Question about protein shakes

(deactivated member)
on 4/22/14 12:24 pm

I had my surgery in Guelph on April 2nd and I am now on the full liquid diet. I keep reading about people drinking protein shakes as soon as they're home from the hospital. I don't see anything in our post op booklet about protein shakes, am I missing something? I'm currently getting in about 350 calories a day and 15-20 grams of protein a day. It dosent seem like enough and drinking protein probably helps with that. I should also add that even with my low caloric intact, I'm not loosing weight and have very low energy and frequent dizzy spells.

Thanks so much :)

Zizzler
on 4/22/14 12:46 pm

I thought the full fluids was only usually for about a week after surgery for most people?  how come you are still on it 20 days after surgery?  Dizzy spells do not sound good, be sure to contact your centre about that and what you should be eating at this point. The centre in Ottawa recommends protein shakes as soon as you get home.  Best of luck to you and let us know what you find out.

(deactivated member)
on 4/22/14 1:32 pm

Guelph does not want you to rely on protein shakes, they want you to get your protein from food. Stick to their plan for you. I have and its working very well. Good Luck!! 

(deactivated member)
on 4/22/14 9:04 pm

Thank you for the  clarification re protein shakes.  According To my paper work, I will be on full liquids until the 27th of April. Believe me, I'm tired of it! 

(deactivated member)
on 4/22/14 11:20 pm

Oh I know, lol... I was the same way. But it gets better. You only have a few more days left. 

19star71
on 4/23/14 12:13 am

Protein shakes are part of the full fluid stage. You need the protein and you should have been drinking them from the get go. I was given one before I even left the hospital.

Most centres want you to get off them once you can actually eat enough food to get your daily requirement of 60 grams. Until then, you should be taking them. Sixty grams a day.

Surgery done by Dr Gmora at St. Joe's in Hamilton. Feb 3/14-- Pre opti weight: 327. Feb 19th --Day of Surgery weight: 308.  Current weight :175

(deactivated member)
on 4/23/14 6:43 am

It's impossible for me to get in 60 grams of protein with what I'm eating and the amount I'm eating right now. Im not a big fan of dairy products but I'm eating Greek yogurt and yesterday I ate some cottage cheese (even though that wasn't on the list) to try to get some protein. I might have a hard time with protien even later when I can eat more, I don't eat any animals, eggs and I hate milk. 

Mary A.
on 5/6/14 1:56 am

wow things have changed in the last 5 years...when I was released from the hospital the bariatric team encouraged first and foremost getting liquids in, the protein part came a couple of weeks later.

at 1 month post-op I think you should be able to begin implementing whey protein into the foods you eat gradually cutting back the whey and relying on food.

I believe it's not possibly to obtain the amount of protein in the early stages from food....and having been trhough this before Ontario became accepting of bariatric surgery, I just shake my head at some of the things that I see written.

I am not a expert on bariatrics but if you are dizzy, I would suggest that you contact your (team) immediately as it is possible that the amount of protein your body is absorbing is not sufficient, they may also want to do some blood tests to see where those levels are at.  I can't remember what level of calories I was at way back then..but I would suggest you contact your team and explain your concerns to them directly.

As I have always said....the advice given from those of us who are further along, isn't professional, and should be questioned by yourself and then do what your mind and body tell you to.

Don't rely soley on the advice of people who have gone through this procedure as we are all unique and what would have benefitted one individual could actually cause harm to another.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics