Surgery and hospital items Optifast

DeeMishka
on 7/11/14 3:41 am
RNY on 08/08/14

I am getting ready for my surgery August 8th at HRRH and I was wondering if anyone has a list of things that made their stay at the hospital any easier also things that helped once home.

I have protein shakes, cream soups, water, sugar free koolaid flavor enhancer and all that stuff but wondering if there was anything not on the list that seemed to help.

Also looking to buy two cases of optifast from anyone in or around the Hamilton Ontario area.  

Linsie
on 7/11/14 6:44 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 05/22/14

Hello and congrats on your upcoming surgery!!!!! Bring slippers, a house coat, toothbrush/paste, brush (shampoo...I was there for quite a few days and their shampoo was baby stuff and sucked). Also bring (if you can) a tablet of some sort if you have one, and earphones. I downloaded movies on my Playbook before I went so I was entertained and not too bored. Some hospitals have crappy pillows, so you may want your own as well, mine was good though if I used my housecoat behind it lol. Also...bring a pad or two - sometimes with anaesthesia and the hormones in your body, you could get your period (I did anyway) and the pads they have at the hospital are mattresses that require full out pillowcases to house them properly! better to be safe than sorry! I brought little things too like lip chap and hand lotion....but that's my own addiction lol

Linsie
on 7/11/14 6:46 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 05/22/14

Oh and....sorry forgot something: I had lots of issues eating clear fluids and all that after surgery. I actually drank diluted Powerade Zero, and bought sugarfree freezies. They surprisingly went down well unlike jello did (and pudding...and the other mush I could eat).  Now i'm done :o)

DeeMishka
on 7/11/14 8:29 am
RNY on 08/08/14

Awesome thank you very much I will be sure to add these items to my list.

Brittany_31113
on 7/11/14 7:00 am

The one thing that I used most while in the hospital was lip chap!!! Waking up from surgery my mouth and lips where soo dry! Also take slip on slippers... I took the bootie kind... big mistake Lol. I also took a few baby spoons to the hospital, they helped me to take smaller bites. 

As for at home, one of the best thing I ever bought where mini ice cube trays. I know that 3 equal 1 oz so i suck on 3 every 15 mins.

Good luck on opti :) its not as bad as some people say. I didnt like the vanilla,  so I added a little coco powder to mine... the chocolate I loveddd! If you add a little peppermint extract and some ice it feet like I was eating a melted version of mint chip ice cream :)

"The First step towards getting somewhere is to decide that your not going to stay where you are" - John pierpoint morgan

Referral- April 27,2013   Orientation class- may 29, 2013   Meet the surgeon,SW,dietitian - July 20, 2013  Dr Glazier- October 4,2013  Sleep study- October 10,2013   Dr Glazier again- October 16,2013   SW,dietitian again- February 2,2014    DR Sohi- march 4,2014   Start Opti- June 11,2014  SURGERY- July 2,2014

DeeMishka
on 7/11/14 8:30 am
RNY on 08/08/14

That's a good idea for the slippers I had slippers on my list but didn't really give it much thought on which kind... Thank You

Maricw
on 7/11/14 1:28 pm - Oshawa, Canada

I am having surgery the day before there..... Good luck and we may actually meet up on our walk...

Referral - October 3-2013 /  Family Dr. Confirmed - October  31-2013 /  Orientation call - November 11-2013 / Orientation (HRRH) -November 25-2013 / 1st  Surgeon Appt (Dr Huynh) - January 14-2014 /  SW/RN/RD - January 17-2014 / Dr Glazer March 25-2014/ 2nd Surgeon Appt (Dr Huynh)- April 10-2014 / Surgery date - August 7-2014

DeeMishka
on 7/11/14 2:03 pm
RNY on 08/08/14

Awesome and ya more then likely will meet on our walks or might even end up room mates lol Goodluck and who is your surgeon?

Maricw
on 7/11/14 10:27 pm - Oshawa, Canada

That would be awesome, my Dr is Huynh ...I am so excited and can't wait....finally it's my time and I am so ready for it..... My wait time has went by so quickly.....who is your surgeon? 

Referral - October 3-2013 /  Family Dr. Confirmed - October  31-2013 /  Orientation call - November 11-2013 / Orientation (HRRH) -November 25-2013 / 1st  Surgeon Appt (Dr Huynh) - January 14-2014 /  SW/RN/RD - January 17-2014 / Dr Glazer March 25-2014/ 2nd Surgeon Appt (Dr Huynh)- April 10-2014 / Surgery date - August 7-2014

4-Jane
on 7/11/14 3:01 pm - Canada

A Baggie for your chap lip so it does not roll onto the floor, a lock incase your room has lockers a TWH they did, some use a pillow for the ride home. I would have liked an extra warm blanket.  Some posters bring ear plugs.  Others talk about the charging systems for any electronics they bring, I've read of some bringing gas x stripes I did not but some do.  Your cap machine if you have one. Once home I made sure I had everything I could possible need in case of constipation, regular strength Tylenol, as well as over the counter Tylenol ones, not as strong as perscription but stronger than extra strength. I mad sure I had milk, cottage cheese, yogurt, home made broth frozen in ice cube trays and home made sugar free apple sause frozen in ice cube trays as well. I have read that some brought a small fan to keep themselves cool, while in the hospital.  Some bring baby wipes to the hospital to keep themselves clean and fresh feeling.  At home I used glass small storage containers a lot as well as small bowls plates spoons and forks.  Walmart sells drinking glasses or measuring cups that function as a drinking cup that measures fluid as well two sizes five oz and standard eight oz size, I used other measuring cups and spoons as well as a strainer for the soups.  Good luck on your journey......

Respectfully Jane
Most Active
Recent Topics