finally meeting the surgeon

taniagirlca
on 1/20/14 12:13 am

I finally got a date to meet the surgeon in Ottawa on March 3 but was told it could be another 3-5 months after that to get the surgery :( Feeling frustrated at how long this process is - started with my referral in February 2013 :(

mmona
on 1/20/14 2:23 am

I know it is so long.  I saw the Surgeon in Ottawa on Jan 9th and I am guessing I won't get a date until May.  I started in March last year.  Good luck...

taniagirlca
on 1/20/14 7:01 am

did you see Dr Mamazza?

Zizzler
on 1/20/14 6:54 am

Oh I feel for you...Ottawa is probably the longest wait in Ontario.  There is only 1 hospital that does the surgery in all of eastern Ontario and they just can't keep up with the demand.  I really hope they were giving you a longer timeline just in case and that they will call you soon.  I had my 1st assessment in December and was told another year until I get surgery.  I was devastated and posted here, ranting and raving about the injustice etc. etc.  I finally calmed down and just accepted the situation, because, after all, it is out of our hands.  Having said that, their timelines have been wayyyy off several other times they gave a me time estimates. Examples:

Orientation date: Estimate: 4-6 months, Actual date: 1 month

1st assessment: Estimate: 4-6 months, Actual date: 2 months

So you can't really go by what they tell you - I think they give these longer timelines just to be on the safe side.  Still it is shocking and disheartening, I know what you mean.  Good luck and I really hope us Ottawans get our surgery sooner rather than later :0)

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

taniagirlca
on 1/20/14 7:00 am

Maybe i should have chosen Toronto but I have family in Ottawa to stay with  yes. I hope they were giving me the worst scenario :(

Zizzler
on 1/20/14 11:17 am

I thought of asking for a transfer as I have family in TO as well, but decided to stick with Ottawa so I can be close to my centre for appts and follow-up.  Plus, even though I complain about Ottawa being so slow, their program seems really excellent and my experience in that sense has been good. 

providence
on 1/20/14 8:35 am
RNY on 03/20/14

I saw the surgeon in Ottawa on Dec 3rd and have yet to hear anything back from them in terms of a surgery date. I understand the frustration. It has been 14 months since initial referral (Nov 2012). I asked in Kingston if it would be quicker to go to Toronto and they said "no it's about the same". No, it really isn't. I realize this shouldn't be about racing to surgery, but I think that there should be some time limits, ie: within 12 months of referral to surgery. We will get there....however it is "hurry up and wait"....

taniagirlca
on 1/20/14 8:39 am

oh boy, thats discouraging that you dont have a date yet - I figure it will be July or August by the time I get there. I am in Kingston too although I did near that Toronto was faster !

Most Active
Recent Topics