I have a dumb question - sorry - but what are slider foods?

Dreamy74
on 7/22/14 1:38 am
RNY on 02/04/15

I have been reading a lot on OH and everyone says they omit slider foods after surgery.  What are slider foods?  I am sorry for such a dumb question - I am thinking it's ice cream and stuff that slides down easily but please veterans, could you please clarify for me?

Thanks in advance.  

Catw
on 7/22/14 2:00 am - Arnprior, Canada

It's not a dumb question.  Slider foods are ones that are easy to eat but don't stay in your stomach long.  For a period of time you will need these foods, but once you are on solids, they shouldn't be your sole source of nutrition. The reason being that because they don't stay in your stomach as long, you are hungry earlier than you would with more solid food.  Slider foods would be like cream soups, yogurts, applesauces, etc.

As I said, you will need to use these for a period of time, as your tummy is sensitive and still healing.  You can still eat soup but would try for one with more protein and veggies in it instead of a strained cream soup.

Cathy

Karen M.
on 7/22/14 2:11 am, edited 7/22/14 2:12 am - Mississauga, Canada

Sliders are basically anything that can be chewed down to a fine powder/paste. To add to Cathy's list - crackers, melba toast, potato chips - stuff like that.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

kellybelly333
on 7/22/14 2:38 am - Toronto, Canada

Popcorn is my slider food....I can eat a ton of that!!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

KerryF.
on 7/22/14 2:20 am - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

This is the definition that was given to me 2 days post-op

Understanding Slider Foods

The most commonly consumed slider foods include pretzels, crackers (saltines, graham, Ritz, etc.) filled cracker snacks such as Ritz Bits, popcorn, cheese snacks (Cheetos) or cheese crackers, tortilla chips with salsa, potato chips, sugar-free cookies, cakes, and candy. You will notice these slider foods are often salty and cause dry mouth so they must be ingested with liquid to be palatable. This is how they become slider foods. They are also, most often, void of nutritional value.

For weight loss surgery patients the process of digestion is different than those who have not undergone gastric surgery. When slider foods are consumed they go into the stomach pouch and exit directly into the jejunum where the simple carbohydrate slurry is quickly absorbed and stored by the body. There is little thermic effect in the digestion of simple carbohydrates like there is in the digestion of protein so little metabolic energy is expended. In most cases patients in the phase of weight loss who eat slider foods will experience a weight loss plateau and possibly the setback of weight gain. And sadly, they will begin to believe their surgical stomach pouch is not functioning properly because they never feel fullness or restriction like they experience when eating protein.

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

Dreamy74
on 7/22/14 2:41 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Thank you everyone!  This is great information!!  xxoo

Mary A.
on 7/30/14 2:24 am, edited 7/30/14 2:26 am

and slider foods can lead to a VERY slippery slope (for some)~!! and those foods can come back iinto our lives to easily and in too large of a portion.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics