How did you spend your days after surgery?

redviking
on 4/17/14 1:13 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

I'm expecting my surgery to be early July-ish, which means I'll be off work, recovering in the middle of summer.  How did you feel? What did you do?  Will I be lying on the couch the whole time or can I make a couple day trips to the beach and enjoy the summer?  

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

Jiliana2
on 4/17/14 2:12 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I spent two weeks at home relaxing, sleeping, and sorting out schedules with a brand new stomach! It took awhile to get it all down pat, between the eating what when, the not drinking around meals (once you're back on solids) and of course, the new vitamin regime.

I was also told not to go anywhere for about four weeks post-op. I don't know if that means 'day trips' and things like that though. As long as it's driving distance, it shouldn't be too difficult I wouldn't think. As long as you CAN get to your centre if there's a problem, that would be the main concern initially.

I would ask your centre or your surgeon what their guidelines are. I'm sure they've encountered this before.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

bikinibound2014
on 4/17/14 2:28 am

I say take advantage of the summer weather if you feel up to it!!  I felt "back to normal" after a few days and actually felt a little guilty not being at work.

I was off in February/March so the weather was terrible.  I kept myself busy doing organizing projects around the house that I never get to do.  And my husband and I went on a couple antiquing day trips to Toronto which was fun.

Just take lots of water with you and have all your food in a cooler or something and stay on schedule with your eating.  Enjoy!!

HW 277.0 CW 273.0 Asked for Referral February 2013; Orientation @ Guelph May 16th, 2013; First Appointments July 24th; Nutrition Class August 7th; Second Appointments (& cleared) August 29th; Post Op Class December 9th; meet surgeon January 9th; PATTS Jan 14; Opti starts January 21; Surgery February 11th!

Delicious_Delilah
on 4/17/14 4:08 am - Ottawa, Canada

I took about 6 weeks off work during August/September timeframe, so weather was pretty good.  For the first two weeks, it was simply about recovering, napping, fitting in the food and liquids, etc.  I didn't go too far from home in those early days.  Once I had that under control, I upped my walking.  If the weather was nice, I would pick a neighbourhood I hadn't been to in a while, and take a leisurely walk and re-familiarize myself with my City.  If the neighbourhoods were a bit away from me, I would drive there, park, then explore.  At the same, I would do a bit of window shopping (and some real shopping), and just really enjoy being out and about.  It was a good way to get out of the house and get my walking in.  Towards the end, hit a museum or two.  After four weeks, got cleared for the pool...so started add in exercise (beyond walking) at that point.  I do know that I didn't feel comfortable eating away from the house for almost six weeks.  I was never sure what was going to sit well, and what wasn't.  So all my little trips we're in between food times.

It was overall a nice, relaxed recovery.  It was really the first two weeks that I found difficult.  I found that one day I would feel a bit better, but the next, it was like taking a step or two back...that lasted two to three weeks in total.  I also found that it took weeks if not months for me to get a good night's sleep.  So napping was essential throughout. 

Good luck with the surgery and recovery!

redviking
on 4/17/14 4:15 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

That sounds like a great plan!  I'm interested in what you said about having trouble sleeping. Was it because you napped too much in the day and you weren't tired or because you were uncomfortable? Or was it something else?

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

Delicious_Delilah
on 4/17/14 8:14 am - Ottawa, Canada

I don't think it had anything to do with napping, and not even discomfort or pain. Not sure what itis, but I've heard many say the same thing post surgery about not sleeping well. Even the naps were short, even though I could have used the sleep. Lasted six to eight weeks or so in my case. 

Most Active
Recent Topics