Reactive Hypoglycemia

gunnabehealthy
on 7/21/14 2:28 am

Wondering how many of us that have had a RNY done, have reactive hypoglcemia? I have had a few episodes of this and know what to do, but boy you feel weird!! Last night I used my husband's glucometer, and low and behold my BS was 2.6!! So I had 4 oz of OJ and started to feel better. I know why I got it, too much of complex carbs. I consider it a late dumping episode. The first couple of times it happened, I wasn't quite sure what to do or what it was. But if anyone has some pointers on this subjuct it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Lisa

gunnabehealthy
on 7/21/14 2:33 am

Sorry, not complex carbs, but simple carbs and high in sugar!  OOPS!!

Laurie C.
on 7/21/14 7:53 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

Hi Lisa:

I have this and have been put on a medication by Dr. Glazer at Humber.  Acarbose  is working well for me.  Diminishing Dawn has the best information and

I'm sure she will chime in.  She was a very great help to me and I appreciated all her knowledge.  Even if you pm'd her she would be happy to help I'm sure.  You should get your own glucometer and it isn't always the simple carbs and sugars, also get some Dex 4 tabs at the pharmacy and use them.  OJ wouldn't be enough for me.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

kellybelly333
on 7/21/14 11:39 am - Toronto, Canada

I'm typing in my phone, so just brief here. I have learned that after you get your sugars back up (like after you have your juice) follow it up with protein about 20 minutes after. This will prevent another drop after your initial spike.  This doesn't always happen, but it's good practice just in case.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

(deactivated member)
on 7/22/14 11:54 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

I also have this problem from time to time. I keep a package of "dex 4" (a diabetic glucose tab) with me at all times. Take one at the first sign of symptoms and then once they have passed eat something small that contains both a protein and a carb like peanut butter or cheese on a cracker.

Dawn is the expert on this so she is the one to answer all your questions.    

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/24/14 6:02 am - Windsor, Canada

It's estimated from anywhere between 20% to 47% to 72% depending what study you read...but regardless it's a darn high number.  As people in my support group get close to that one year out mark, I tell them to watch for signs.  I've been in online chats with members as they were feeling the first symptoms and walking them through the process of dealing with it.  lol.  It can be a crazy world when you have RH.  I was actually expecting to have it, recognized my symptoms and educated my doc who didn't know about it.   Anyway, for the past 6 years I've learned to manage it fairly well and will gladly walk anyone through any information on it.

You know exactly the cause - the carbs.  Sugar and/or carbs because carbs turn into sugar in our blood stream.  By and large for most of us, it is WHAT we are eating that is causing the problem.  Once we get past that first year mark or at an early goal weight, we tend to start playing with more off program foods.... I wasn't the exception on this I am sure :)  Something that seems fairly innocuous can make us drop.  For instance, a small french vanilla cappucino or an ice capp from Tim's can be enough.  The thing to remember is that this is late stage dumping - so yep, it's that carb and sugar that will get us every time.

The best suggestion I can make is for you to see your doctor and get a glucometer. The key to managing those times where you do indulge a little more (anything over 25 carbs at a time) is to know when your drop occurs (for me its at around 1 hour and 15 minutes) and to combat it with a carb and a protein.  Bring it back up and hold it there with the protein.  Peanut butter on a cracker, dex tabs and cheesestrings, apple with peanut butter, juice and a handful of nuts or cheesestring etc.  I  have a pamphlet. Send me your email if you need it.  

Now if you are dropping fast, you don't have time generally to wait for food to digest to bring blood sugar back up, you instead need a fast acting sugar. Those little packs of honey that you get at breakfast places are awesome.  1/4 cup of juice.  Even skittles will work in a hurry or icing sugar.  Liquid form is usually best if you are just about to pass out because once hubby tried to give me a spoonful of sugar and I couldn't figure out how to chew. 

A lot of RHers do a paleo or primal type diet if they find their blood sugars are to the extreme...but myself, I just have to watch for things over 25 grams of sugar and be prepared to bump myself up as needed.  It's very manageable.  You just have to learn to manage it.

Welcome to the RH club. We do not charge a membership to be one of the wonderful crew lol

Message me anytime if I can help,

Dawn :)

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active
Recent Topics