Caffeine

Blueiiis
on 7/29/14 10:37 pm, edited 7/29/14 10:42 pm - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Does coffee have to be caffeine free when mixing with Opti? I don't drink any other caffeine product, and it's not everyday. Picked up a black coffee from Tim's this morning to add to my lunch shake, then got to thinking I should have chosen decaf?

Karen M.
on 7/29/14 10:39 pm - Mississauga, Canada

From everything I have read here over the past few years it seems to be caffeine free. It wasn't a requirement for me, but the very vast majority now have to do decaf, yes.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Catw
on 7/29/14 11:58 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Yes, you should have gotten decalf.  I think it's because they want us to be as gental as we can with out tummies so that it's easeir for them to heal.  Caffiene can be a stomach irritant, and be rough on the lining.

Cathy

Sassy75
on 7/30/14 3:05 am - North York, Canada

I am at TWH and in our book that they give us, is says fluids we can have while on opti, black coffee, green, black or white tea.... Does not say decaf anywhere. (Page 65 of the book) you likely have this book as you are at TWH too ;) hope this helps!!

Karen M.
on 7/30/14 3:25 am - Mississauga, Canada

They don't say decaf?

Interesting, good to know. And I had to laugh that you're looking at page 65.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Blueiiis
on 7/30/14 3:07 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

I do have that book, but it's at home! I knew we could do black tea or coffee.... To be safe next time will order decaf.  

Sassy75
on 7/30/14 3:57 am - North York, Canada

Lol, I knew she would likely have the book so thought I would be helpful and provide the page so she could look :) 

here is a copy/paste of what is says:

What is a calorie-free fluid?

Here is a list of calorie-free fluids you can drink.

Drink 6 to 8 cups a day while preparing for surgery.

water
black coffee or tea with artificial sweetener
green, herbal or white tea
chicken, beef or vegetable broth. Read the label to make sure they have less than 10 calories in a serving
calorie free beverages such as sugar free drink crystals, diet iced tea, diet pop sugar-free Jell-O®
sugar-free Popsicles®. You can buy these or make your own using calorie free drinks

Remember to avoid carbonated beverages (diet pop) after surgery. 

Most Active
Recent Topics