New here

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/13 12:48 am

Hi everyone. My doctor told me yesterday that I am a candidate for the surgery now. Got really scared reading on all the life changes, malnourishment and osteoporosis chances :(

How is everyone dealing with it ?

SuzieQ11
on 11/5/13 2:58 am - Whitby, Canada

I'm pre-op, and yes it can be scary. But, I just keep thinking of the alternative - diabetes, hip and knee failure, cardiovascular issues, stroke, wheelchair, and ultimately - death.

The things you mentioned do not have to happen if you follow the vitamin regimen and the rules for ensuring you get enough of everything your body needs - you then have the tools and knowledge to mitigate the side effects.  Eat everything you are supposed to, take your vitamins and exercise - you will live a long and happy life.

Good luck with your decision.

Referral: May 25th, 2013 / Orientation: June 17th. / Dr. Glazer: Sept. 3./ RN/RD/SW: Sept 5./ Follow up SW October 4 / 2nd appt with Dr. Klein: Oct 30 / Surgery date: Jan 15

Catw
on 11/5/13 3:33 am - Arnprior, Canada

First, Welcome to OH!

Yes, this surgery does mean a big life change, and it can be really scary.  The process is not done within a week, you will have plenty of time to learn the benefits and risks of the surgery and what to do about both.  There are a number of lifestyle changes that you will make, but they can be introduced slowly while you are going for your appointments.

One thing that you really need to know, you are not doing this alone.  I'm not sure what support you'll have from family and friends, but your clinic staff will support you through this, and not let you take the next step if they do not feel you are ready.  There are also a number of support groups out there (some from here, but there are others), and if you keep on this forum, you'll find lots of support here.  Everyone on this forum has been where you are today, and where you will be tomorrow.  There are some just starting like you, and some that have been around for 10 years or more.

There will be some things post surgery that are musts, and that includes taking vitamins every day. Some have to take more than others.  And some have to be taken through the day.  You will always have to make choices, and those choices will determine how well you do.

You may hear from people (not in here) that you are taking the easy way out, and they are wrong.  This is still hard work, you are just given a tool to help you with your journey.  Will you fall?  Perhaps, but that doesn't mean you'll fail.  Pick yourself up and start again.

If you decide to take on this journey, it will be worth all the work that goes along with it.

Cathy

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/13 3:36 am

Dear Suzie and Cathy, thank you so much for the support. The lifetime commitment to the pills is definitely one of the major concerns, along with surgery complications. Glad to hear that it is a very thorough process

franky13
on 11/5/13 4:47 am

Welcome!! The benefits out weigh all the negatives, I am 3 months post op feeling great and more active!  It has been a journey and a life change, but I was ready for it and have a great support team! Good luck!

Referred September 2012, HHRH Orientation December 2012, Meet with surgeon January 2013, Meet with and testing with Dr Glazer May 2013, PATTS July 4, 2013 - 325lbs, Surgery HRRH August 1st, 2013 - 299lbs, second surgery late August 2nd to drain fluid, Discharged August 5th - 294lbs, reached 1/2 way to goal at 16 wks, MOM of three kids, married for 13 years :)

Nerak
on 11/5/13 5:35 am - Canada

Hey So Jaded, 

I think everyone has to weigh the pros and cons for themselves but for me, I was headed for premature osteoarthritis, diabetes, high cholesterol etc etc. Either way, I was going to have to take pills the rest of my life. I would rather take pills to maintain my health than to keep me alive - you know? I was ready though, ready to make some key lifestyle changes and it is not an easy way out at all but for me, I judged it to be worth it. 

Nerak

Surgery date is Oct. 17th, 2013 in Ottawa. I was referred to the clinic in September 2012. The person performing my surgery is Dr Amy Neville. 

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/13 9:51 am

Thank y ou, franky and Nerak. Looking back now, do you guys this you could have done this on your own ? It seems bizarre, right, all you need is smaller portions ?

Catw
on 11/5/13 10:37 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Most people here have already tried to lose weight on their own.  Tried pills, groups like Weigh****chers and Jenny Craig and stuff like that.  The surgery is only a tool that they give us.  They also help us re-train our minds and bodies and give us support to use the tool.

If the surgery does scare you that much, that's fine.  You may not be ready for it right now and that's OK too, maybe a later time will be better for you.  You need to be ready mentally to go through the process. The first couple times I heard about surgery, I wasn't ready and it scared me too.  But then one day, I decided it was time.  And I think I did better for it than if I pushed myself the first time I heard of surgery.

Some clinics do offer a weight loss program. They include a shake diet (4 Optifast Shakes/day for either 3 or 6 months - based on Ottawa's clinic) then you start re-introducing food slowly.  During this time, you also go through a lifestyle re-training so to speak.  Learning how to eat again and how to maintain a healthy lifestyle.  If you are not ready for surgery, this may be an option for you.  The program is not covered by OHIP, some of the tests and stuff are, but there is still a cost to it including paying for the Optifast that you'll need and some of the tests aren't covered.

Please understand that my messages are not to scare you off, just to help you be informed.  Which ever path you take from here, be it a program like Weigh****chers, doing it on your own, going through the clinic program or surgery, there is no easy out.  No magic pills that you can take to do this.  But in any case, you will have support if you want it.

Cathy

merly6800
on 11/5/13 10:49 am - Canada

Hi and Welcome!  I'm 4 yrs out and only wish I had done this sooner!  I  had a VSG and thankfull in so many ways!

Marilynn

Most Active
Recent Topics