Protein Help

TiffanyandCo
on 7/29/14 12:15 pm - Canada

Hey guys im almost 3 months post op and im having a hard time with protein. i can not stand the taste of protein powders. i have tried everything (vanilla, chocolate, cookies and cream, chocolate peanut butter etc...) i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? is there a fruit punch protein powered. i have the bars but people have told me that they cause stalls in weight loss.

Soon_to_Shrink
on 7/29/14 12:59 pm

I don't know about your center but by 1 month out Ottawa expects you to no longer use protein powder and be relying on real food for your protein needs.  If you're still having trouble with solids you can still mash a purée beans, tuna, salmon, ham, turkey etc.  Also soft cheeses and Greek yogurt are other high protein options.

TiffanyandCo
on 7/29/14 1:15 pm - Canada

My centre told me to continue taking protein because I need 100g per day (something about my age, gender etc) 

Soon_to_Shrink
on 7/30/14 1:59 pm
Your right it is best to follow your center's recommendation. I am getting 100g plus a day on real food though everyone's pouch tolerance is different. There are a couple of things you can try. Most stores carry soy isolate gel. It comes in little packs and is fruit flavoured. I think it is may be the Powerbar people and you can get it at Walmart, Shopper's ,even corner stores. It is isolate so the protein we need post rny. I find these good to keep in the car or my purse if you're stuck somewhere where there is nothing suitable. Unjury (online) makes a chicken soup flavoured protein powder. I found this really helpful after surgery. You can mix it with a cup of water for soup or 1/8 cup for more of a gravy which I blended with meats or put on mashed potatoes. I also blended unflavoured power into mashed potatoes, soups, etc to up the protein content. Hopes this helps, I know it can be frustrating finding the right combination that works best for you.
TiffanyandCo
on 7/30/14 2:02 pm - Canada

Thanks these are great suggestions I will definitely try them... Hope it helps :)

jessiak
on 7/29/14 1:14 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada

I haven't had surgery yet, so I don't have personal experience.. but just throwing these ideas out there..

Could you take unflavoured protein and flavour it how you want (jello packs, food flavouring, etc)?
I order a lot of protein from vitamart.ca (My husband is a strongman/power lifter, so we go through a lot), and a quick search on there 'fruit protein' brought up quite a few different types. You could maybe check and see what would suit you best nutritionally. 

Referral sent : July 29, 2014 |  Orientation : Oct 17, 2014  |  Blood work & ECG : Oct 20, 2014  |  Medical Intake : Oct 23, 2014  | Ultrasound Appt : Nov 3, 2014 | Dietician : Nov 5th, 2014  |   Psychologist : Nov 6, 2014  | Opti : Jan 15th |  Surgery : Jan 28th

Mary A.
on 7/30/14 2:34 am

the only thing I think you should try flavouring anything with is sugar free syrups..jello powders and food flavourings usually have high fructose or other sugars

you  also have to make sure it's low carb, sugar free and NOT the kind that strongman/power lifters use..you are looking for an entirely different TYPE of protein, they are using theirs to bulk up and use their muscle stores, you are looking to maintain weight loss and keep up your intake of protein.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

GiGisGirl
on 7/29/14 2:22 pm

Try getting the unflavoured protein powders, and carnation FF milk powders and add them to all your food.  Masks the taste, smell, texture..... I hate protein shakes too!

Catw
on 7/29/14 11:55 pm - Arnprior, Canada

I'm not sure about Fruit Punch as a specific flavor, Webber has a Mango Peach (I got it at Shoppers) and there is a 4Ever Fit that is fruit juice flavors.  I have strawberry kiwi (not my fav flavor but want to use it up) but they had other flavors there, just not sure which.  I think I got it at Popeyes, but not sure.  The others like GNC might have it as well.

Cathy

Mary A.
on 7/30/14 2:31 am

this brand of protein was used by several individuals at our weight loss group...I was told that individual serving type pckgs could be bought as well

http://www.netrition.com/syntrax_nectar_page.html

I use a unflavoured low carb whey protein (even 5 1/2 yrs later) when I need it and I mix it with 1 small banana, a tablespoon of orange juice (or sugar free syrup)...and 3 ice cubes I then put it in a large cup that has a sippy cup type hole (travel mug?)...that way you don't smell much of the flavour.

you sound very much like I was in the first stages I actually tried at least a dozen different brands/favours of whey protein and actually could only do protein bullets back then..until I found my unflavoured one.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics