is it normal to have second thoughts sometimes?

taniagirlca
on 4/8/14 8:50 am

As I am inching closer to a possible surgery date, sometimes I get second thoughts about having it done, can I try to lose it on my own? I know the answer to that, probably not. Do I want my body rearranged permanently?

But then I remind myself, do I want high blood pressure, cholesterol, sleep apnea and sore knees?.....

finallyfree2beme
on 4/8/14 9:20 am

I questioned my need for surgery even though I clearly needed it, I was almost 400lbs. I even cancelled my surgery at one point only to rebook it again later. I was told to think about it and that I would have up to a year to reschedule without having to go through the whole process again. Let me tell you I am happy to have had the surgery but not everyone dumps and it is still hard work after to make the right choices, the restriction only does so much, head hunger still plays a huge role, if you struggled with food addiction before the surgery does nothing to fix that. Only you know if the surgery or the timing is right for you.

spicy_cyn
on 4/8/14 9:26 am - Welland, Canada

Yes it is very normal. I had them but, I am so very happy I had my sleeve done. Not saying that it has been easy, but worth it. Good luck and speedy recovery.

willotree
on 4/8/14 9:35 am - Canada

I think it's normal to have reservations about it from time to time. I know that i have. I am on the optifast now, and let me tell you, yesterday i wasn't sure i would make it! I was questioning this whole thing!

Orientation Feb/13- Scope Dec/13- Surgeon Dec/13-PATTS-March/28th-Surgery-April/28th/2014

4-Jane
on 4/8/14 10:36 am - Canada

Absolutely I too worried about altering my uniquely mine home made me. It helped to understand all that I was altering and the mechanics of the new me.  

Respectfully Jane
reenie33
on 4/8/14 11:06 am

Also remind yourself that each day your getting older. So what surgery permanently alters you... it alters you for betterment. Obesity related illness' can also permanently alter you for the irreparable bad. Ive not ever second guessed my choice, everytime I look in the mirror I LIKE what I see. I feel like living now.

Pamela.S.
on 4/8/14 12:10 pm - Canada

I think that if you didn't have any second thoughts it would mean that you haven't done enough serious thinking about this.  I too got overwhelmed with everything and decided to change centers, which slowed the process down a bit.  It gave me time to do more research, and ask questions on this forum, and try to lose on my own.......which I haven't.  I did ask if people were happy they had made this decision and so many people responded.  I've been thinking about this for over 10 years, so I shouldn't be afraid, but I was and probably will be again.  I still have months to go with my process, but I know in my heart that this is what I need to do for my health and my future.

Do some reading, ask questions on this forum and get ready to take your place on the bench - and keep one warm for me!

Referral Sept/13, changed centres to HRRH - Orientation Mar 24/14.  Feb 5, 2015 - SURGERY!!!! HW 286.4 SW 264

on 4/8/14 12:13 pm - Canada

Yuppers I had second thoughts last night.  I laid in bed for quite a long time wondering just like you  but this morning I am really ready for it.  April 22nd can't come fast enough for me.  Dont frett you will know when it all comes together.  :-)  Val

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/14 12:45 pm

One of the vets told me I had altered my body by becoming obese, carrying an extra 100 lbs alters your body internally as well as externally.  I am glad I altered my body for the better this time.

JennR
on 4/8/14 12:56 pm
Completely normal to have second and third and fourth thoughts. I think though you are being realistic by saying that you are probably not going to lose it on your own. Answer me this. Can you say with all honesty in your heart, mind and soul that you have done everything that you can reasonably do to lose weight? By that I mean recognizing that there are other issues going on, some kind of stuff (maybe emotional) that isn't going to be overcome quickly that caused you to gain weight in the first place. Other than that have you done everything you can do? I'll bet you'll say yes. If so than you have your answer. If in the last however many years you have not been able to lose weight than realistically you aren't going to in the future.

Most Active
Recent Topics