Need Help everything seams to be going down hill

kyym
on 3/6/14 10:40 pm - Arva, Canada

It has been a long time since I have posted and for that I am sorry but the only one who suffered was me.  I had RNY in June of 08 I started out at 300 pound**** my goal of 150 about a year later.  While my body went through changes so did our life.  Our little girl had been diagnosed with cancer and life was full of stress, then my son was born premature and had a very difficult time.  I knew the diabetes and high blood pressure was large part if not 100% Of my son being born early was because of my weight.  Our daughter sick and our son starting life struggling.  I had no choice.  I had heard stories of people gaining weight back but I couldn't understand it.  How could you eat enough to gain weight. I ate so little and felt uncofortable after only a few bites.  I went down to y goal and then started to go bk up.  What had changed was that I started driking diet soda after a year and discovered that chocolate did not cause me to dump.  No here I am I have gained almost 30lbs back and have those same feelings as I did before about my body image.  The problem is that I eat so little. for instance went to Pizza hut with the kids last night and I can only eat half of a personal pan pizza and I am stuffed.  I can't eat pasta or bread.  As little as I a eating I am gaining.  could it be the diet pop? eating chocolate is obviously not helping.  I want back on track. I need some support from people who understand.  

LilyBugsMommy
on 3/6/14 11:11 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

Hello, I am only one year out, but I read posts on here all of the time.

I think most people would say to take it back to basics...get your vitamins, water and protein in everyday. 64 oz of water and 60-90g of protein. You may want to skip any fast food and carbs for a bit, just to get back on track. Try to focus on protein and veggies/fruit. STOP drinking POP! It doesn't do anything for you, gives you no nutrition, nothing....and try to stay away from chocolate. I know it will be hard. Sweets are my nemesis...but, you can do this!

Try to get exercise in, whatever amount you can, whatever works in your hectic schedule. A few 10 minute walks throughout the day will add up for you....so, if you can't dedicate an hour to the gym, just try to squeeze in what you can, when you can.

Hang in there...this is a lifelong journey not a quick fix. You got this!

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Catw
on 3/6/14 11:23 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Hi there, sounds like you've been going through a lot.  It is definitely hard to make the choices regarding your lifestyle with so much stress to deal with.  There are a lot of things I'll suggest that you can do, wether you do any is up to you.  You've already taken the fist step by coming back and looking for friends for support.  If you haven't done so, try finding a counselor or therapist to help you deal with all the emotional stuggles you are facing.  I truely support asking for help, it's the hardest thing to do, but they can give you the emotional tools that you need to get through this.  Also, try to go to a bariatric support group/coffee night in your area.  There is a lot of benifit to them and to knowing that you are not alone.

As for eating, it's time to get back to basics and back to the rules (i.e. eating protein first, then veggies then carbs).  First, grab a notebook, and start journaling.  Write every bite you eat, every activity you do and how you are feeling.  After you do that for a few days, take a look at what you are eating and doing.  Then take a look at where you want to be.  Set up a number of small goals, such as drink 8 glasses of water a day (and reducing pop).  Then work your way through your goals.  It may take a while to do each, but it's easier than trying to do everything at once.  If you think you need help getting back on track, talk to your GP about seeing a nutritionist/dietitian who is familiar with bariatric patients need.

If you need a jumpstart to getting back on track, you can do the 5 day pouch test (see http://www.5daypouchtest.com/), if you ask on here, you might get a group to join you, it helps with accountability.  Also for accountability, join the "what are you eating/doing today" thread.  You can also get ideas for menus there.

If you need someone to talk to, about anything, PM me.  I may not have gone through the same troubles, but I do have an open ear.

Cathy

sublimechick
on 3/6/14 11:47 pm - Canada

First of all I want to say I am so sorry about your problems, and especially your children's health issues. That must be so hard I cannot even imagine! I pray you, and the children get through this alright, which you will of course!! :)

As for the diet coke, I mean of course it is not healthy. But it is delicious and if you are going to drink it, then WAAAAY better than regular Coke or Pepsi. I cannot bash you in any way because I started drinking Diet Coke since 3 weeks post-op. I have 2 cans per day at least. But I do make sure to get my other things in like calcium, vitamins, protein and I am still losing. So not to promote drinking it, but I have not gained.....yet. (8 months post op)

The chocolate should not be a problem if you have a small amount now and then. It depends how much you are eating? I just had 2 chocolate cookies 10 mins ago. And I do every couple days. Seems to be ok? 

Maybe it is something else you are doing? Carbs of some kind? I know you cant do bread or pasta but maybe the other things you are eating are high in carbs? 

I say if you deny yourself of all treats you will go crazy and cause the urge to binge. Eat/Drink them, but maybe cut it back a bit, then jus****ch the carb/calorie intake. 

Everything will be fine do not stress too much girl. You STILL DID GREAT!!! Losing all that weight is amazing!!!

Referral sent Sept 2012 -Info Session -January 7 2013.  Surgeon (Dr. Huynh-HRRH) February 5 2013. Dr. Glazer, Nurse, SW and NUT -> March 25 2013, May 1st, Surgeon, Patts-June 6. SURGERY JUNE 26 2013!! 100 lbs gone in 4 months!

