013Internist and ECGJan 17, 2013Last surgeon consultation (Dr. Hagen), March 7, 2013 - Pre-op, March 12, 2013 - Start Optifast, March 26, 2013 - RNY by Dr. Hagen

mona8
on 11/3/13 7:21 am - Kingston, Canada
Hi fetisha,
I've had that " lump in the throat " feeling since the time I started on full fluids ( I'm almost 7 months out ). I take that as my " full " feeling. As you described, I eat slowly, and measure most of the time. It can last hours, doesn't hurt but does feel like I need to burp, and no matter how hard I try to force myself to do so I can't. I did address it with the NP at my center, she didn't think it was a stricture or anything like that and just advised that it probably is how I feel full now. I have had absolutely no other complications, and I think I've come to depend on that as my food red light at this point. I also am never able to eat enough for my actual pouch to feel " full " because of the feeling I get in my throat. It never seems to happen with fluid, but that could be because I sip all day and have still not attempted to guzzle anything.

Ref- Aug 2011, Orient ( OWMC )- Nov 11, Transfer to Kingston- May 12, NP, DT,SW,H-pylori ( neg ), BW, Ab US,- Jul 12, NP return Aug 12 ( HBA1C 8.2 ), started insulin - Sept 12, Diabetic Opti Clinic-Jan 11 13 ( HBA1C 7.0 ), pre-op class- Feb 6 13, Surgeon Feb 22 2013 ( Dr. Hagen HRRH ), Dr. Glazier March 18 2013, PATTS Mar 12 2013, Opti Mar 21 2013 Surgery April 4 2013.

fetisha
on 11/3/13 8:52 am - Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Hi Mona,

I wish I had the "lump in throat" feeling as a full feeling.  For me it comes at any time.  It could be hours after eating.  My surgeon (Dr. Hagen, like you) said it might be a spasm and I think this is what he's referring to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricopharyngeal_Spasm

This sounds EXACTLY like what I have; however, I wouldn't say it comes with high stress.  It comes and goes whenever it feels like it.  It almost always happens later in the afternoon/evening or gets worse later.

Tonight when eating dinner, I had no idea when I was full and I hate it.  I don't seem to get any of the signs that other people do and it's extremely annoying.  I feel like I can eat a lot and that scares me.  I really hope I haven't stretched my pouch too much or something.  I know our pouch is supposed to naturally stretch since the surgery but I hope it didn't too much.  I just wish I had a big sign that tells me I'm getting full.

March 2012Referral, Oct 15, 2012Orientation (St. Joe's), Nov 21, 2012Transfer sent to HRRHNov 26, 2012Orientation (HRRH), Nov 28, 2012Surgeon Consultation (Dr. Hagen), Dietician, and SW, Dec 20, 2012Endoscopy (Dr. Hagen), Dec 21, 2012Registered Nurse, Dietician, and bloodworkJan 10, 2013Internist and ECGJan 17, 2013Last surgeon consultation (Dr. Hagen), March 7, 2013 - Pre-op, March 12, 2013 - Start Optifast, March 26, 2013 - RNY by Dr. Hagen

PWA93
on 11/3/13 7:23 am - Canada
RNY on 02/02/12

I had my surgery Feb. 2, 2012 with no issues until just over a year out and started getting a feeling of constriction in my throat and a lump feeling.  Does not hurt when swallowing or bother my other than it feels strange.

GI doctor did a scope and found nothing.  Nose and throat doctor checked into it and found nothing.   They both agree that it might be Globus Sensation 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globus_pharyngis

They say nothing to worry about and probably just stress related.

fetisha
on 11/3/13 8:56 am - Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

That pretty much sounds like what I have.  It does not hurt to swallow and I have no trouble swallowing food or liquid.  My surgeon thinks it's either some reflux or a throat spasm and I think he's right.  It's just not a good feeling =(

Thanks for the link!  It helped me find this link which sounds exactly like what I have:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricopharyngeal_Spasm

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/13 11:20 am

thank you so much for posting this.  i find this very useful, even so early on in my weight loss.

Most Active
Recent Topics