Rough weekend!

Katie M.
on 11/3/13 7:45 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

So apparently it's really common to pull abdominal muscles in the weeks after surgery. What felt like hours on the phone, a trip to my family doctor and lots of tears and breathing like I was in labour and we've deduced I didn't give myself a hernia, it's not anything wrong with the pouch, it's just a plain old pulled muscle! Good grief. To any new post-ops, they're not joking when they say don't lift anything heavy for a few weeks. Apparently I piled one too many books in my arms at Chapters on Saturday morning. I thought for sure I was going to pass out right in the store from the sudden pain. So it's a set back in my exercise routine, no treadmill for a bit since I have to walk hunched over and holding my stomach but fingers crossed it heals soon! I am hoping it takes less than the six weeks my doctor told me ;)

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

mispysmom
on 11/3/13 7:55 am - elliot lake, Canada
tht happened to me.after i got my tubes tied...i bent down to pick up a toy for my.dog...n tht was it! the worst pain.ever!!!! take it easy girl! and rest up!!

Amanda

Katie M.
on 11/3/13 8:05 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Thanks! I wouldn't wish this pain on anyone, sorry you had it too!! It's like being right out of surgery again :\

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

ALOA2013
on 11/3/13 8:11 am - Brampton, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Oh Katie, that is horrible!  You just never know how far we can push our bodies until they "fight back" and give you the pain/fright of your life. So sorry to hear you are in pain.

Get well soon and please take care of yourself.  Maybe you need to go back to your folks and rest some more and be taken care of, I know hard to do for an independent woman but it might be what you need right now (unless you are already there and just didn't post that part).

Take good care of yourself and good luck.

Keep us posted,

Leslie

Height 5' 5" HW: 244  SW: 226  CW: 128    

Katie M.
on 11/3/13 8:25 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Thanks so much Leslie :) I know, I have really been pushing the envelope lately because I have been feeling so much better - bending down to pick things up a lot even though it would hurt, carrying bags in from the car. Not good. So my muscles finally went, "Alright you, that's enough. REST US!" :p When your time comes remember this, even if you feel fine things are still healing!!

Luckily my Mom is only a ten minute drive from me and has vowed to come in to Georgetown every night after work to see how I'm doing. She wanted me to go back to their place for a few days but since they both work during the day I'd be on my own anyway, so easier to just stay put. I was going to start back at work tomorrow, since I work for my Dad in the home office and all I have to do is answer the phone and work on the mess my Dad has created in my absence, but my Mom put the kibosh on that. I'm really lucky I have my Mom though, she will do anything to see me succeed in this, even if it means putting off her own plans and spare time to come and help me!

Thanks for the well wishes and I hope you are still doing well on Opti - I haven't been responding to posts but I did read yours! It will be November 15th in the blink of an eye ;)

PepperBB
on 11/3/13 8:30 am - Canada

Oh my gosh!!!! I hope you have a speedy recovery!!! 

Katie H.

Referral January 2013 - Orientation at TWH March 4  -  Social Worker May 27 - Nurse Practitioner July 11 - Nutrition Class August 26 - Dietitian September 4 - Psychologist September 4, Meeting with Surgeon September 13 - Surgery October 28

Katie M.
on 11/3/13 8:33 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Thanks!! Lots of Tylenol and a few days of resting and I should be on the mend :) It sucks but at least it's not something worse!

Zizzler
on 11/3/13 8:42 am

Hope you feel better soon - a pulled muscle is not fun.  I am dealing with a pulled muscle in between my ribs and it is getting better but it takes a while.  Not sure what caused it though as I have not had surgery yet - I had a bad cough for about a week so maybe that was it?  Was told the same time to heal completely. It idid improve for me quite a lot after the first two weeks.  Its tough because the abdominals are used for most movement, as I am sure you are aware :-)  Hope you feel better soon.

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

Katie M.
on 11/3/13 9:06 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Thanks :) Sorry to hear about your pulled muscle - you're probably right about it being the cough. But glad to hear after two weeks it felt much better! Fingers crossed the same timeline for me, although I will be sure to baby that side for the full six weeks. You're right about our abs being used for most movement - just tried to cut a pill in half and couldn't because it hurt too much! Good grief! I hope your muscle continues to feel better and better and that it doesn't happen again after surgery :)

Zizzler
on 11/3/13 9:25 am

It is already a lot better after a month, although I still feel it when I lie down to sleep at night for some reason.  It must shift the muscles around or something. Would a pillow held to the area help?  Mine is only on my left side so I try to balance out that feeling of pressure by adding weight o the other side, if that makes any sense.  I usually place my hand on my right ribcage and that little pressure helps me feel more comfortable.  Hope you feel better soon...

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

Most Active
Recent Topics