Leanne1
on 3/7/14 4:12 am - Newmarket, Canada

I must say.. I read this post this morning and shook my head. I had to come back and read it again. 

I really think that you are on a bit of a slippery slope. You are only 8 months out. I think you should be optimizing your first 12-18months more wisely.

You drink 2 cans of pop everyday?? You are still in your "honeymoon" phase. 

From time to time, I will have a mouthful of diet coke, of my hubby's. I don't usually even bother anymore.

I do treat myself to "treats" but definitely in moderation or I suffer greatly. 2cookies for me, I would be in bed from the sugar. I call it "a sugar coma"

Just my opinion.. not a bashing thing. 

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

sublimechick
on 3/7/14 4:20 am - Canada

Yes I have 2 cans for sure. But I forgot to mention I cannot drink the whole can in one sitting. I have a problem with any drink, if it is not ICE cold, it goes down the sink. So about 10 minutes after I pour something, it is done. I should have told you that part lol.

That sucks about the cookies!! I would be so upset if I could not have a cookie now and then :( But they are so tiny how can something so tiny be so bad?? lol

I was under the impression you were having more diet coke and more treats. Since you said you have a sip the odd time, and cant even eat 2 cookies that is nothing. I can't understand why you would gain weight? Weird. Maybe it is a metabolism thing? Either way I am very sorry to hear and I bet you that you look amazing either way, and you will bounce back soon :)

Referral sent Sept 2012 -Info Session -January 7 2013.  Surgeon (Dr. Huynh-HRRH) February 5 2013. Dr. Glazer, Nurse, SW and NUT -> March 25 2013, May 1st, Surgeon, Patts-June 6. SURGERY JUNE 26 2013!! 100 lbs gone in 4 months!

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/7/14 1:35 am - Windsor, Canada

Hi there :-)

first of all, know that you are NORMAL. Three you go.  I said it.  You are absolutely, truly normal.  

At around 4 years out, I found 27 lbs because I too was dealing with stress eating and emotional eating.  Old habits die very hard. 

So do yourself a favour now:  breathe.   Relax.  Know that this is absolutely something that you can deal with.  

I want you to focus on 10 lbs as your goal right now.  Break it into manageable chunks.  

I personally am a fan of back to basics over the pouch test.  It's good to decarb.  I usually will do this with a day or two of protein shakes and cabbage soup and chicken/spinach.  I just take all processed crap out.  

Then I focused on the staples of my first year like eggs, cheese, tuna, chicken, yogurt.  I try to go back to eating the way I did my first year.    One step at a time.  Then I try to eat as "clean" as I can.   Try and eat REAL foods as much as possible --- you know, the foods with ONE ingredient.  Look at paleo/primal eating if you want recipes.  

Start getting together with mentors or get to a support group meeting or just start messaging a friend who is long term - support is invaluable.   

Weight loss at a long term stance is SLOW but doable.   Damn hard work.   

Dont hesitate to look into alternatives like weigh****chers, over eaters anonymous etc.  call your bariatric centre - windsor has been taking Michigan patients so talk to your centre.  

Participate in the eating thread every day on here.    I also have a long timers group if you'd like to join it - see my signature. 

Good luck and message me anytime.  Don't give up hope.  

dawn 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/7/14 11:06 am - Windsor, Canada

By the way, you need to log and do the math of what you are really consuming.  It is way too easy to think you are eating little when in reality you may be eating small portions of the wrong things.  Myfitnesspal is a wonder

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Laura in Texas
on 3/7/14 9:21 pm

I agree with this. I hope the OP gets out the measuring cups and food scale and tracks every bite. We do tend to eat way more than what we think we are.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

teachren
on 3/7/14 9:09 pm - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 05/13/13 with

I'm so sorry to hear about your family troubles. It's sad to see families have to deal with one crisis after another...I hope things have improved in regards to your children's health. :-)

In regards to yours, you are the key to taking charge of it. Thank you for being honest about what you are eating and sharing your struggle as I know it is difficult to admit. I am only 10 months out but have lost a considerable amount of weight. I found myself slipping back to adding in more carbs or a treat more than once a week. It happens...we get stressed...we get complacent...we think a little bit won't make that much of a difference. Obviously...we are wrong.

I agree with Dawn's suggestion of My Fitness Pal and truly logging what you are eating. It is only when we have a record that we can look for patterns in our eating. I recently did this and went back to what I was eating around month 6 and watched how my intake changed over the next few months. It was astonishing.

It's really not the quantity but rather the quality of what we are eating. If you choose quality food over just having a little bit of something that's not you can get yourself back on track. Everyone is different...some people let trigger foods or low quality foods back in their diet and maintain. Others...do not. You appear to be someone who doesn't have that luxury unfortunately. You knew what to do to lose the weight back in 08 so you know what to do now. :-)

Try to cut back on the carbs, up your protein and your water. It sounds like a broken record of advice but from my experience so far it's the only advice that really, truly seems to make a difference.

You had what it takes back then...and you have what it takes now to get the regain off! :-)

Good luck

150 pounds gone for now! :-)  Initial goal weight of 170 lbs met on March 7, 2014.  My 44 year old bones survived hiking 4 days overland to a highest point of 4700 metres! Machu Picchu goal...CONQUERED!

Most Active
Recent Topics